SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#268936 - 08/08/09 05:09 PM OT: MIDI keyboard
Christian_1 Offline

Hi all,
Any good recommendations on 61 keys MIDI keyboard/controller for a good price and eventually where one can find these online?
Many thanks for any info!

#268937 - 08/08/09 05:29 PM Re: OT: MIDI keyboard
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Probably need a LITTLE more information for a good recommendation, Christian...

What do you intend to do with the keyboard? Are you going to drive some modules, or VSTi's? Do you want to control another keyboard you already have? Do you want the keyboard to be able to control other modules AND operate as an arranger too? Do you want the controller to have it's own sounds? What kind of music are you likely to want to play?

Oh, and how much do you consider a 'good' price?

#268938 - 08/08/09 05:35 PM Re: OT: MIDI keyboard
Christian_1 Offline

Hi Diki,
Well, first it is going to control softsynths like VSTS so no arranger with sounds are important as of now.
And if the keys are semiweighted that's ok.
I am thinking about getting an arranger like the Audya or T3, but not sure as I will start with this.
What prices may I expect for my criterias so far?
When it comes to music it will be various.

#268939 - 08/08/09 05:59 PM Re: OT: MIDI keyboard
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/midi

All kinds of goodies at all kinds of prices. For controlling VSTi's, I would recommend visiting the forums of the VSTi's that you have, and finding out which ones tend to work best with your particular VSTi's. There are all kinds of 'gotchas', and sometimes all kinds of plus features, but they vary by VSTi and controller. So, do some research, and you'll likely avoid a bunch of frustration.

#268940 - 08/09/09 01:38 AM Re: OT: MIDI keyboard
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Christian_1
This Axiom 61 http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Axiom61.html is a very good entry level model, as most of the controls can be programmed to do whatever you want. It also comes with Ableton Lite software which will allow you to get started producing music straight away. (Including controlling VSTi)
As with most things you get what you pay for, but if you’re not sure, it’s a good starter.
You can do a search for your local distributor from the site, or use Google Product Search to find the best deal.
Hope this helps

Bill

#268941 - 08/09/09 09:16 AM Re: OT: MIDI keyboard
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Christian_1
I tried many of the MIDI boards and found this one (I had the model before it) was superb. Yes, It's more $$, but the keybed is very high quality and the programming is VERY comprehensive.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SLmk2-61d2/

Lee S.

[This message has been edited by leeboy (edited 08-09-2009).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online