SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#271874 - 09/23/09 08:20 PM GW-8L ROM styles here...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
http://www.roland-arranger.com/smf/index.php?topic=1179.0
Please note that they are NOT converted or tweaked for the G/E series (yet! ), this is just the ROM styles as is. And so far (though I'm working on it) I haven't done the extra 110 odd 'World' styles, which make extensive use of the '-L' section of the sound ROM (basically as much again as the basic sound ROM) which has many drumkits with unique (to any Roland product) Latin percussion and drums. I fear they are going to be MUCH harder to translate...

But it is still an extra 130 styles, which E/G series owners shouldn't have TOO much trouble tweaking...

Enjoy...

#271875 - 09/24/09 12:01 AM Re: GW-8L ROM styles here...
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Diki i thought the only difference between the GW-8 models was drum kits, voices and the styles in the WORLD category only??

#271876 - 09/24/09 12:55 AM Re: GW-8L ROM styles here...
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Diki. I get invalid file name when using Winzip to unzip ?.

#271877 - 09/24/09 01:13 AM Re: GW-8L ROM styles here...
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:
Diki i thought the only difference between the GW-8 models was drum kits, voices and the styles in the WORLD category only??

I believe that is correct. So, so far, I have only copied the non-world styles, so I guess it doesn't matter that it is the '-L' variant...

But I am amazed at how different the PC#/32/00 codes are between the GW's and the E/G series. TOTALLY wrong sounds in many many categories. To be honest, without either the Patch List from the GW-8 or a recording, I doubt you could get even close...

I am in the process of recording audio snippets of all the non -L styles, to help with translation and tweaking, but I need to find a site that can host them. Even though they are short 128kbps MP3's, it still took about 64MB just for the 56 Pop/Rock styles..! Only 75 more styles to go

In fairness, there are many issues with the sound mixing of the GW styles. OS2 has only JUST given more detail control over the Parts, and especially, complete control over the style insert MFX (the rock guitars are horrendously loud, and turning the Part down does little - it's pre-distortion - you have to edit the style MFX's main output to get it quieter). But at least it can now be done...

And despite the ROM flaws (which Roland have had little time to correct), I still continue to be amazed at how punchy and tight this cheap arranger can be. The drumkits have a LOT of presence and dynamics. Out of the gate, there are some mix decisions that baffle me (has anyone at Roland actually LISTENED to this thing? ), but they ARE fixable, fairly easily now with OS2, and then it's sweeeeet

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 09-24-2009).]

#271878 - 09/24/09 01:15 AM Re: GW-8L ROM styles here...
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
Diki. I get invalid file name when using Winzip to unzip ?.

Zipped it on a Mac. Not sure if that is the problem. If others have issues, I'll try to correct. Any idea WHAT is the 'invalid file name'?

#271879 - 09/24/09 03:58 AM Re: GW-8L ROM styles here...
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Diki. I think zipping on the MAC is the problem with unzipping on a PC. Possibly winzip works differently on both systems.

#271880 - 09/24/09 05:46 AM Re: GW-8L ROM styles here...
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Graham
Make sure you do not have any download accelerators active before you download the files. (This can sometimes cause problems)

Have tried the files on native Xp,Vista and Windows 7 unzip settings with no problems, have also tried WinZip and WinRAR, with again no problems.
Hope this helps

Bill

#271881 - 09/24/09 08:28 AM Re: GW-8L ROM styles here...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Excellent work, Diki, but I am going to hang fire on these until they're polished into something more like the finished article - I am certain you can do a better job of this than I would!!

[This message has been edited by Seamaster (edited 09-24-2009).]

#271882 - 09/24/09 12:47 PM Re: GW-8L ROM styles here...
Diki Offline

But in all likelihood, I'm only going to tweak the styles I am most interested in... these may not be the ones you like best, though.

To be honest, this seems like a GREAT opportunity to have a go at them yourself. It isn't anywhere NEAR as hard as you think (most of the basic styles' drumkits need no alteration).

And, to sweeten the deal, I am working on recording short audio snippets of all the basic styles, so you have a reference to work towards. This might be the perfect time to knuckle down and give the Makeup Tools some serious attention. Without them, the G/E series is not THAT much better or worse than any other arranger, but their ease of use is off the charts with the Makeup Tools added, IMO.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online