SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#268807 - 08/05/09 06:18 PM Re: What are your silliest and most important/personal tunes?
124 Offline

Silly song: I Am a Cider Drinker by The Wurzels. A daft ditty about cider-swigging yokels in rural England.

I once heard a version of Are You Lonesome Tonight that went:
Are you lonesome tonight
Is your brassiere too tight
Are they falling and drifting apart
Is there a hole in your vest
Showing half of your chest . . . and so on

My 'special' song is that lovely standard, My One and Only Love. I think the first version I ever heard was Freddie Hubbard's, and I loved that tune ever since. Beautiful changes in it, too.

#268808 - 08/06/09 11:10 AM Re: What are your silliest and most important/personal tunes?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Eddie-Christmas Song is one of my all-time favorites. Sometimes, in a quiet dining room setting, I play it in July, just to do those great changes. Diki, heard Ella do Valentine live in 1962 and went right home and learned it, with Ray Brown's help. Now, I'll play it several times a year as a silent dedication to "you guys". And, if the alternative was digging ditches in the Florida sun, I'd "out Buffet" you in a heartbeat. Mac, hadn't thought about it for years, but My Ding-a-ling was one I did and had lots of fun with, believe it or not (Gotta love the "duckwalk dude"). And, I've been playing Nature Boy since 1961. My first exposure was a top 40 AM pop record recorded about then...the guy who did Splish Splash...Bobby Darin. Previously, the version I liked was an obscure George Benson recording. Like the one you referenced a lot better. Don, I now do a country parody called "Bald Heads Shining In the Rain". I like to do it, but it's a little too close to home when it comes to the hair department.

And, Chas, as always, when it comes to music and individual tastes, "we're joined at the hip".

Russ (closet Stooooopid song freak) Lay

BALD HEADS SHINING IN THE RAIN
(Funk Version)
(Written for a regular namend Bob)

In The Twilight Glow I see it
Bob's bald head shining in the rain
(Bob stands, removes his hat and bows)
He'll never need another haircut
And he'll never use Brylcream again

Someday, when we meet up yonder
We'll take off those ballcaps and then
We'll look like twin Uell Brenners
(Russ and Bob take off caps and bow)
Twin bald heads shining in the rain
And we'll never go to the barbershop again.

(Chas, PLEASE don't shoot me on my next trip to Atlanta. At least I do it with a "Miles" arrangement and feel(LOL))!

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 08-06-2009).]

#268809 - 08/06/09 12:48 PM Re: What are your silliest and most important/personal tunes?

Mac, thanks so much for the Kurt reference. I recognized the name, but wasn't that familiar with his material. Just checked him out for about 1/2 hour. Particularly liked a tune I found with Al Jureau (Take Five). Al is one of my all-time favorites. Although it wasn't a contest-Kurt more than held his own.

I then Googled Nature Boy by Bobby Darin (my first exposure to it)-then by George Benson (previously, my favorite version)and then Kurts version. His is now my favorite (loved the scat). There's an object lesson here. The Darin version was obviously bubble gum pop. Nat Coles version is the classic. George added the funk in this version and Kurts version is the one that now blows me away.

Shows how very important putting your own "brand" on a tune is.

Thanks for calling this "monster" to my attention. Don't think Kurt needs to audition for any tribute bands anytime soon(LOL).

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 08-06-2009).]

#268810 - 08/06/09 03:04 PM Re: What are your silliest and most important/personal tunes?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Re: Kurt Elling's Nature Boy and the Sydney Symphony Orchestra backing --- I am out of breath. Bobby Watkin's drum solo blew me away. I'm not a Jazz Player per se...but I sure do appreciate many flavors within the Jazz Genre.

Thanks to Mac and Russ which motivated me to watch the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXprs8-U5nA

Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 08-06-2009).]

#268811 - 08/06/09 03:34 PM Re: What are your silliest and most important/personal tunes?
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Yes that performance with the Sydney Symphony (Sidney, Australia, not Cincinnati, Ohio) is a good strong performance where Kurt and the band translate it to Pop Orchestral style.

The original recording, without symphony and featuring the jazz combo and Kurt, is an even better listen.

Kurt Elling is a jazz singer's jazz singer, seriously studying all those who came before him and standing squarely on their shoulders, any Kurt Elling disk is a treat.

We need more singers capable of paying tribute like that, bringing the Lambert, Hendrix and Ross as well as the many famous male jazz singers' contributions out to the forefront like he does.

Kurt's strong performances manage to touch just about everybody, jazz aficionados or not.

The Yellowjackets

--Mac
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#268812 - 08/07/09 12:12 PM Re: What are your silliest and most important/personal tunes?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Screwed up. My personal favorite (today) would be Shirley Horn's 'Here's to life'. If you have not heard this tune, do yourself a favor and give it a listen (several dozen listens, actually).

chas

PS: I didn't actually 'know' Shirley but did have the opportunity to meet her several times (although I think of myself as a 'philly guy', I actually grew up in Washington, DC).

#268813 - 08/07/09 01:30 PM Re: What are your silliest and most important/personal tunes?

Chas-listened to the Horn recording twice...obviously a great voice and great inflection. The rest is sort of growing on me. Going to listen to more of her material this week-end.

Man, you do have ecclectic tastes.

R.

#268814 - 08/08/09 07:20 AM Re: What are your silliest and most important/personal tunes?
--Mac Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Shirley be good listenin' too, yessir.
"Keep listening. Never become so self-important that you can't listen to other players. Live cleanly....Do right....You can improve as a player by improving as a person. It's a duty we owe to ourselves." --John Coltrane

"You don't know what you like, you like what you know. In order to know what you like, you have to know everything." --Branford Marsalis

#268815 - 08/08/09 07:32 AM Re: What are your silliest and most important/personal tunes?
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
This one are FUNNY, at leat I think so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j41iifdv1IY&feature=related

GJ

[This message has been edited by Gunnar Jonny (edited 08-08-2009).]
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online