SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#2702 - 03/13/03 11:03 AM Help out a newbie please......
Tonemonster Offline

Loc: USA
Hello people!! I am a newbie here and I need some help. I am a guitarist of 15 years and have been thinking very much about gettin ginto playing some keyboards. I love 70's and 80's rock and thats what I want to play. THings like Foreigner, Toto, Journey, Asia, Styx, REO, Van halen, that type of music. Anyway, what I want is some recommendations of a good keyboard that I can start out with. Being as its new to me I really dont want to spend a whole buch of money, but I reallize I cant expect to pay peanuts and get a great unit too. What I want is a keyboard or synth that I can get those great 70's 80's sounds with and thats it!!! I dont need no goofy sound effects or horns, drums, guitars, or any of that stuff, I just want those classic synth sounds of the bands I have mentioned. Can anyone recommend what type, brand, model, of keyboard to buy and waht to expect to pay and where I should buy it?? Or any other good websites whrere I can get more help?? Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks alot!!!

Please help the tonemonster, Thanks!!!!

Tonemonster

#2703 - 03/13/03 02:27 PM Re: Help out a newbie please......
Catsailor Offline

Hi Tonemonster!

Welcome to the Synthzone. Usually when someone asks the questions that you ask, the best answer is to check out the music stores in your area. See what they have, how they sound, and the prices. Then make your selection based on which one fits your requirements. Everyone has their own particular preferences and very seldom will they agree with anyone elses.

Peter

#2704 - 03/13/03 03:39 PM Re: Help out a newbie please......
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by Tonemonster:
Hello people!! I am a newbie here and I need some help. I am a guitarist of 15 years and have been thinking very much about gettin ginto playing some keyboards. I love 70's and 80's rock and thats what I want to play. THings like Foreigner, Toto, Journey, Asia, Styx, REO, Van halen, that type of music. Anyway, what I want is some recommendations of a good keyboard that I can start out with. Being as its new to me I really dont want to spend a whole buch of money, but I reallize I cant expect to pay peanuts and get a great unit too. What I want is a keyboard or synth that I can get those great 70's 80's sounds with and thats it!!! I dont need no goofy sound effects or horns, drums, guitars, or any of that stuff, I just want those classic synth sounds of the bands I have mentioned. Can anyone recommend what type, brand, model, of keyboard to buy and waht to expect to pay and where I should buy it?? Or any other good websites whrere I can get more help?? Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks alot!!!

Please help the tonemonster, Thanks!!!!

Tonemonster

I would recommend a Roland Xp30 new or used .

Many sounds (1,200) and the ability to add expansion cards if neccessary .

Same with a used Roland Xp60 or 80 .

The other keyboard fo that era was the Korg M1 .
Dano

------------------
Piano Man's Keyboard City
624 Frederick Rd .
Catonsville Md. 21228
410 747 0200
danosmusic@yahoo.com or keyboardcity@yahoo.com

#2705 - 03/17/03 12:09 PM Re: Help out a newbie please......
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Tonemonster: I've been playing guitar for over 37 years now (boy..are my fingers tired)
On the serious side. I got my first synth 10 years ago. There are a lot of good makes & models out there, from Korg, to Roland, to Yamaha etc. For me, and this is just my opinion, Korg has been the friendliest I've found yet.
Good Luck in your search.

#2706 - 03/17/03 02:22 PM Re: Help out a newbie please......
Tonemonster Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks to everyone who replied!! I appreciate the help and advice. I also welcome any other ideas!! Thanks again people!!!

#2707 - 03/17/03 03:09 PM Re: Help out a newbie please......
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
I agree with DAN01 . A Roland XP-30 or XP-60 would do the job . They have expansion slots for sound cards that have exactly what you want . You may be able to find one with the cards already in it for a good used price . The make cards that have the sounds of keyboards from the 60s , 70s , and 80s .

#2708 - 03/19/03 01:21 AM Re: Help out a newbie please......
Anonymous
Unregistered

ditto and ditto. earlier xp boards mentioned have lots of sounds, they go MIDI, and you will smile at the price. BUT that is to not exclude the FM sythesis group which might be a little different, but if you got one with enough presets, you would be successful in editing to get the sounds you want too. A D50 these days is CHEAP! I still have one that I use once in a while. "those great 70's 80's sounds" there's quite a stretch of 80's having FM Sythesis keyboards.
PS Welcome, and thank you for not just asking "What's the best keyboard?". You see, we get that a lot, and -tek, a key member sometimes gets upset and unloads on the poor guy LOL.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online