SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#264966 - 06/02/09 11:57 AM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
Dnj Offline

Karaoke & DJ's are the Live Musician's biggest competition like it or not .....that alone says something for how much the public is embracing this kind of entertainment. Little by little without replenishment a slow phasing out will occur of live performers, sad but true. Just look around you, go to a Bar or Wedding, etc...
Find your own niche`, respect it, cure it, & love it with reckless abandon if you want to survive as a "FULL TIME" Live Player.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-02-2009).]

#264967 - 06/02/09 01:16 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave; Ian...I use an arranger, too, on about 30% of my jobs. You're right; the market has changed drastically, and group work is harder to come by. In certain instances, the arranger makes it possible to work.

I guess the secret for me is to use arrangers and other "helpers" (harmonizers, loupers, etc.) as tools that facilitate, not as crutches. It's kind of a slippery slope, and I personally draw the line when it comes to karaoke, or sequences of any kind.

And, of course, NO CHICKEN HATS!

Please understand that this is my preference only, and in NO WAY a criticism of people who do it differently. That's just not for me.

Here's to future success to all, regardless of how we choose to do it.

Russ

#264968 - 06/02/09 01:37 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I keep coming here, and looking at the title line of the forum, and I keep seeing the 'General ARRANGER KEYBOARD Forum' in the header.

So, naturally, I keep looking for when they are going to add 'Karaoke entertainer' up there...

This is not a singing forum (plenty of those). This is not a Karaoke forum (PLENTY of those ). Those who's expertize is in those fields are better served elsewhere. But, curiously, on a forum for players of a certain type of keyboard, it seems that those who's primary skills are not in the field of playing are the ones with the MOST to say, and little patience for anyone else's viewpoint... And often, probably due to their own inability to play well, a lack of appreciation that great playing, all by itself, CAN be great entertainment...

You'll never see Clapton in a chicken hat. Or mugging for the audience. Strangely enough, he can entertain a stadium just by PLAYING. Forgive me when I get frustrated by asinine comments that seem to indicate that 'putting on a show', mugging around and generally ignoring basic playing skills is the ONLY way anyone could possibly get a group of people to like you...

My experience has been that you CAN dazzle a crowd just by playing. And, if you can't, perhaps the solution is to learn to be a better PLAYER, rather than go get a chicken hat...

#264969 - 06/02/09 01:40 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally posted by WDMcM:
I was really hoping for some other opinions before divulging that information. The instrument is nothing I'm selling or otherwise promoting, I am just interested in hearing some honest, un-biased opinions from others. I have my opinion as well, and I kind of like the sound, but then there are things I like about the other brands as well. Personally though I kind of like how the sounds on this instrument are more defined. I don't mean just the fact that they are not buried in reverb. The sounds are sampled a bit more up-front, are less processed sounding (a problem I have with one of the models from the original post) and the fidelity is more dynamically punchy to me. But to each his own. Again, I would just like to hear others opinions.

It can be a G as Ian suggested, or it can be a T.

For my ears, it is up there with the first three. Or at least around there. the WK 8 was a Casio? What Casio is that?

#264970 - 06/02/09 01:57 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
How about the GEM GM-X sound module?
http://www.generalmusic.com/prodotti.asp?cod=xserie&mod=991648

-mike

#264971 - 06/02/09 02:39 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
OK, I created my own versions:

Roland Hyper Canvas
http://rapidshare.com/files/240135903/Sway_HyperCanvas.mp3.html

Hypersonic 2 GM Module
http://rapidshare.com/files/240135904/Sway_Hypersonic_GM.mp3.html

recorded at 96KHz, resampled at 48KHz, Lame encoder 320kbps, used Goldwave

both softsynths are obsolete now... what do you think?

#264972 - 06/02/09 03:02 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
John DiLeo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I keep coming here, and looking at the title line of the forum, and I keep seeing the 'General ARRANGER KEYBOARD Forum' in the header.

So, naturally, I keep looking for when they are going to add 'Karaoke entertainer' up there...

This is not a singing forum (plenty of those). This is not a Karaoke forum (PLENTY of those ). Those who's expertize is in those fields are better served elsewhere. But, curiously, on a forum for players of a certain type of keyboard, it seems that those who's primary skills are not in the field of playing are the ones with the MOST to say, and little patience for anyone else's viewpoint... And often, probably due to their own inability to play well, a lack of appreciation that great playing, all by itself, CAN be great entertainment...

