SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#267380 - 07/08/09 08:57 PM What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

After the Mikey situation and the djn scandal, I thought I'd write something positive. I read this in a book on communication.

Name a member (or members) here, and write what you admire most about that person. You don't have to be great friends...you just need to recognize what you consider to be a fine quality and let the group know how you perceive them to be.

Hopefully this will offset certain recent postings and put the Forum back on somewhat of an upbeat track.

Lucky

#267381 - 07/08/09 09:05 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Well I like how you can be positively Pro-Active in a bad situation/atmosphere Lucky!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#267382 - 07/08/09 10:44 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
mr9000 Offline

For this one, i get Diki-initis & always must come trespassing over here to witness in silent gaspings how he could be my own double poster, with many more words of course compared to my own.I became aware of it on Mediastation issues,as i sit reading about Mediastation posts,then stop to question many things about what is being said about it,then figure "must be just me",think i'll just stay silent,then along come the D-man,and spilling out everything i was myself wondering.Brutal,yet truthful & honest opinions is a rare treat i like to partaken of often.A neat unconnection type connection i come to consistantly find on an almost daily practice,and i must add, at times find myself unintentionally spraying my freshly roasted columbian brewed beans over..Oh & Don't think i am kissing your ass Diki, a chest man myself,sorry!

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 07-08-2009).]

#267383 - 07/09/09 12:12 AM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Lord, where to start?

Russ has got to be one of my heroes here, matching his skill and jazz sensibilities to an uncommon sense of ethics, charity and good humor...

Ian has my twisted sense of humor, modesty, skill, and passion (OK, I only have the modesty! ) and MUCH nicer summer weather...

Chas I miss, wish he would come back and lend a jazz organist's perspective, as well.

I could go on all night...

This IS a family here, and who amongst us has a perfect one? That we keep coming here says a LOT more about us than who is feuding with who THIS week, or what arranger is the BEST, etc.. You can't pick your relatives, and you can't pick your forum membership, but you GOTTA love 'em all, anyway, dontcha?

#267384 - 07/09/09 02:05 AM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I purchased a antique dinning room table with four chairs. It showed age and beauty. While I was teaching in my studio my Dad was busy working on something. He later came in and told me that he had sanded the table and now it has no more scratches and little digs.

May that never happen to this forum.

It’s every one of us that make this a place we keep coming back to. And every one includes a Donny. (DNJ) How boring it would be without a Diki this place could get sane. (grin)

John C.

#267385 - 07/09/09 06:22 AM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by bruno123:
How boring it would be without a Diki this place could get sane. (grin)

John C.

I know you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but can someone show John C. how to insert a smiley into a post .

Okay, I've been tempted to respond before, especially to the recent 'piling on' mentality that seemed to have developed among even some of our more reasonable and rational members, when it came to ANYTHING posted by Diki, no matter how innocuous, inoffensive, or insipid. Thank goodness none of the people I respect most ever engaged in any of this, but in fact were more often the voice of reason and mediation when the attacks became personal and obviously based on something other than the content of his post. Luckily, Diki is more than capable of defending himself.

But, back to the topic.......

I hate to rate people so I'm not going to come right out and say Capt. Russ is at the top of my list......even if (hypothetically) he was . But I think most folks on this forum (and I'm sure in his larger world) can only be in awe of his generosity, his involvement in causes that benefit people of all persuasions, the help he has given to individuals, some of whom he has never even seen (scholarships, tuition assistance, etc.). I love his appreciation of the great musicians (and music) of the past, and his vast knowledge of same. I really, really, love his energy, especially at a time when a lot of us are at least thinking about slowing down a little. I had the recent pleasure of meeting Russ and his equally nice son (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree) and I hope that many more of you get the opportunity to meet Russ....one of the good guys in our business. BTW, with his activity schedule, Russ could legitimately use a clone or two . Okay, so he's an organ player so I may be a little biased .

