Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11 >
Topic Options
#273895 - 10/17/09 02:41 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:

Hi Mac
Have to disagree there, binaural recording had nothing to do with listening to the recordings over speakers, it was a recording technique to allow headphone users to hear the sound naturally rather then inside the head.
Essentially a Dummy head was made....

That came long after the original use of the term as binaural recording.

But I do remember the dummy heads. They were even used in attempts to recreate for speaker use at some point also. Didn't work all that well, actually.

In both cases, I am now old enough to make the claim, "Hell, I was THERE!"

--Mac

[This message has been edited by --Mac (edited 10-17-2009).]
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#273896 - 10/17/09 08:14 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
zuki Offline

Wow,

Played a rather large gig tonight (for me). Several Catholic schools came in for a Retirement/High School combination prom night. About 150 people. The solo Bose smoked. Everyone had a good time. The youngsters loved it, as I laid out the rock and roll. Had a great time. 2 Bose and I'm off and running.................

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#273897 - 10/17/09 08:15 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Wow,

Played a rather large gig tonight (for me). Several Catholic schools came in for a Retirement/High School combination prom night. About 150 people. The solo Bose smoked. Everyone had a good time. The youngsters loved it, as I laid out the rock and roll. Had a great time. 2 Bose and I'm off and running.................

#273898 - 10/18/09 07:40 AM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I've been using the Bose Model II for some time and love the vocal sound produced, as well as the guitar sound (solo act). But when I added two small keyboard amps to the mix, wow, what a much bigger, fuller sound. I'm using premixed stereo rhythm tracks from a laptop, which has two audio outputs. One goes to the Bose, the other to the two amps. Even at low volume (cocktail, dinner music), the room is full of sound. It's hard to go back to the Bose alone after hearing the "almost" stereo surround effect.

#273899 - 10/19/09 01:59 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
shiral Offline

Loc: IL, USA
Does somebody who owns two BC's but has not observed much of a stereo effect care to try it again with a larger separation between speakers? From Ian's observation and how sound from BC's drops with distance (much slower), I wonder if the amount of separation one normally places similar conventional speakers with is too short for Bose linear speaker arrays.

Thanks
Shiral

#273900 - 10/19/09 02:25 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Still waiting for someone OTHER than Gary to claim that stereo separation with Bose sticks actually IS worse than normal speakers. Ian has stated with HIS pair that the stereo sweet spot is actually LARGER than conventional systems. A direct contradiction. So before this all gets out of hand, perhaps we ought to find out if this is REALLY a problem, or just one person's opinion?

#273901 - 10/19/09 02:39 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
shiral Offline

Somehow, I don't find Ian's observation contradictory. Sound emanating from a linear source (BC) drops slower compared to that from a point source (conventional). So, to observe the same kind of drop you need to move further hence the expanded sweet spot. Basically, due to slower drop of sound strength with distance, all the effective physical dimensions (separation between speakers, where you sense the sweet spot, where it ends, etc..) get expanded too. ...just the way I see it.

Shiral

#273902 - 10/19/09 02:46 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
shiral Offline

I see, Diki. You meant observations by Gary and Ian contradict; not that Ian's observation contradicts with what's expected.

#273903 - 10/19/09 03:28 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The enlarged stereo sweet spot was quite evident on both Bose systems...the L1's and the Compacts.

If it was only me who heard the systems and remarked how much better the stereo was than conventional speakers, then I would say it was just my own perception.

Thing is, several professional entertainers were at a few of my gigs and remarked on the L1 in stereo.

The Compacts were tried out in the store proper, and again, later on, in a large hall.

In this case, there were several other people interested in hearing the Compacts in stereo...afterwards, a couple of them ordered and bought two Compacts, when initially, they were only going to buy one.

I haven't bought mine yet...looks like they may have to wait until the new year.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 10-19-2009).]

#273904 - 10/19/09 04:17 PM Re: Really dumb question about the Bose System
doc-z Offline

Loc: Norway
My guess for the more dramatic stereo effect is that the Bose systems are Line Arrays. Each of the speaker elements in a Line Array has a much more concentrated sound direction than normal PA (or HiFi speakers for that matter).

Doc-Z

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online