SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#265698 - 06/02/09 10:45 PM need songs for Hula Hoop contest
Lucky2Bhere Offline

I need some help on this one. I doing a large annual event next week at a school where the only requirement is that I play music for the "hula hoop" contest. Each team takes a turn every few minutes and the whole thing lasts for about 90 minutes.

Well, I could play Let's Twist Again for the whole 90 minutes...they probably wouldn't even notice, but every year I try to give them something new.

So, do any of you have any input on songs I could play? Tunes that have a similar drum pattern to "Let's Twist Again" (like Wipeout, The Locomotion.....even generic cover versions of the Twist if you know of any. Or....a site that would list alternative songs. I've Googled all night and can't find anything.

Lucky

[This message has been edited by Lucky2Bhere (edited 06-09-2009).]

#265699 - 06/03/09 07:07 AM Re: need songs for Hula Hoop contest
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Looks to me like you have a pretty good list. I know a guy in Fla who plays "The Twist" or Let's Twist Again" every day and no one complains. You could add "Boney Marony" and "LaBamba" to your list.

Glenn

#265700 - 06/03/09 07:31 AM Re: need songs for Hula Hoop contest
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I often do a two-song medley of La Bamba and Twist and Shout. There are many others you could throw in with the same style, assuming you are playing versus using midi files. Maybe Crocodile Rock, Land of 1000 Dances (Hey it's only ONE chord!) Speaking of one-chord songs, Bo Diddly would work if you have the right beat. It's on a lot of Yamaha arrangers.
DonM

#265701 - 06/09/09 09:10 PM Re: need songs for Hula Hoop contest
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Thanks guys. The "twist" event is this week. Your remarks tweaked my creative juices. I went through ALL my oldies and came up with these. As you already know, the "twist" beat can't just be fast....it has to have a rhythm that makes you want to swivel. So I went through every one of these imagining I was a "twister."

Barbara Ann Beach Boys
Boney Maronie Larry Williams
Bongo Rock Preston Epps
Bumble Boogie B. Bumble & the Stingers
Do You Love Me Contours
Fun, Fun, Fun Beach Boys
Good Lovin' Young Rascals
Greased Lightening
Hippy Hippy Shake Georgia Satelites
I Saw Her Standing There Beatles
Keep On Dancing Gentrys
Good Golly Miss Molly Little Richard