SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#268864 - 08/07/09 10:44 AM My new E80 project
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I have always liked to play left hand bass, piano, and a "color" sound (organ, brass, guitar, scat etc} with a EV5 pedal..and drums.

The Roland arrangers have always been easy to use this way..Now with the E80..I can set up text (lyrics) to songs that I will play as above....A pedal will change pages..

This is my proposed project: setting up a text library of maybe 50 tunes...link them to named user programs, with the "auto" stuff off..just drums..sure the "auto" stuff will still be there if I want it..

My thoughts are to fill in some dates at "local" restaurants..light background or at least low keyed..performing..

The E80 on board sound system should be enough..but I have the Podiums 802's too ..if I need them..

The E80 MP3 option will be great for breaks..

This method of playing will always be best if you have a guest "singer"..( "SHE" has to look good)...If they are lost , I can cover up for them...Novice and sequences ..sometimes creates problems...more than it is worth "watching " them..

I love the flexibility the E80 gives me..in just about any venue....

It shouldn't take long to set up the E80..text and user programs..50 or so..Maybe I will get to it next week...

So what do you folks think? Anyone agree with me , about the enjoyment of turning off the "auto"..and sequencer...once in a while..

#268865 - 08/07/09 11:20 AM Re: My new E80 project
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Going to be a tough project if you sell your E80, isn't it?

I'm ALL about turning off the machines... If you can do a song well without them, then what's the POINT of using them?

For a cool 'trio' type sound, try using the upright bass with the ride cymbal layered sound... if the bass part is pretty rhythmic, it works nicely (and the balance can be adjusted with the C1 parameter).

#268866 - 08/07/09 11:52 AM Re: My new E80 project
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I do use the bass/ride combination...for years now...

And the E80 is not for sale...

#268867 - 08/07/09 12:38 PM Re: My new E80 project
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I changed my mind...

I simply lost mine...

#268868 - 08/07/09 04:17 PM Re: My new E80 project
124 Offline

I Almost Lost My Mind. Now there's a great song that would work so well with the minmalist treatment.

#268869 - 08/07/09 06:06 PM Re: My new E80 project
Diki Offline

Here's my latest version of it... . . . . . . . . . . .

Pretty minimalist, even by John Cage standards (at least you have to SIT at a piano to 'play' his piece!)

BTW, this composition Copyright Diki Ross, All Rights Reserved

#268870 - 08/07/09 06:34 PM Re: My new E80 project
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
So what do you folks think? Anyone agree with me , about the enjoyment of turning off the "auto"..and sequencer...once in a while..

Now that is something I DO agree with you about. I have been doing that for ages. In fact all my standard gigs are exactly that. A mix of style songs with minimal backing, piano trio style songs, playing songs with just the drum tracks and the odd backing track either MP3 or MIDI (NON-GM)

It is so much more fun when I am doing most of the playing myself though!! And throwing those sorts of tunes in during a show also gets you some props from the crowd as well, who then figure you CAN play and they accept the playing with backing tracks much more readily.

Dennis

#268871 - 08/09/09 11:14 AM Re: My new E80 project
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I'm ALL about turning off the machines... If you can do a song well without them, then what's the POINT of using them?

Much as I enjoy arranger play, there's nothing so satisfying as sitting down at the console of a big old analogue or tonewheel organ, and stick-shifting through a number.

#268872 - 08/09/09 12:02 PM Re: My new E80 project
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
I changed my mind...

Quote:

Originally posted by Diki:
I simply lost mine...

It's postings like this that make the visit worth while

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM http://www.keyboardforum.nl
Happy owner of a Roland E-80 V2

[This message has been edited by Burkels (edited 08-09-2009).]

#268873 - 08/11/09 05:04 AM Re: My new E80 project
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Fran,

Glad you are happy with your E80. I do the exact same thing on my PA588. I can have lyrics displayed (via .txt file) on the screen when playing with a style, song, or just when playing straight piano. Where you and I differ is I can't stand playing bass with my left hand because it kills the ability to comp, as does triggering chords during arranger play. So my choice is to use bass pedals. this way I can play piano - piano & bass(from left foot) - or piano, bass & drums. And if I do want to bring in the whole band, one button [ACC] brings in full accompaniment.

It's great to have the kind of versatility that these models offer.

Dave

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band
The Modulators

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online