SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#274702 - 10/29/09 09:03 AM Lyrics files
jdx Offline

Loc: Liverpool U.K.
Does anyone know how to change the font size for multiple existing Microsoft word documents.

I have hundreds of lyrics files on my laptop and I need to make the font bigger and changing them one at a time would be a big job.

I know how to change the default size but this would only apply to future documents.

Can anyone help....... Thanks.

#274703 - 10/29/09 10:33 AM Re: Lyrics files
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Could you change your screen resolution to something that makes EVERYTHING bigger?

#274704 - 10/29/09 11:53 AM Re: Lyrics files
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I doubt you can do it in an automated way. Well, it might be possible somehow, but some of the lines wouldn't be right on some songs. The length of lines varies song to song.

This is of no help but as I started typing lyric sheets years ago, I made the font the largest it could possibly be and fit on a page. Most of my songs are in font size 18, even 20. I use Arial font, don't recommend a fancy font.

#274705 - 10/29/09 12:03 PM Re: Lyrics files
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki hit the nail on the head. About a year ago I purchased a new laptop, one that has a tiny, 9-inch screen, weighs just under 2 pounds, and does everything. Over the years I have accumulated about 600 lyrics pages, all done in MS Word, mainly in 14 to 18 point font. On my old laptop, with it's 15-inch widescreen display, you could see the words from 10 feet away. When loaded into the new laptop, those letters were tiny and my aging eyes really had trouble reading them from just 2-feet away. I lowered the display resolution, the letter (and everything else) got larger, then saved the settings. Of course, this made the icons and the associated titles huge. I went into the page properties, made the icons and program titles smaller and the problem was solved.

To my knowledge there is no blanket method of converting all of the files with a single keystroke.

Couple things I forgot to mention that may help. In addition to the above, instead of using MS Word to open the lyrics pages, I made the files open with Word Pad, which is somewhat like a miniature version. Open the file in Word Pad, click on "View", then uncheck all the viewable items such as the tool bar, etc... This allows you to have the maximum amount of text viewable on the page. If you need to use any of those items you can always reopen them, make the necessary changes, then close them.

I also eliminated the Word Wrap feature. This spreads the text across the entire width of the screen instead of having it constrained with the page margins. All of this combined makes for easy on the eyes text displays.

One final thought. I use Times New Roman, Bold, and all caps, black letters against a white background. Really shows up quite well.

Good Luck,

Gary

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 10-29-2009).]

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#274706 - 10/29/09 01:02 PM Re: Lyrics files
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Or you can use Word, and select full screen.
My version of Wordpad will open some of the Word files, but some of the ones created on older versions of Word, won't open in Wordpad.
In the past couple of years I've started using Open Office, and I don't even have Word on my laptop now.
It works great and it's FREE.
I did manage to figure out how to batch-convert .doc files to .txt files, in order to load them into my various keyboards.
You have to jump through a couple of hoops, but once you know the routine it's easy to do.
One of the best parts of using Word, or OO, is that you can sort the files by alphabet, artist, genre, or whatever else criteria you select. So if I get a large tip from someone wanting a "Van Morrison" song for example, just sort by artist, and then hit V and you are there. My memory has gotten a lot better since I started using a laptop for lyrics I don't necessarily do very often and/or don't remember.
DonM

#274707 - 10/29/09 04:15 PM Re: Lyrics files
jdx Offline

Loc: Liverpool U.K.
Thanks for the advice folks.... and yes I too have a miniature laptop with a very small screen.

My problem though is as I said having to alter the font size on all my existing documents (screen resolution is biggest possible Diki)

Cheers guys.

#274708 - 10/29/09 09:19 PM Re: Lyrics files
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I'm still using WORD on my gig laptop....but have been installing Open Office on my clients' computers if they don't already have MS office suite. One installation gives you soup to nuts...or word processing to spreadsheets and more.

A great find.

Eddie

#274709 - 10/30/09 02:23 AM Re: Lyrics files
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Eddie
Do you know if Open Office is upgraded to be compatible with Windows 7 ?

Bernie

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online