Diki......has all the qualities I admire most; a keen intellect along with the verbal and written skills to put it on display. Also, a fine musician with a vast knowledge of not only music but the music business as well. I have sometimes been astounded at his insights (such as recognizing my fondness for music from the "STAX RECORDS" era and how it influences some of the things I do musically. The guy really does know his stuff. Very high on my list of people I'd like to meet in person.

Ian. Ok, so he's a Yammie fanboy (Diki's words, not mine). His wit and humor is second to none (guess you'd better have one if you're going to live on an ice floe ). I wish I had his book of quotes. I was pleasantly surprised to see (hear) his formidable musical skills on display. He made even a Yamaha sound good . Another guy I'd enjoy having a beer or two with.

Nigel.....I was in management most of my working life and it's easy for me to see the management skill, judgement calls (knowing when to jump in or allow things to play themselves out), tone-setting, etc., that is required to keep a (potentially) volatile board like this viable month after month, year after year. Not many could do this job.

Okay, time to slither back to obscurity until something new needs my attention . I AM considering throwing a 'quick and dirty' "This Masquerade" up for fun. If I do, I hope Ian (the absolute master of 'tongue in cheek') is as kind to me as he was to F...whoops, sorry, the devil made me do it .

chas

#267386 - 07/09/09 06:41 AM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I think I'm a great guy?!?!?!?!

#267387 - 07/09/09 07:35 AM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Who couldn't I say a good word about? There are so many members who have answered my questions, offered help, given encouragement, even prayed for my health. This place is one of my home pages; I'm on it from early morning to late evening. I actually miss Scott Yee and now Donny Pesce and Mikey, if he chooses to leave for good. Those are three of the most recent friends I've gained.

I've become good friends with Bill Corfield (from Dayton) and Steve Molnar. I've bought keyboards from AJ, JimP and Uncle Dave and other items from Fran and Donny; and sold a number of my things to other fellow members. The list goes on.

What it boils down to is that I've really become attached to all of you. I look forward to your info, your laughs, your criticisms, your human failings. This fills a space in my life vacated by the teacher's lounge of my old school - I always love being there for whatever was going on.

I even liked John DiLeo.

#267388 - 07/09/09 08:00 AM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
I think I'm a great guy?!?!?!?!

You're the BEST, Just not a great guy!! One of these Fridays real soon TMads and I are coming to your store to terrorize you so watch out!!! Just make sure you have plenty for us to eat!

#267389 - 07/09/09 08:02 AM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Who couldn't I say a good word about? There are so many members who have answered my questions, offered help, given encouragement, even prayed for my health. This place is one of my home pages; I'm on it from early morning to late evening. I actually miss Scott Yee and now Donny Pesce and Mikey, if he chooses to leave for good. Those are three of the most recent friends I've gained.

I've become good friends with Bill Corfield (from Dayton) and Steve Molnar. I've bought keyboards from AJ, JimP and Uncle Dave and other items from Fran and Donny; and sold a number of my things to other fellow members. The list goes on.

What it boils down to is that I've really become attached to all of you. I look forward to your info, your laughs, your criticisms, your human failings. This fills a space in my life vacated by the teacher's lounge of my old school - I always love being there for whatever was going on.

I even liked John DiLeo.

Cass Ditto. I've made more friends here in the last couple of years than I have in what I'll call the "Civilian World" (meaning non-musicians)

#267390 - 07/09/09 08:22 AM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Well, first off, I want to thank Diki and Chas for their very kind words.

Like Diki, I find it very hard to search for a place to start.

My admiration for many people has grown since I first logged on back in July, 2005, and I would have to say Nigel(I mean this not in a kissy-assed way) has shown remarkable restraint and patience during the Ian and Diki, and Ian and Donny wars...I don't think I'd have the tolerance, but I am glad we have a group owner that does...he has also posted some very dry, and witty posts, and I appreciate both him and this wonderful forum.

