SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#270530 - 09/03/09 02:59 PM Techno on Roland GW-8
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Very good performance on GW 8. Well that is what I think. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCXV6Zy-bS0

#270531 - 09/03/09 09:48 PM Re: Techno on Roland GW-8
Bachus Offline

Very nice performance, great style... great sound

http://keyszone.boards.net

#270532 - 09/04/09 02:04 AM Re: Techno on Roland GW-8
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Typical arranger performance though... Play the lead loud enough to basically drown out the drums.

Sometimes it makes me wonder why any of us actually WANT live sounding drums, if we stick the lead over them to the point where you can't even TELL what they sound like... Listen to any pop music (and especially dance music), and see if the drums are EVER obscured by anything else.

#270533 - 09/04/09 02:49 AM Re: Techno on Roland GW-8
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Typical arranger performance though... Play the lead loud enough to basically drown out the drums.

Sometimes it makes me wonder why any of us actually WANT live sounding drums, if we stick the lead over them to the point where you can't even TELL what they sound like... Listen to any pop music (and especially dance music), and see if the drums are EVER obscured by anything else.

Agree. Even if the intention was to showcase the lead sound, the drums should have been louder in the mix to give a more over all techno feel.
And, IMO would have helped in showcasing the lead sound. Sometimes, it takes other instruments and a proper mix to give the true feeling of a sound.

#270534 - 09/04/09 04:27 AM Re: Techno on Roland GW-8
Bachus Offline

Why bash the guys atyle, its his interpretation and if he wants to keep the volume of the drums down to bring his own lead more to the attention then i can live with his arrangement.

Its a great performance on a $700 keyboard.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#270535 - 09/04/09 07:48 AM Re: Techno on Roland GW-8
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
What a great little keyboard is this Roland. I had one sold it because of the lack of editing styles but with the new tools I will buy him again but this time the European version. Worth every penny this keyboard.

#270536 - 09/05/09 05:28 AM Re: Techno on Roland GW-8
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Well fair play to the guy. That sounded pretty great even with the lead being so loud. I'm listening to it through my Studio Monitors.

The D-Beam function looks bloody stupid though. Give me a KORG Ribbon Controller any day over that. It's bad enough that the general public don't really believe we play keyboards and to have one hand floating a foot above the keyboard in the air is quite silly.

Regards
James

#270537 - 09/05/09 10:22 AM Re: Techno on Roland GW-8
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
They've been using these types of controllers on electronica for years (AirFX, for instance, not to mention the theramin ). Nobody worries about that. Main thing is the connection between visual gestures and something you can actually hear.

I'm a fan of what Bjørk's electronica guys do...

The general public doesn't believe we are playing the keyboards if we go out front and put on our chicken hats and have the sequencer play the song If we stay behind the keys and play with one hand and use the other for the D-Beam, no problem! At least they can see us doing SOMETHING...

#270538 - 09/05/09 11:52 AM Re: Techno on Roland GW-8
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
Nice performance, also a nice Trance choice, DJ Tiesto-Sparkles.

#270539 - 09/05/09 11:55 AM Re: Techno on Roland GW-8
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

Oh come on Diki, you can't be serious. Nobody in the techno/house scene wants live drums. You're not even hearing a natural kit in this demo, let alone a "live" kit.

I think it's a good demo that shows the GW-8 is closing the gap between arrangers and synths even in the lower-priced keyboardranges.

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM
http://www.keyboardforum.nl
Happy owner of a Roland E-80 V2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online