SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#268553 - 08/02/09 11:29 AM My first impressions of the E-80
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Well I took the chance (buying unseen)..and am I glad I did..

If this isn't the most unheralded keyboard ever..I'll buy a Tyros 3...

First thing I checked were the keys..George mentioned they were better than the E-50 ( a given) and the E-60 (not by much)..It feels very good..seems like the same keys (physically) as the Juno Stage without the (XP80 style) weights under the keys..

Nice resistance and dynamically playable..

The speakers..I have read about so many people that said the speakers sucked...all I can think of..they didn't know how to even select the proper settings...These are the best on board speakers to date...better than the KN7000 (good) and although this board is so similar to the Korg PAx1 (speaker model), look wise and amplification spec wise..The Roland sounds better than the Korg offering..
The E-80 can run wide open and handles everything..Speakers and amps are well matched..

Now some things the E-80 gives me that are not on my G70...

The MP3 player is excellent...once you spend the "long time" making playlist..only one song at a time with the "make playlist" internal software in the E-80..
The PC software would be a welcome avenue as it works well with the Juno Stage....but not compatible with the E-80..

I just had a nightmare...after spending 4 hours "making" a playlist..(126 of the intended 187 MP3's...Lightning struck..literally...I lost all 4 hours of work..

I didn't want to save half way through..since you can not add to the playlist created on the E-80..You can make a new one..

The E-80 will play the MP3's direct from the root folder, but it is faster switching from style play/ SMF play and back to MP3 play..if you create play list....otherwise it scans the MP3 folder automatically when you go back to MP3 play ..(takes about a minute to scan)...where as with playlist, it is just a couple seconds..

The E-80 uses 3 multi effects with SMF's and Styles..you can assign any part to one of the MFX's..using all 3 with in the SMF or style..The G70 allows only a single MFX to SMF/Style parts...Nice..but I do not know of anyone even using a single MFX to a SMF/style part now on the G70.. Let alone 3 on the E-80..

The text feature is great..you can copy text prepared on a PC..use it (even link) with MP3's or styles....and you can "turn" pages with a foot pedal or the touch screen..So for folks like myself ..you can have the lyrics with any media or play option..

Like the G70 , I had to check the effects settings and adjust what sounds best to me (global)...and also do not forget the speaker options..these settings do not effect the audio outputs , but can surly kill what the speakers sound like...Here is where the folks that said it sounded bad..were in error...Internal speakers on the E-80 "rock"..you also have bass enhancement choices..again only effects the internal speakers..

I was able to duplicate my G70 set up on my E-80 without problems..There are a lot of different style on the E-80 not found on the G70..and I am thankful they are not on the G70... ..A lot of European that I would not use...and there are some addition great styles I would use..

I wanted to use the E-80 tonight on stage, but I have to wait ..so I can complete the playlist..thanks to mother nature (storms)..

I will compare the sounds between the G70 and E-80..in my next article..There are some surprises..

Got to load up my G70 for my shore gig...

PS: about that unheralded comment..Tyros3 spent the shortest stay of any keyboard I owned...It went to a new home in less than an hour..

It couldn't cut the mustard in the select group of G70, E-80, and the MediaStation... [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img].. [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img].. [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img]

#268554 - 08/02/09 11:41 AM Re: My first impressions of the E-80
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Tyros3 spent the shortest stay of any keyboard I owned...It went to a new home in less than an hour. It couldn't cut the mustard in the select group of G70, E-80...

You beat my record. I lasted a week with a Tyros before I shoved it into the back of the first willing buyer's car and went back to Roland.

Enjoy your E-80.

#268555 - 08/02/09 08:37 PM Re: My first impressions of the E-80
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Fran, I wonder if you and I are the only people that have the E 80.
I have tried to get a thread going before but nobody participated.
there are a few in the Roland UK forum that have e 80's like maybe 5 or 6.
Bebop

#268556 - 08/02/09 11:26 PM Re: My first impressions of the E-80
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Fran, I can't believe you'd risk any keyboard you cared about with power unprotected by a UPS. At least here in Florida (lightning capitol of the world ) I don't run ANYTHING without a UPS on it...

And yes, I have had the power go out completely, and still been able to save safely. Four hours of my time is worth more than a cheap UPS

#268557 - 08/03/09 01:50 AM Re: My first impressions of the E-80
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:

Ahem.

#268558 - 08/03/09 04:28 AM Re: My first impressions of the E-80
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
I have tried to get a thread going before but nobody participated.
there are a few in the Roland UK forum that have e 80's like maybe 5 or 6.
Bebop

E-80 V2 owner reporting, Sir :-)

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM
http://www.keyboardforum.nl
Happy owner of a Roland E-80 V2

#268559 - 08/03/09 07:52 AM Re: My first impressions of the E-80
mr9000 Offline

SeamasterWrote:"You beat my record. I lasted a week with a Tyros before I shoved it into the back of the first willing buyer's car and went back to Roland."
--------------------------------------------
FranWrote:"PS: about that unheralded comment..Tyros3 spent the shortest stay of any keyboard I owned...It went to a new home in less than an hour.."
============================================
Well don't leave me clueless please,go into what went on for those conclusions to unfold.Thx

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 08-03-2009).]

#268560 - 08/03/09 11:02 AM Re: My first impressions of the E-80
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mr9000:
SeamasterWrote:"You beat my record. I lasted a week with a Tyros before I shoved it into the back of the first willing buyer's car and went back to Roland."

Personally for me..meaning my opinion..

The sounds are lifeless, lack punch or maybe best described as "live" sounding..Most of the sounds are very thin for my desire...

It reminds me of an on going repackaging job to the new Yamaha buyers...Still sounds like PSR 2100 ..basically..

I am sure the drums can be addressed to be a little better...but I know I want the Roland drums when I play..

The styles are also bland to me....most likely because I am use to another brand or two...This keyboard could never run with a Ketron.. in the bass/drums/styles department...This comparison is from an independent..who owns either Ketron or Yamaha {now}...

If you take away a few great sounds from the Tyros...you have... a PSR2100..sound...

And I dislike the OS as much as I dislike the Ketron OS..

#268561 - 08/03/09 11:07 AM Re: My first impressions of the E-80
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Hey, Fran.... have you run out and got a UPS yet...?

#268562 - 08/03/09 11:17 AM Re: My first impressions of the E-80
Fran Carango Offline

Diki, I have one somewhere around here...finding it ..is another matter...Anyway, I am going to try again..5-6 hours of making a playlist..

I checked the weather..Should be good for the next 12 hours..no storms..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online