I got a computer very reluctantly...I was a given a laptop by my former Yamaha boss, when I was on a sabbatical to look after the last member of my family, and Uncle Jim, who had dementia, and had no one else to look after him. I promised him he would never go into a "home" and I kept it...he died here, in his own home, with his only family, me, by his side. I owed him a lot, since it was he who paid for my piano lessons, and who helped me buy my first keyboard...he passed away in December, 2005, and I still miss him a lot.

I taught myself how to use the laptop and it became a friend, and the Internet was a vast playground that helped me while away the time...I discovered there were a great number of arranger players...hardly any pros here in Cape Breton, and more importantly, I discovered Synth Zone.

Diki, is a great source of knowledge, and I always enjoyed his posts, even when I was the target of his wit and strange and infectious sense of humor...that what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, and I came to appreciate, and identify with his passion for music and also his sense of fair play.

Capt Russ...ahhh...he reminds so much of an Uncle Allie...who was a jazz violinist, and who was larger than life, much like Russ...his uncompromising points of view are often great lessons for those of us who aren't as experienced, but still have to play in the same playground.

I really miss Chas around here...I have said this many times. I respect his reasons for backing off...that took a lot of guts and/or diplomacy...I would really love to hear him play, and would be tickled if he posted a tune.

Fran and Donny are every bit as important to me, and to this place...Donny helps me recognize my humanness with his antics, and he is as passionate about music and gigging as the rest of us, and very talented,...as is Fran, who can take a joke with the best of them, even when he is sometimes the target...SZ would not be the same without them....I miss having Donny around, and I'm sure he misses this place, and is no doubt, contrite about his faux pas.

Cassp has my thanks, and my appreciation for getting the SZ Jam started, and opening my ears to remarkable talent, such as Cassp himself, and Bill Corfield, Noel, Stephenm52, Eddie (betweengigs), Fred Wren, ChicoBrasil, John Squance(jwyvern), and, last, but certainly not least, Tony Mads.
I certainly feel like I know everyone a lot better, and I feel it's because of Cassp, who has been the been the one who really set his sights on a SZ Jam goal, did not discourage easily, and carried it off very well.

This place is the first stop for me...and the last at night...sometimes I've checked in throughout the night if there was something really interesting, and/or controversial going on.

Diki is right...it is a family here...dysfunctional sometimes, but it would be boring otherwise.

#267391 - 07/09/09 08:37 AM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Lucky, what a kind and timely topic!

What I appreciate is the diversity we have here. I'm not going to do even a partial list of my favorites, but everyone knows Chas, Diki, Uncle Dave, Don Mason, Dennis, Rory, Ian, Tony and Nigel are on it, for sure.

Look at the diversity! Here we have everything from an Austrailian video game designer to a Louisana "country gentleman"...a cool, compassionate pilot/jazz/B-3 guy in Atlanta to a passionate full time "gigging" musician origionally from England who is an unselfish helper in the areas of instrument technical stuff and in all matters musical...a music teacher from the North and a full-time Nashville musician in the South.

Talk about diverse music! We have a smooth voiced "county gentleman" who can emulate the hell out of a pedal steel to a hard core jazz organist in Atlanta...a genius multi-instrument guy in "music city" to a sensitive Leon Russell influenced dude in the "land down under".

Frankly, until I really listened to their views, I sometimes missed the real substance. A couple of times, I was mildly irritated, at first, at a few of the folks who are now at the very top of my list.

That's because:

1. I wasn't giving what they had to say my full open-minded consideration.

2. I briefly forgot that, just because they might approach things a little differently, that only means that their approach is not right for ME and I have no business criticizing their approach on a personal level.

After putting some of the foolishness aside, my life is much richer now when I include my friends whom I would never have met if it weren't for the "zone". I don't go to any other site.

My personal visits, although brief, are lifetime highlights. Luckily, I'll be returning to Atlanta frequently, and will have a chance to visit with Chas who is a "reinissance man" if there ever was one.

