SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#272316 - 09/29/09 11:23 AM First look at PSR-S910
Beakybird Offline

Just some rapid thoughts.

Music Finder now works with USB files.
Styles sound better than S900 because of added megabrass and megastrings. Some with same names reworked.
Screen looks great.
OS feels the same.
New voices like S.A. organs sound very realistic to me.
T3 styles load ok but many voices are missing. Many are probably mega voices and these are a pain in the behind to change if there is no corresponding mega voice in the S910. I would just go with the converted T3 styles that sound better than I thought.
A lot of great OTS's (One touch settings) that take advantage of the additional voices.
Old registrations work fine.

I'm happy I made the upgrade.

Beakybird

#272317 - 09/29/09 11:31 AM Re: First look at PSR-S910
zuki Offline

Good luck with your new live keyboard - I'm sure you'll make it sound terrific for your audiences

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#272318 - 09/29/09 11:56 AM Re: First look at PSR-S910
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Sounds like you're pleased, Larry...can't wait to get mine.

Good early review.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 09-29-2009).]

#272319 - 09/29/09 12:04 PM Re: First look at PSR-S910
Telmo Offline

Loc: Brazil - South America
Hi Beakybird, whenever you have a chance, could you try loading any Psr-OR700 style to see if it's compatible with the S910??

#272320 - 09/29/09 12:39 PM Re: First look at PSR-S910
Beakybird Offline

Will look at OR700 file sometime relatively soon.

Music rack is slightly embellished with rubbery pads on the inserts so that it sticks and stays in the kb rock solid.

Beakybird

#272321 - 09/29/09 02:39 PM Re: First look at PSR-S910
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Great information, Larry. Hopefully, I'll have my hands on one by Thursday.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#272322 - 09/29/09 03:39 PM Re: First look at PSR-S910
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Larry, Congratulations enjoy the S910.

#272323 - 09/29/09 03:43 PM Re: First look at PSR-S910
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
Music Finder now works with USB files.

Hi Larry: Wow... very "newsworthy" news and worth me posting again after an extended absence here.

Because I almost exclusively create custom tailored styles (vs unaltered factory ones), the added ability to have the Music Finder call them up from the USB Stick finally solves the 2MB maximum internal user storage limitation of the S900 and Tyros3. The only limitation to the number of styles you can call up from Music Finder now is the storage capacity of the USB stick itself.

I've been asking Yamaha for this feature for a long time so glad they finally came thru. Now if only the Music Finder could store song transpose settings too. S920 perhaps?

Scott

------------------
Scott Yee Entertainment

#272324 - 09/29/09 04:30 PM Re: First look at PSR-S910
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Hi Larry: Wow... very "newsworthy" news and worth me posting again after an extended absence here.

Because I almost exclusively create custom tailored styles (vs unaltered factory ones), the added ability to have the Music Finder call them up from the USB Stick finally solves the 2MB maximum internal user storage limitation of the S900 and Tyros3. The only limitation to the number of styles you can call up from Music Finder now is the storage capacity of the USB stick itself.

I've been asking Yamaha for this feature for a long time so glad they finally came thru. Now if only the Music Finder could store song transpose settings too. S920 perhaps?

Scott

Hey Scott,

How is it going, what are you using now, is it still the T2?

Hope all is well.

#272325 - 09/29/09 04:38 PM Re: First look at PSR-S910
Beakybird Offline

Hey Scott,

It's fantastic to see you post here. Welcome back.

The T2 styles sound fantastic in the S910. I have yet to call up a T2 style that had a voice missing even though I'm sure I'll find one - as the T2 has more S.A. voices and quite a few more Live! voices - even though the S910 has a few voices that the T2 doesn't have.

The T3 is a bit of a stretch. There are some styles that load with all the voices present - about 2/5's of them. On a lot of the swing styles there's a mega jazz guitar that seems to be missing and when I sub the mega solid2 guitar, it's decent. I've been able to rework a few T3 styles that have some voices missing. There's a T3 Dreamy Ballad style that looks like it would sound great in the T3 but neither the original or the conversion sound good.

RE the MFD files: With styles on the USB, you have to start from scratch. If a style on a T2 has a MFD song associated with it, and you save it to USB and load the USB into the S910, the S910 will not find any USB MFD file. You have to create one, and then it will find it from then on.

I think I'll stick with naming my Registrations after a song. I associate Reg 1 with a style + voice + transpose and other stuff and the other Reg buttons I just associate with voices so they're like OTSs.

The T2 styles really sound fantastic and the internal styles sound better than the S900.

The screen is excellent. I'm looking at the screen from afar and almost horizontally, and I can read everything perfectly - with glasses. I could never have read the S900's screen from that angle.

I'm taking measures to protect the keyboard in it's gig bag even better than before - besides the keyboard bag, I I've been putting a keyboard cover over the keyboard and then some foam on top and on the sides. But the corners still got a little scuffed so I'm putting more cushioning on the side of my gig bag (A hardshell case won't fit in my trunk, and they're too heavy).

I am really discovering that the resale value of the keyboard is so much improved by protecting the keyboard from scratches.

Beakybird

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online