SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#271624 - 09/20/09 09:40 PM Saw a duo tonight ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
My wife and I went to dinner tonight at a nice Italian Restaurant in our town (Cucina Misto on Main Street, Steve) ... As we were walking in I heard a piano playing and then a female vocalist ... While saying hi to the others we were having ginner with, I kept listening to the music which sounded really nice ... after we got settled, I looked over and there was the female singer and a guy playing a kb ... what amazed me the most was that he was playing a technics kn5000 !!! ... he played in 'Pianist Mode' (full piano) with only bass and drums ... any other instruments in the style were muted, except for the guitar in bossas ... they played from the Great American Songbook all night ... she had a very nice voice and he played some nice stuff on piano ... along with the kn5000, he had an Alesis mixer for the kb and her mic, going into 2 mackie 350's
A very enjoyable evening ...
and the food was great and the prices reasonable ...

t.

#271625 - 09/21/09 04:48 AM Re: Saw a duo tonight ...
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Hi Tony,
I am surprised at your "amazement", that he was playing a KN5000.
I have just sold my KN5 and upgraded to a KN7.
As The Kn5 was leaving, I had a lot of belated feelings for the capabilities it possessed, and that I had not utilised them to their best potential.
I will not do that with the my new baby.
Any good musician,(not me), can make good music with a quality instrument if he/she utilises the technology within.
Ray

------------------
Ray The Saint

#271626 - 09/21/09 05:39 AM Re: Saw a duo tonight ...
Dnj Offline

Tony sounds like a fun evening.....btw what did you have for dinner?

#271627 - 09/21/09 06:03 AM Re: Saw a duo tonight ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Ray ... I was "amazed" because it is the first time in a loooong time that I've seen a technics arranger on a gig - OTHER that MINE of course - kn6000 - ...

Donny ... Chicken rollatini stuffed with prosciutto and broccoli rabe ... yummmmm

no wonder I can't lose weight ...
t.

#271628 - 09/21/09 06:16 AM Re: Saw a duo tonight ...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
My wife and I went to dinner tonight at a nice Italian Restaurant in our town (Cucina Misto on Main Street, Steve) ... As we were walking in I heard a piano playing and then a female vocalist ... While saying hi to the others we were having ginner with, I kept listening to the music which sounded really nice ... after we got settled, I looked over and there was the female singer and a guy playing a kb ... what amazed me the most was that he was playing a technics kn5000 !!! ... he played in 'Pianist Mode' (full piano) with only bass and drums ... any other instruments in the style were muted, except for the guitar in bossas ... they played from the Great American Songbook all night ... she had a very nice voice and he played some nice stuff on piano ... along with the kn5000, he had an Alesis mixer for the kb and her mic, going into 2 mackie 350's
A very enjoyable evening ...
and the food was great and the prices reasonable ...

t.

Tony who was the duo? I'll have to check out that restaurant too. Get ready to line up a list of restaurants for the upcoming trip in January for the 2 Italians who are going to visit : D

#271630 - 09/21/09 06:43 AM Re: Saw a duo tonight ...
Dnj Offline

I loved my KN5000 made a bundle with it, great sound......then traded it to Uncle Dave for a Ketron X1 many moons ago......It's a real shame technics is no longer......Imagine what they would have on the market now in an arranger?

#271631 - 09/21/09 06:55 AM Re: Saw a duo tonight ...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think I sold mine to DNJ, in fact that's how I "met" him. Then I told him about Uncle Dave living near him, and the the rest is part of history.
It was a great kb.
DonM

#271632 - 09/21/09 10:22 AM Re: Saw a duo tonight ...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I think I sold mine to DNJ, in fact that's how I "met" him. Then I told him about Uncle Dave living near him, and the the rest is part of history.
It was a great kb.
DonM

Don yes that is how we met...it was over 10 years ago...all things happen for a reason & I'm so glad it happened to me to meet such fine friends from it. Before that I was a Korg man for many years having peformed for years on stage with many Korg Synths & Arranger models.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-21-2009).]

#271633 - 09/21/09 04:01 PM Re: Saw a duo tonight ...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Is the adoration for Technics more a product of its' sounds and OS, or is it more for the styles? It seems to me that an awful lot of the main protagonists for these older arrangers are really into big band, ballroom and Italian styles, in general...

Is anyone using much Technics style conversions on other arrangers, and can give a perspective on how well the styles translate? I don't think Technics had Mega voice technology or anything else like that, so translations OUGHT to be fairly straightforward...

#271634 - 09/21/09 04:23 PM Re: Saw a duo tonight ...
Dnj Offline

I have all the Technics styles and believe me many just don't convert well....without mucho editing and even then you could not be successful to your satisfaction.They were a special breed and sounded best played within the "Mother Ship" IMO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online