And, one way or another, I'm going down to Louisanna to harrass one of the brightest, most enjoyable and talented people I've ever contacted: Don Mason.

Let's all enjoy each other; celebrate the similarities; enjoy the diversity and forget the silly little differences, which are not worth the bother.

I REALLY appreciate you folks.

Russ (group hug) Lay

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 07-09-2009).]

#267392 - 07/09/09 09:42 AM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I like everybody. We need more girls though.
I've learned something from everyone here, and gotten help from just about everybody at one time or another.
I don't have time right now to go into details because IT'S HERE!
DonM

#267393 - 07/09/09 09:55 AM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
In addition to those already mentioned there are a few who may be on a "sabatical" or who are not frequent posters, but all of whom I have met or corresponded with to the point of real friendship.

In no particular order: Gary Diamond, Bad Boy Donny, Glenn Toth, Tom Cavanaugh and one mystery lurker who never posts...but I know he is here...my favorite nephew, Ron, the OMB extrardinaire.
Special mention to Cassp for the eJam. Great fun.

Eddie

#267394 - 07/09/09 03:05 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Ian, I'd be proud to be your "adopted uncle Russ".

R.

#267395 - 07/09/09 03:42 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
124 Offline

I WAS going to say that this is a nice place to visit. But it is much more than that and I'll freely admit that everyone here feels like a friend, even though I've never met anyone in person.

We have this common thread, this gift of music, channeled through arranger keyboards, so that makes us a small group in the general scheme of things. But if we're small in number, then we are huge in terms of truly good people. I don't want to name names for fear of excluding someone, so inasmuch as generalising is sometimes dangerous, I have no qualms saying that I'm very glad to have your acquaintance, every last one of you.

Now get back on yer bloody board and practice, will ya!

#267396 - 07/09/09 06:37 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Like Diki, I have often said - usually amidst some verbal warfare between any number of us - that S-Z is FAMILY, and what family members don't have a falling out once in a while?!? ... I have had my moments as well with some members from time to time, but mostly it was when something got lost in the translation of the written word to intended meaning ...
I have been fortunate to have met a number of 'Zoners', my iPOD has a 'Zoner' play list which keeps growing, thanks to the innovative thinking of cass and the participation of MANY of you ...
It is difficult to single out individuals, but I look forward to meeting DonM in August, and I would REALLY love to be able to meet the 'Captain', chas, and Diki ... all three very diverse individuals in their own way, but I believe all possessing the same great human qualities ...
As ian said, this place is my first stop every morning and the last at night - and a few times in between when I am home - ... I miss the people who no longer participate for whatever reason, and I hope I'm not going to be missing more - you KNOW who you are ...

Thnx for being here, and of course a very special thnx to Nigel ...
t.

#267397 - 07/09/09 07:46 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I visit other forums that would never tolerate the shenanigans that go on here, but then again - WHERE ELSE COULD YOU READ AN ENTIRE, WELL-REPRESENTED THREAD LIKE THIS.

And more than anything else, I'm totally blown away by the honesty and sincerity of everyone on this forum. I would not hesitate to welcome any of you at my door or to meet somewhere for a sandwich or a drink.

#267398 - 07/10/09 04:09 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
first up,
thank you Nigel for giving us this great forum.
Secondly Bebop, thank you for the many happy years I spent as part of the Technics arranger forum.
Next, thank you Frank Rosenthal, Bluezplayer & Fran, who got me thru difficult part of my life during the 8 months my husband spent in hospital back in 2004.
Frank introduced me to the concept of softsynths & software arrangers on my laptop. Gave me something to think about & do over the many hours spent in hospital waiting rooms.

On a lighter note, thank you Don M, haven't forgotten you were kind enough to send me a Ketron serial cable all the way from the USA, when I couldn't buy one locally.
Lifesaver at the time haahaa.

There's just too many people to mention, with whom I've had some great chats.

