SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#2686 - 08/26/02 07:06 AM midi driver
Catsailor Offline

I have a laptop running Windows XP. I do not have a joystick port on the laptop. I have my keyboard (Technics KN6500) attached through a midi cable to a midi-to-usb adapter unit that is recognized by Windows as a joystick controller. The problem I have is that when I try to run the software for checking out the cable, it is unable to find any midi driver. Does any one know how to handle this problem?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Peter

#2687 - 08/26/02 10:00 AM Re: midi driver
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
Driver problems are one of the MANY problems with Windows XP . Did you're USB midi interface come with a driver ? Did it say it was compatible with XP ? Most of my friends with PCs still stick to 98se .

#2688 - 08/26/02 12:15 PM Re: midi driver
Catsailor Offline

Thanks for your response. No, I don't have any driver with the USB adapter. Windows help states the DirectX software portion, which is a part of XP, is suppose to handle Midi instruments, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to work. From what I can tell, it should sense the midi keyboard and install itself. I plan on trying to connect the keyboard to the serial port and see if this helps.

Peter

#2689 - 08/28/02 01:02 PM Re: midi driver
WS Offline

you need an XP driver. You might be able to use an NT or 2000 driver. I've gotten everything to work in XP with NT drivers by changing it to a STANDARD PC from ACPI.

If it is a software problem, you might not have the PORTS setup. I don't know the software you are using so just do a Midi Port help search.

[This message has been edited by WS (edited 08-28-2002).]

#2690 - 08/29/02 12:13 PM Re: midi driver
Catsailor Offline

Thanks.

My son found a web site that sells a Keyboard to USB cable that comes with software drivers for the XP. I ordered one and will give it a try. I don't think the XP software that came with the laptop will set up the USB port for midi. I looked through all of the software and couldn't find any way to set up a port. Seems that XP has midi drivers for internal use but not for setting up a port. Thanks again everyone for your help.

Peter

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online