SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#2738 - 12/30/02 10:14 PM Pitch bend wheels still being used
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been noticeing that a lot of manufactures are still useing wheels for pitch bend and modulation. Is this cheaper then a joystick? I know Korg and Roland use joysticks for pitch bend and modulation. Or is it just Korg and Roland just being different?

#2739 - 12/31/02 02:43 AM Re: Pitch bend wheels still being used
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
It is more a matter of taste. One is no better or cheaper than the other. Personally I much prefer using a pitch wheel rather than a joystick. It may just be that it is what I have become accustomed to using over the years. Maybe if I had always used joysticks I would prefer them instead.

#2740 - 12/31/02 05:18 AM Re: Pitch bend wheels still being used
Pilot Offline

Loc: Ontario,Canada
I've never found a use for the pitch wheel. Since I play with both hands all the time I've never been able to reach it. I use the modulation wheel a lot though and I find it strange that you always get a pitch wheel but not always a mod wheel.

Bryan

#2741 - 12/31/02 11:51 AM Re: Pitch bend wheels still being used
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks guys!

#2742 - 01/01/03 04:04 AM Re: Pitch bend wheels still being used
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I only ever use the pitch wheel when I am doing the occasional solo with my right hand leaving my left hand free. I play guitar as well, so I like to be able to pitch bend keyboard solos in the same manner as guitar solos.

#2743 - 01/01/03 07:39 AM Re: Pitch bend wheels still being used
Llyren Offline

I never use pitch bend or modulation, but if I were to I'd be happier with the both-in-one joystick my Roland XP-10 uses because of the tendency to return to the neutral position. I also sometimes use my brother's Yamaha CS2X, which has wheels that stay put wherever you leave 'em set, and I don't really like that - simply because I don't like what the controls do to the sound ^_-

#2744 - 01/02/03 06:26 PM Re: Pitch bend wheels still being used
danb Offline

Ribbon controller and a six-string controller should replaced them. I don't like the joystick either.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online