Diki & Ian, do spring to mind though, they're always happy to discuss stuff on styles, my pet passion. Might not always agre with the way Diki handles stuff, but it would be a dull place without him

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#267399 - 07/10/09 06:02 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, I still think you should give up on everything and go back to the softsynth and software based arrangers. It is the best way to let life pass you by....

#267400 - 07/11/09 11:14 AM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
You are all great. This place wouldn't be the same without any of you. That includes those that are absent from the forum at the moment.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 07-12-2009).]

#267401 - 07/11/09 05:21 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
great to see you're still here.
Miss our chats.

Sold my SD1, one down , to 2 go haahaa
(my pa800's a keeper, though)

Maybe one day,

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Rikki, I still think you should give up on everything and go back to the softsynth and software based arrangers. It is the best way to let life pass you by....

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#267402 - 07/11/09 07:20 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
I gotta say Capn' Russ is a class act.

He took on board what I said in a previous thread and was perceptive enough to:

1. Read my post completely and understand fully what I was actually saying to him.

2. Genuine enough to publicly (and privately - to me) reply in an honest, open and constructive way.

It takes real character for someone to search both themselves and their past actions/words, to express their inner feelings to fellow board members, and resolve any issues they/we might have.

Everyone (including me) should do this as often as they can, Forum members or not.

Thanks Russ for your contributions to this "Virtual PLace".

[This message has been edited by hellboy44 (edited 07-11-2009).]

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#267403 - 07/11/09 09:53 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi,
first up,

You're so welcome Rikki. This place wouldn't be the same without you. And DonM complains we don't have enough girls. You are a very special girl that we all love on this forum. Aussie girls rule, and I can vouch for that because I am married to one.

#267405 - 07/12/09 10:48 AM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by BBBB:
... But you gotta love a place where you can go where everybody knows your name ...

.... or NAMES ... ... oh wait, that's not allowed anymore ... ...
t.
PS ... the DEVIL made me do it ...

#267406 - 07/12/09 12:38 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi,
first up,
Secondly Bebop, thank you for the many happy years I spent as part of the Technics arranger forum.
best wishes
Rikki

thank you Rikki, It is good to be remembered by your peers in a positive way. It was very kind of you to mention my years of getting the Technics Forum going. MOst have forgot that by now.
This forum is blessed to have you here through the years. You have been a positive influence from the beginnig. We have all learned from you too.
Best to you and yours,
Bebop

#267407 - 07/12/09 06:09 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
rikkisbears Offline

Thank you Nigel,
I'm at a loss for words.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
You're so welcome Rikki. This place wouldn't be the same without you. And DonM complains we don't have enough girls. You are a very special girl that we all love on this forum. Aussie girls rule, and I can vouch for that because I am married to one.

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 07-12-2009).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#267408 - 07/12/09 06:30 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Bebop,
I no longer participate there,( my KN went in 2004 ) but I haven't forgotten the fun days we spent there while you were running it.
Eagerly looking forward to what would have most likely been the KN8000, instead Technics closed down, and so many of us went their own way with various brands of keyboards. End of an era.
Unfortunately, all good things come to an end, but as a group, we sure enjoyed each others company while it lasted, no squabbles, we were there to support each other..
Thanks again

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
thank you Rikki, It is good to be remembered by your peers in a positive way. It was very kind of you to mention my years of getting the Technics Forum going. MOst have forgot that by now.
This forum is blessed to have you here through the years. You have been a positive influence from the beginnig. We have all learned from you too.
Best to you and yours,
Bebop

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#267409 - 07/12/09 10:32 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#267410 - 07/13/09 01:52 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
It's a great bunch!...And I enjoy and learn from all of you...THANKS!
Lee S.

#267411 - 07/13/09 06:23 PM Re: What do you like about SZ member (fill in the blank)?
JCkeeys Offline

Loc: St. James,New York,USA
I do not post too often but have been here since 2000! Enjoy everyone and check in several times a week. I miss some of the "Old Timers" that are gone or do not post as often as they use to.

Thank you Nigel!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online