SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#267464 - 07/10/09 12:20 PM Thanks for the much needed support....
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You folks can't imagine how very much I have needed and appreciate the support you've given me after my little altercation with a robber about a month ago.

I was packing up to go on a client call up in Indiana, about 6:00 AM. Like an idiot, I left the front door open. A kid from the neighborhood I had actually let work every so often came in with a knife.

The resulting struggle left him with a broken wrist, dislocated sholder, a damaged knee and lots of ugly cuts and bruises. He went to the emergency room and then to jail.

I had a cut on my left upper arm, some soreness and not much else. I thought I'd be sore for a week and be fine.

I just had some reconstructive surgery this week to repair nerve damage from the cut. I have no feeling in my left hand and wrist area. That means, unless things improve rapidly, for the near future, at least, my left-handed keyboard bass, upright, bass guitar and guitar days are over.

I can still make some of my jobs. I have two tonite and one tomorrow, all on arrangers, which, as you know is my least favorite way of making music.

At least I can do that. I have to re-think the way I do things, and keep my eyes on the left hand, because the co-ordination you have with feeling the changes and positioning just isn't there.

Only other players (you folks) can understand the effects of not being able to play. Family and friends have stopped by and expressed their feelings, but, in this case, you "gotta be there" to understand.

This little incident has also dramatically affected my work in research analysis, copywriting, graphics...anything requiring using a keypad.

Driving is also a challenge. I can't handle standard shift as well as I need to and left-handed clutches on my motorcycles are "deal breakers". Luckily, I've got a couple of automatic vehicles, a couple of old restored Cushman motorscooters and an automatic Kymco, which I just rode across town to lunch and back.

Thanks so much for the support. Sorry I mentioned this in Cass's post on the 2nd Jam.
Did not intend to hijack the thread, and let my frustration get the best of me.

Be careful out there!

Russ

#267466 - 07/10/09 01:01 PM Re: Thanks for the much needed support....
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Brian, I REALLY appreciate the humor, and am glad you have recovered.

Thanks so much!

R.

#267467 - 07/10/09 01:18 PM Re: Thanks for the much needed support....
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Russ...
The loss of hand (left, right or both) coordination as it relates to playing music has always been one of my biggest fears.

Imagine losing an arm. That is what happened to a country artist I worked with in WV. He now resides in Florida and is a one-armed one man band thanks to Ketron and some very creative foot pedals.

I know you are not a country or hill-billy fan, but he is a member of the Rock-a-billy Hall of Fame....and they did a story on him. http://www.rockabillyhall.com/DaleBrooks.html

He invited Carol and I up to his house in Orange City FL a couple of years ago and never once mentioned the loss of the arm or any problems it has caused. In fact, he invited some of his band members over one night and we had a jam in his living room. It is UNBELIEVABLE how he has coped with the loss of the arm.

Based upon previous posts of yours I feel confident that you will make the best of your current situation. Imagine if there were no such things as arrangers. I would hope that your arm, hand and fingers recover fully. Till then, you will make plenty of music with one or more of your arrangers. I will bet on it.

Eddie

[This message has been edited by btweengigs (edited 07-10-2009).]

#267468 - 07/10/09 03:00 PM Re: Thanks for the much needed support....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Thanks so much for the support. Sorry I mentioned this in Cass's post on the 2nd Jam.
Did not intend to hijack the thread, and let my frustration get the best of me.

Be careful out there!

Russ

It's very frustrating, Russ, and I can identify...I had a my little finger nearly lost when I had got into a set to with a guy with a knife...I was only about 18 or so.

I wasn't expecting it (he was an acquaintance) and my martial arts didn't prevent me from getting cut, but it did help finish things quickly in my favor.

I couldn't use my left hand for quite some time...they re-attached the finger, and a year later I had surgery to reconnect the tendons.

You are lucky you weren't cut worse, and also very lucky they can fix the problems...all it will take now, is time, and we musicians aren't noted for our patience.

I'm just glad to hear you're okay...I don't want to lose another "uncle"...especially one that can play keyboards, and is savvy in business...usually that's a rare combination.

You have my best wishes for a speedy recovery, and I hope you're back behind the keys in jig time.

Your "nephew"

Ian

#267469 - 07/10/09 03:26 PM Re: Thanks for the much needed support....
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
No BS here, Russ. Take care of yourself and use only the best doctors available. Follow directions and pray. I now have a plaquie in my family room that says, "Prayer Changes Things." I believe.

#267470 - 07/10/09 04:37 PM Re: Thanks for the much needed support....
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
No good deed goes unpunished, they say...

For this to happen to you, and by someone you have helped in the past says a lot about where we are as a society. A sad place indeed...

If there IS a bright side to all this, I can only imagine it is that things did not turn out FAR worse (he might have had a gun ) than they have, and that yes, we do have amazing tools at our fingers (however many of them we can use) to make music that would not have been possible thirty years ago or so. Small consolation I am sure, but better than none..!

Get better soon, Russ...

#267471 - 07/10/09 05:31 PM Re: Thanks for the much needed support....
zuki Offline

Russ, here's for a speedy recovery. Something tells me you won't be down long

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#267472 - 07/10/09 05:34 PM Re: Thanks for the much needed support....
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
I never followed the other thread, so I'm SO sorry to hear about this now Russ.

Modern Medicine can do great things these days (I'm not just saying that flippantly - I firmly believe it) so hopefully we'll see some real hope and improvement in your situation.

You'll get there buddy!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#267473 - 07/10/09 05:41 PM Re: Thanks for the much needed support....
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
HI Russ,
hoping everything works out ok for you. It's usually takes time for wounds to heal.
All the best.
best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#267474 - 07/10/09 07:28 PM Re: Thanks for the much needed support....
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
You KNOW I'm praying for you, buddy ...
t.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online