SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#267081 - 07/04/09 12:54 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
mr9000 Offline

Wholly catbags!..why the h*ll would any sane person come to the silly insane conclusion that having multi personalties is deemed acceptable.I never knew this was even going on.There should be a golden rule at EVERY forum to immediately axe&ban such mental illnesses.

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 07-04-2009).]

#267082 - 07/04/09 01:19 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Nice action Nigel, but IP ban won't do a big difference if not static. Else you may
lock access for some innocent people from the forum as well.
If edit into total different post as well as the delete function could be removed,
this forum would probably also get far less posts who heat the blood as we have seen
some examples about during the years.
Maybe we would think twice before post in a hurry or after a couple of drinks when we
know that what's written and posted is there to stay.

Cheers and Happy celebrating 4th of July.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#267083 - 07/04/09 02:30 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
John DiLeo was a persona Donny created. John has left for good and Donny is having a break for a while to look after John who isn't feeling himself

So Synthzone had it's very own e-Sybil.

After you posted your original message to Donny, I went back and read some of the controversial topics and was suprised at some of the antics.

Nice catch!

Jerry

[This message has been edited by Jerryghr (edited 07-04-2009).]

#267084 - 07/04/09 02:50 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
at the Spanish form we use to have at the Music Player.com site, when the moderator was on vacation, usually for a week, we had permission [from the moderator of course] to have multiple personalities and create chaos for a week it was fun but it had to be stopped once the moderator was back, of course everybody agreed that no matter what we said and happened it was all in fun, but we never offended each other too bad .

#267085 - 07/04/09 02:51 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by jwyvern:
Nigel, how does that work? If people have dynamic addressing and are in the habit of turning their computer off every day won't they be allocated a new/different IP every time they switch back on?

John

Well many people do have static IP addresses ( I can tell that from the IP logs ). And those that don't always tend to have the dynamic IP allocated from the same block of 256 IPs ( I guess certain areas are given a particular IP block to allocate from ) so in that case I block the entire 256. In the very unlikely chance of a blocked IP affecting another innocent user then they would simply email me to alert me to the problem and I would address it. This has never proved to be a problem.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 07-04-2009).]

#267086 - 07/04/09 04:35 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
You guys take stuff way too seriously.

Mental illness???

I don't condone an alias for illegal activity or things of it's nature.

This is a public forum.
Some people come on here because this is the only life they know. Some people use it as a good trade resource. Others based on the postings use it for therapy.

Relax!

I said I have used an alias on other sites not to be sinister but so the responses aren't skewed based on previous thoughts or postings.

Cmon guys, life is to short!

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid.com
www.youtube.com/kidconcert

#267087 - 07/04/09 05:01 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
mr9000 Offline

mikey..have you had that little problem correctly diagnosed?
Seriously though,now i am starting to wonder just how many clones there all in any found forum.Why a person would want multi user names remains a form of something shady going on/illness to me though.

#267088 - 07/04/09 05:25 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by mr9000:
mikey..have you had that little problem correctly diagnosed?
Seriously though,now i am starting to wonder just how many clones there all in any found forum.Why a person would want multi user names remains a form of something shady going on/illness to me though.

I have no problems to diagnose. I'm just stating my honest opinion. That's what a forum is for isn't it?

I never used any name calling or insulted anyone.
I'd appreciate if you didn't act that way towards me

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.jokevid.com
www.youtube.com/kidconcert

#267089 - 07/04/09 05:37 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mikey_maestro:
I have no problems to diagnose. I'm just stating my honest opinion. That's what a forum is for isn't it?

Yep for sure. I certainly don't have a problem with anything you said Mikey.

It is only creating fake personas that I draw the line at. And that is something that I am very sure you don't do.

#267090 - 07/04/09 08:01 PM Re: A little dead around here lately
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
Yeah, there was a trial by judge and a verdict was reached.

To clarify, there really is no rule about having an alias as long as that persona is still REALLY YOU. But John DiLeo wasn't Donny. It was in his own words an amateur one finger chord arranger player. And what really sucked is that Donny used both of them on the same threads to pat eachother's backs and create tension with other members. That is not allowed and not fair to the other members. Using an alias to cause problems is what drew my attention to this in the first place due to complaints I received. Using an alias in this fashion will certainly result in the IP being blocked. I'm guessing that is not how you make use of your alias usernames?

The verdict is in and set in stone. Umm which online forum does actually have trial by jury?

To offer up my two cents, I think aliases are inherently destructive to websites like this. I can't really think of a legit scenario that would justify one. (Sorry, Mikey...why not just explain "hey this is what I do" and then comment freely from whatever perspective suits your needs?)

I think Donny's conduct was terrible. Forums are all about debate, conversation and give & take. He's got enough experience and knowledge that on those merits alone, he should be able to make all the arguments he wished. Too often he chose to "hit & run" take cheap shots at people to goad them and then delete his posts. The way "John" interplayed with threads also stood out. The degree to which he developed "John" was weird. A quick search tells us John participated in some 110 or so different threads since the name was created. That's 110 times readers thought they were reading content from one user, when it was really Donny. As free-wheeling as the internet is, private topic based forums like this carry some level of expected forthright behavior. Its implicit but IMO, present.

I think there should be no provisions for ANY secondary screen names whatsoever. I ask Nigel to reconsider that specific policy and perhaps modify it in the near future.

That said, if secondary screen names ARE permitted, there should be some immediate sign that a given screen name is in fact a secondary screen name of so& so (The primary screen name from that ip address)

For example, EVERY time John DiLeo posted a comment anywhere on this website, it also clearly indicates that "John DiLeo" is a secondary screen name of Donny Pesce...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 07-04-2009).]

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online