SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#271616 - 09/21/09 05:54 AM Re: My Roland GW-8 Review!
Nick G Online   content

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Congratulations, Nick...it is nice to see you've found a gem.

My only beef with the GW-8 was the lack of style editing, and it was difficult to recommend the instrument because of that omission.

Seems that Roland was quick to fix that issue, and the GW-8 is now a more complete arranger, as well as a great "bang for the buck".

Ian

Ian thanks buddy!

it basically has the exact same style editor that the Yamahas have. (List view)

it does miss some features like being able to swap style parts from other styles on the keyboard though.

#271617 - 09/21/09 05:57 AM Re: My Roland GW-8 Review!
Dnj Offline

Nick.....like I said, I've played a GW8 a few times and enjoyed many of it's attributes..of course I use a laptop most of the time with my KB on stage....but many times for smaller gigs I don't & that is where the lyric reader and the Voc Processor comes in handy if you need it as a singer player. Another thing that turned me off was that the GW8 couldn't adapt and play G70 or other Roland styles.

#271618 - 09/21/09 06:09 AM Re: My Roland GW-8 Review!
Nick G Online   content

Donny the GW-8 plays other Roland styles

#271619 - 09/21/09 06:31 AM Re: My Roland GW-8 Review!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Nick, perhaps they'll allow the swapping of style parts with another OS update...I know I find being able to assemble a style, from the bits of other styles, invaluable for my needs...style assembly is incredibly handy on the Yammies, as your new style parts are already adapted (as in note limit, RTR, NTR, NTT etc.) and ready to go.

I hope they add this feature to the GW-8 soon...thanks for the clarification.

You definitely seem happy with your purchase.

#271620 - 09/21/09 03:47 PM Re: My Roland GW-8 Review!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick G:

i am going to ring Roland Australia tomorrow and find out if i can purchase or download the Latin styles that come with the GW-8L...

The Latin styles in the GW8-L use a LOT of drumkits and sounds that are exclusively in the -L variant. I think it would be pretty hard to adapt them. Each of the World variants basically has as much patch ROM as the basic GW-8 sounds that are in common, so that is a LOT of missing patches...

It's worth a crack at it, as some of the styles may be usable without the extra sounds, but I fear you are not going to get very close.

#271621 - 09/21/09 04:28 PM Re: My Roland GW-8 Review!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Donny the GW-8 plays other Roland styles

G70, Roland library also ?.....without conversions?

#271622 - 09/21/09 06:02 PM Re: My Roland GW-8 Review!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:

The funny thing is one of the acoustic guitar voices actually has the automatic fret slides that u get on the SA Concert Guitar on the Tyros 2. Annoying according to some people but it doesn’t seem to bother me at all.

Nick, is the GW-8E guitar slide triggered by velocity, or does it happen when you play certain intervals whilst holding down the first note, and add more velocity?

The Yamaha SA Concert Guitar (and a few others) use the latter.

#271623 - 09/21/09 06:20 PM Re: My Roland GW-8 Review!
Nick G Online   content

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:

Nick, is the GW-8E guitar slide triggered by velocity, or does it happen when you play certain intervals whilst holding down the first note, and add more velocity?

The Yamaha SA Concert Guitar (and a few others) use the latter.

The Guitar slides are triggered by velocity. probably about 125-127 triggers the slide.

it can happen by just hitting one note. it doesnt do what the SA guitar does in legato mode. (wish it did)

some of the guitar samples also have the random fret slides like the SA concert guitar.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online