SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#268355 - 07/30/09 06:07 PM Do your customers really notice equipment upgrades?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Due to a change in my day job work schedule I now have a day during the week where I can pick up some mid week/non weekend gigs. Today I played a senior facility that I have not played for a couple of years because they only have Monday thru Friday afternoon entertainment, never wanted to use too much vacation/sick time from the day job to play an hour gig.

Prior to this I played at the facility once per month first using a PSR 3000, then a Tyros2.

The same AD still works at the facility and the first thing she noticed my Korg PA2xPro, then my Bose compact and commented Whoa, you're really stepping up with some "pro looking equipment." I was surprised at the comment since Tyros2 and the Barbetta 31c don't exactly look like toys. Seems to me an AD noticing equipment is more an exception than the rule.

Do your customers/clients notice when you upgrade/downgrade equipment?

#268356 - 07/30/09 07:21 PM Re: Do your customers really notice equipment upgrades?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Yep!

First it was my PA1-X Pro (upgraded from my Roland VA-7) the difference between the two was night and day as far as I was concerned, and the comments I got on the first few gigs with it (from regulars) proved that.

(Naturally, the comments I got about our Bose L1 Model 2 system were just out of control...!)

I've been told more than once that audiences don't "notice things" about an act (equipment, playing, Singing) that's a load of crap.

Ya know, now that I think about it, we played a gig just last night where we had to use the Venue's system (A couple of big Mackie Top bins and two Bass bins) because of sound restrictions (loooong story - don't ask!)
anyhoo -

the people who had seen us there before told me how much of a downgrade our sound was from our "funny lookin' Bose Pole". Somebody even told me when I talked they couldn't hardly understand a word I was saying!
This was a venue we had only played for the THIRD TIME!

I never never NEVER underestimate our audiences.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#268357 - 07/31/09 12:09 AM Re: Do your customers really notice equipment upgrades?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Strange, though... When people get a less than stellar sound out of their Bose, someone alway steps up and says 'you set it up wrong'. But get a less than stellar sound out of any other PA system (that many bands DO get a great sound out of ) and it MUST be the system that's at fault!

Anybody else find that curious?

#268358 - 07/31/09 01:06 AM Re: Do your customers really notice equipment upgrades?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Strange, though... When people get a less than stellar sound out of their Bose, someone alway steps up and says 'you set it up wrong'. But get a less than stellar sound out of any other PA system (that many bands DO get a great sound out of ) and it MUST be the system that's at fault!

Anybody else find that curious?

No not so curious. It simply seems easier to get a good balanced sound out of a Bose system. Dunno why but it seems to be the case. Sure a good dedicated sound man may be able to set both up for a good sound .... but who can afford to pay a dedicated sound man to monitor the gig. The Bose does seem easier to setup and forget.

#268359 - 07/31/09 06:23 AM Re: Do your customers really notice equipment upgrades?
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
Steve could it be the 76 keys?? A 76KB will "Look" more impressive for sure. The PSR series KB's do look "Cheesey" Not to take anything away from the PA2X. As far as the Bose, I would agree with Nigel!! The Bose is the perfect speaker for most venues a OMB would play ... Plug and Play.

#268360 - 07/31/09 06:28 AM Re: Do your customers really notice equipment upgrades?
Dnj Offline

Looks, Shmooks......what they WILL notice is what you sound like period!

#268361 - 07/31/09 06:31 AM Re: Do your customers really notice equipment upgrades?
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
My audiences absolutely have noticed when I changed equipment. When I showed up with my Tyros 3 the comments were numerous. And later when I added the Bose system the same thing happened.

Often even while setting up at new places the AD will comment about the equipment I have. And almost every gig I play there will be folks asking a lot questions about the keyboard or speakers while I am loading up to leave.

So yes, in my experience, the audience does notice the difference.

Hammer

#268362 - 07/31/09 06:49 AM Re: Do your customers really notice equipment upgrades?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
My regular listeners really noticed the Yamaha PSR-S900, mainly because the SA sounds are so much better then the sounds on the PSR-3000.

They are amazed that so much music can come out of such a neat and compact instrument.

When I switched to using two Bose L1's in stereo, I got a lot of wonderful comments, most of which centered around how full it sounded and also how it didn't sound too loud.

Ian

#268364 - 07/31/09 08:27 AM Re: Do your customers really notice equipment upgrades?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
My Sunday night gig has something to look forward too....what keyboard will I be using?

Over the last several weeks this was my line up...One time and out (Change keyboards)..

EMU Xboard61 (with laptop)..week 1.

G70...week 2.

MediaStation,,,week 3..

E-50..week 4..

Juno Stage..week 5..

And this Sunday will be the E-80...)

This must be record ....

#268365 - 07/31/09 09:00 AM Re: Do your customers really notice equipment upgrades?
Beakybird Offline

I also received comments when I switched to the S900 from the 3000.

While I didn't receive compliments when I upgraded from JBL Eon10 G2s to FBT Maxx 2As, I never more get any complaints that I am playing too loud.

It sounds like the Bose are really in another league - especially in stereo!

The biggest compliments I ever got was when I upgraded from the Suzuki Q Chord http://www.qchord.net/ to an arranger!

Beakybird

Beakybird

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online