SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#270546 - 09/03/09 03:37 PM Roland E80 question - Dikki? anyone?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Is there any reason that the E80 wouldn't be better than G70 OTHER than the number of keys?
Thanks,
DonM

#270547 - 09/03/09 03:52 PM Re: Roland E80 question - Dikki? anyone?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Very few. ..

G70 is lighter (go figure!)
G70 has separate outputs for the harmonizer section
G70 has a pair of Aux outputs, to route any Part (except the B3 sim, dammit!) off to it's own output. This might not seem like a big deal, but you can route the G70 Aux outs back in to the RCA inputs, which have their own IFX full effects section, and gain another independent insert effect on any Part you want - an opportunity lost on the E80)...
G70 has more legacy patches from Sound Canvas days (but fewer new patches)

That's about all I can think of..

#270548 - 09/03/09 04:00 PM Re: Roland E80 question - Dikki? anyone?
DonM Offline

Thanks, I didn't remember about the extra outputs, but that's not a big deal for me.
I'm formulating a backup plan if the Audya doesn't pan out.
Still waiting for a replacement from the "new" batch.
The weight isn't quite as important right now, as I will not be moving my gear until after NY Eve unless I have an extra job. I would use the E50 for stuff like that anyway.
I really like some of the Roland sounds, and I'm happy with the bass and drums. Still miss the break-fills, but I could make my own if I wasn't so lazy.
DonM

#270549 - 09/03/09 04:27 PM Re: Roland E80 question - Dikki? anyone?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
They are pretty easy to do, Don. Copy a fill to an Intro, erase out the first couple of beats or so, maybe erase out most of the Parts other than Bass & Drums, done! Want to get fancier (or have more variety)? Copy the fills from a different, but related style...

You DO have to trigger them early (they are intros, after all!), but you gain multiple B/F's, so a busy Var can have a busy one, a simple Var a simple one, etc.. Me, I'm not much into precanned intros, so I can have up to four B/F's per style. Usually I'll keep Intro1 (the countoff, which in itself makes a nice simple B/F) and make them for Intros 2-4.

Another plus is that, if you dedicate a footswitch to Intro, you can use that as your B/F switch, and it will always play the appropriate B/F for the Var you are in... hands free!

To be honest, other than you can't be late triggering them, I prefer this system to other one B/F systems.

#270550 - 09/03/09 09:43 PM Re: Roland E80 question - Dikki? anyone?
DonM Offline

Thanks, I'll try to find time to experiment a little.
DonM

#270551 - 09/04/09 06:48 AM Re: Roland E80 question - Dikki? anyone?
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Very few. ..

G70 is lighter (go figure!)
G70 has separate outputs for the harmonizer section
G70 has a pair of Aux outputs, to route any Part (except the B3 sim, dammit!) off to it's own output. This might not seem like a big deal, but you can route the G70 Aux outs back in to the RCA inputs, which have their own IFX full effects section, and gain another independent insert effect on any Part you want - an opportunity lost on the E80)...
G70 has more legacy patches from Sound Canvas days (but fewer new patches)

That's about all I can think of..

And what parts of E80 are better then G70 ?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#270552 - 09/04/09 06:53 AM Re: Roland E80 question - Dikki? anyone?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Thanks, I'll try to find time to experiment a little.
DonM

If your back hurts now .....wait till you try to lug around & carry the E80 its a shame its really a nice full featured arranger.......but it was truly made for home use by design..

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-04-2009).]

#270553 - 09/04/09 08:55 AM Re: Roland E80 question - Dikki? anyone?
DonM Offline

Donny, I'm hoping it won't come to that. I should have the replacement Audya in another week or so. The next ship load is on the way. These are supposed to have updated sound board that allows for sound expansion chips to be more easily added.
They will also have the latest OS, Sounds and Styles already loaded.
However, in the unlikely case the Audya doesn't work out, I want to have another plan in place. In any case I wouldn't do anything until after I received the new Audya and after Roland announces any new models it may release.
As I said, I will continue to use the E50 for moving around. The "big" board will pretty much remain in place at Ernest's at least until 2010.
DonM

#270554 - 09/04/09 09:30 AM Re: Roland E80 question - Dikki? anyone?
Dnj Offline

Wise move Don....you know the game. Good luck with the new Audya hope it works out for ya....but I know you, if it don't cut the mustard out it goes & rightly so. say hello to hank also.

ciao

#270555 - 09/04/09 09:30 AM Re: Roland E80 question - Dikki? anyone?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Don, I'm just curious about the movie 'Soul Men 2008' shot in Shreveport. Do you know if they used any locals? ...with a speaking part?.....any local musicians? Is Shreveport used frequently as a 'backdrop' site for a movie shoot? Is it considered a boost to the local economy or would the 'locals' just as soon they shot someplace else? Just curious. I was in Dorothy Parker's 'The Big Blonde' (obviously not in the lead role ) with Sally Kellerman and John Lithgow. I was the piano player in the trio backing up Sally in the nightclub scene. About seven days of shooting (mostly sitting around waiting) for about 30 seconds of on-screen time. The cutting room floor is not kind. This was @ 1980. Still available on video if anyone is interested in how handsome I am/was .

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online