SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#269521 - 08/18/09 04:02 AM Yamaha Jazz Piano Swing
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
It's amazing what a few hundred dollars will buy. This is a Yamaha YPG-625, but this is the same sound used even on their 76 note version. Of course this guy's playing is excellent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5wjKbQ8G0c&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Fvideosearch%3Fsourceid%3Dnavclient%26rlz%3D1T4SKPB%5FenUS252US252%26q%3Dsoundies%26um%3D1%26ie%3 DUTF%2D8%26sa%3DN%26hl%3Den%26tab%3Dwv&feature=player_embedded

#269522 - 08/18/09 04:03 AM Re: Yamaha Jazz Piano Swing
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I see the link became broken. You'll have to copy and paste.

Oops, I see the link works as is.

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 08-18-2009).]

#269523 - 08/18/09 05:23 AM Re: Yamaha Jazz Piano Swing
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hey Scott,
Thanks for the link. Could listen to this guy all day long. The style is really nice - simple and supporting without having all the business we find in a lot of the styles.

good stuff,
Hammer

#269524 - 08/18/09 10:22 AM Re: Yamaha Jazz Piano Swing
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
COOL ... but WAY too short ...

Man, I wish I had taken piano lessons !!! ...
t.

#269525 - 08/18/09 12:00 PM Re: Yamaha Jazz Piano Swing
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Great playing... He states he made a sequence first (B&D), then played the piano part over that.

I honestly think that making ourselves constantly input the chords with the LH, and restrict ourselves
to a RH solo only (or comp in a less than sparse way, because of the necessity to have the chord
recognition be clear about our intentions) get in the way of good jazz playing. Comping isn't playing the
damn changes on the 'one' all the time. But you had BETTER do that if you want the accompaniment to
follow the changes well.

This two stage approach is FAR more musical, IMO. Create the backing first with the arranger, strip it
down to as little as you can get away with, then play your solo knowing that you can ghost for a while and
things won't fall apart...

You lose a little flexibility in changing the chords willy nilly on the fly (but nothing stops you from doing that
while you prepare the sequence), but gain back the ability to take it outside or ultra minimal without
freaking out the chord recognition. And, don't forget, with a Mark.Jump enabled arranger, you can still
prepare up different sections or different alternate chord sections, and switch to them on the fly. I
honestly think that his system of sequence first, solo later allows the more realistic live playing...

#269526 - 08/18/09 05:59 PM Re: Yamaha Jazz Piano Swing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great playing. The YPG-625 sounds very good.

Diki, I agree fully with what you said about left hand chord input being so limiting. This is why I use bass pedals. I can accomplish what that fellow did live, on the spot just by calling up an appropriate drum beat and kicking pedals. Granted it is pretty tough to cover some of the more intricate bass runs and intervals with a small set of bass pedals, it would be much easier with a full 25 note set like are on my B3 being able to heel/toe. But still, when I do a solo gig, it is great to be able to have complete control over where the song is going and not have to follow a sequence.

And another thing, isn't it refreshing to hear just piano, bass and drums? Think how cluttered that could have been if there were horn stabs and little vibes or flute lines playing in the background. There is a place for full arranger accompaniment, but it is sure nice to fall back to basics now and again.

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band
The Modulators

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online