You'll never see Clapton in a chicken hat. Or mugging for the audience. Strangely enough, he can entertain a stadium just by PLAYING. Forgive me when I get frustrated by asinine comments that seem to indicate that 'putting on a show', mugging around and generally ignoring basic playing skills is the ONLY way anyone could possibly get a group of people to like you...

My experience has been that you CAN dazzle a crowd just by playing. And, if you can't, perhaps the solution is to learn to be a better PLAYER, rather than go get a chicken hat...

Diki I have to say what a pompous post as usual....all you ever do is talk down to everyone. It's really annoying day after day. you make it sound that your some kind of music god & I would assume very far from it. I come here to the SZ to enjoy the posts and try to learn from them. Instead I have to maneuver around them because you think you know it all or feel it is right to belittle peoples gear & their way of doing things because you say so. I've been around the business a long time in different facets other then playing and believe me there is always someone like you running around trying to be someone they aren't. Funny thing is they never see it that way themselves. Try to step back sometime and see what you sound like.There are so many good people here on the SZ I've had the pleasure to deal with & that's the only reason I come back. Many have also left due to the BS also & that hurts everyone.I'm sure many feel this way, sorry to be the one to say it.

Have a nice day.

#264973 - 06/02/09 03:13 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by trident:

It can be a G as Ian suggested, or it can be a T.

For my ears, it is up there with the first three. Or at least around there. the WK 8 was a Casio? What Casio is that?

Quote:
Originally posted by msutliff:
How about the GEM GM-X sound module?

-mike

The Generalmusic GM-X it is. Thanks for playing. I do think I will start using it in conjunction with the WK-8 (not a Casio). One MIDI Cable and a short audio cable, set it on top of my amp and I'm ready to go.

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

#264974 - 06/02/09 03:38 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by John DiLeo:
Diki I have to say what a pompous post as usual....all you ever do is talk down to everyone. It's really annoying day after day. you make it sound that your some kind of music god & I would assume very far from it. I come here to the SZ to enjoy the posts and try to learn from them. Instead I have to maneuver around them because you think you know it all or feel it is right to belittle peoples gear & their way of doing things because you say so. I've been around the business a long time in different facets other then playing and believe me there is always someone like you running around trying to be someone they aren't. Funny thing is they never see it that way themselves. Try to step back sometime and see what you sound like.There are so many good people here on the SZ I've had the pleasure to deal with & that's the only reason I come back. Many have also left due to the BS also & that hurts everyone.I'm sure many feel this way, sorry to be the one to say it.

Have a nice day.

And, exactly as you feel you have the right to say what you feel, so do I...

Do I have the right to respond to you? Is it OK for me to post what a prat you come off as, also? You REALLY don't want to read that, trust me...

As to my undoubtedly lousy playing skills, let's put it this way... been making a living for 35+ years. Never had to wear a chicken hat yet!

And, what happened? You didn't notice the karaoke wannabes talking down to people as well? What, exactly, are you looking to learn from these giants of the industry? How to use an arranger as an iPod? Hat advice? Or how to come off as some kind of 'expert' while at the same time admitting that you can't actually PLAY? All yours, mate. Enjoy...

Add to that, belittling other people's gear is pretty much a universal here at SZ, practiced by player and 'entertainer' alike. Get pissed at me for this, you'd better start being pissed at the entire forum. And no, I don't talk down to everyone. But I DO make a point of doing it to those that talk down to me and others, that don't seem to recognize that wearing a chicken hat, or poo-pooing any playing skills is EXACTLY the sort of information people like you are looking for...

BTW, I've been around the music biz for a lifetime, and there's always someone like YOU there too. Unable to tell the difference between those that CAN do something, and those that can't. Assume all you want. Come see me play. I'll play circles around our 'karaoke' protagonists. Not that being able to play well has any value any more, when using someone else's playing and pretending it is you is considered legitimate 'entertainment'.

Take a look around this forum, and try to find something your heroes ever posted about PLAYING music.... Best of luck. Endless pissing contests to bolster the latest thing they bought, but bugger all about playing music. If that's the information you are looking for, have at it. Personally, I think there are a LOT more people here that would like to be able to PLAY better a lot more than they want to learn to be a karaoke entertainer.

Or, at least, I HOPE that is the case...

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online