SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#275177 - 11/06/09 08:41 AM Re: Hmmmmm?....very interesting read.....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
SNOWING!!?? I have a guy mowing my grass right now. It's going to be in the 70s today.
Wind gusts to about 2 mph. Thought I saw a small cloud too.
Seriously, we are still bailing out from record-setting rainfall in October. Many homes flooded when dams broke. My only damage was carpet in the spare bedroom, but putting sandbags around the patio kept it out of the rest of the house.
The area was hit by several small tornadoes last week too. There were only a few hurt, but there was quite a lot of property damage.
All things considered, I'd rather have snow.
Ian, I'll bet the old folks at the nursing homes would love to see you arrive on a snowmobile with the 910 under your arm.
DonM

#275178 - 11/06/09 08:48 AM Re: Hmmmmm?....very interesting read.....
big741.1 Offline

Loc: Edmonton,Canada
No doubt the snowmobile would be a Yamaha...

#275179 - 11/06/09 09:03 AM Re: Hmmmmm?....very interesting read.....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
SNOWING!!?? I have a guy mowing my grass right now. It's going to be in the 70s today.
Ian, I'll bet the old folks at the nursing homes would love to see you arrive on a snowmobile with the 910 under your arm.
DonM

It's stopped snowing, and it's now raining heavy...still yeeechy out there.

We have the strangest weather...plus 30 Celsius in the summer...minus 30 in the winter...I guess that's why my home town is called Glace Bay..."Glace" means "Ice".

Of course, at least the weather isn't boring.

I did some NH gigs several years ago...I'm not a singer, so I hired a guy to do just the vocals.

We did pretty good, but he fell off the wagon, and arrived drunk enough for two people at the gig...that ended his career, and I never did get back into it...got other work instead.

You're lucky to have a fine singing voice, plus, being able to play very well...you have a lot more options that way.

Never did get a snowmobile...they're for sissies in these parts.

#275180 - 11/06/09 09:32 AM Re: Hmmmmm?....very interesting read.....
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Ian, the main reason I don't currently have a B3 is that since I took (really) early retirement in '92, we have traveled a lot, buying new real estate as we went along and moving often (Witness Protection program is tough ). Sold my beautiful C3 and Leslie 122 when we moved to Hawaii, bought a chopped B3 and Leslie while in Hawaii which I sold when we left in 2004. I only bought the Nord when I decided to start gigging again and wanted something 'light' and portable. Needless to say, the Nord C1 was a godsend. I always intended (and still do) to have a B3 in my home. At 34lbs, jams at home with the C1 are not a problem (drums are the problem, hence my getting a DM-10 kit to stay permanently in my home studio).

We just got an offer on our house over in the country club and if that works out I'll be checking in with fellow Synthzoner Bill Lewis (if his 'cherry' B3 is still available) and also probably replacing our Yamaha Upright with the best 5-6' Grand we can afford. This is mostly for aesthetics but beats leaving it all to the grandkids . I'm a little nervous about securing maintenance for the Hammond but have found two (Hammond techs) within a short distance from my home. Apparently there are always some around large cities to maintain the fairly large population of Hammonds still in a lot of (especially southern) churches.

Man oh man, I can't believe you're seeing snow already. I'm shivering just thinking about it. Might be a good time for you to swing south (visit me and Diki and DonM and Saxman and any other warm-climate souls willing to put up with a Canadian for a short period ).

Yeah, it is too bad about 'Frasier' and 'Ali', but don't worry, they'll be back, bloodied and bruised, but unbowed. Hopefully, some lessons will be learned as a result. Anyhow, looks like Fran will have to return to give his own scintillating 'reviews' during the interim.

It just occurred to me, with the competition temporarily disqualified, you should be a shoo-in for our MotorPoster of the Month award......well, you would be if Canadians were eligible . Just curious, Ian, how long does it take you to thoroughly learn a new 'board before you are able to present it in a clinic and having to answer all those idiot questions from old men (or drummers) who've never seen a synth before and who just recently figured out how a two-way light switch works.

Ok, my word allotment's up. Ciao.

chas

#275181 - 11/06/09 10:42 AM Re: Hmmmmm?....very interesting read.....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Chas,

One of my Yammie bosses used to do something similar...buy a house, move in, renovate it generically, but very nice, and then sell it at a profit...he always picked homes in terrific surroundings(location, location, location) and ones that required modest work...his wife is a pretty skilled interior decorator...the last house they actually built for about 500G...a golf course went up a year after...the house is worth 1.5 million....dumb like a fox!

I'm too lazy for stuff like that...I live very laid back...got divorced some time ago; no kids, no responsibilities, so it's "come day, go day" for me, and I like it that way.

The Yamaha's are easy to learn...I've had to do clinics with no preparation at all...keyboard arrived at the store when I did.

I usually get the clients to "help" me learn the instrument when that happens...works in my favor, most of the time.

Fortunately, Yamaha's incremental(but still logical) upgrades assure that the basic OS is almost the same from year to year...it changed a bit after the PSR-9000 Pro, but if you can work one, you can get along with any of them. I can usually work my way through a new instrument in a few hours, if I'm under pressure....but that rarely happens

I love it here on the island...sure, the weather is a little extreme, but we never get cyclones, twisters, and floods.

The town I live in just got traffic lights this year...actually made things worse.

It's a small town...they had to close the town library because someone stole the book.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 11-06-2009).]

#275182 - 11/06/09 01:01 PM Re: Hmmmmm?....very interesting read.....
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I kinda' look at Yamaha's arranger keyboard like the older Volkswagen Beetles. They pretty much didn't change the basic design, but in the end there always seemed to be lots of new features. While my latest upgrade was the PSR-3000, I get lots of emails and calls from folks who want me to help them with their S910, T2, T3, etc.. Most of the time I can steer them in the right direction and solve their problems. If not, I have them post their questions on the PSR Tutorial site, which usually results in an answer within an hour or less.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online