SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#264926 - 05/28/09 05:43 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
Sorry guys, you are the experts here but even my PA500 sounds better than this PA2Xpro so I think something related to the recording has to do with it. The volume is lower too. The Korg is much more crispy and bright live. That's my humble opinion.

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#264927 - 05/28/09 10:46 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
In a perfect world we would all be using Make-up Tools a la Roland.

All our conversations would center around the Make-up Tools and how, if there were other kinds, they would never be the equal of our beloved Make-up Tools.

And our arrangers would have SA2 solo voices and Mega guitars, Korg's sampler and voice editing and the MS's ability to run VSTi's (and would cost like a GW-8!) and of course, would weigh no more than an S900, but with changeable 88 P85 action or 76 G70...

Sadly, it's NOT. Forgive me for being as enthusiastic as you about a feature that is clearly superior.

Now to get my tongue back in place...

#264928 - 05/29/09 02:31 AM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
to the genesys Offline

It sounded as if the T3 had more reverb than the others.

This time I think the order is:
1 Audya
2. T3
3. PA2x

Recording wise something did not sound right with the PA2x. Volume and punch it was lacking in comparison to the others.

It is obvious that some tweaking would need to be done on each of these keyboards. One factor that would need to be taken in to consideration is the PA system you are playing with.

#264929 - 05/29/09 02:48 AM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
they were all played through a mixer which then went into a Zoom H4n.

The Korg did sound duller this time, but not sure why, I didn't change anything, I'm sure the next midi file I'll play will also have a different outcome.

------------------
www.AudioworksCT.com

#264930 - 05/29/09 03:46 AM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Forgive me for being as enthusiastic as you about a feature that is clearly superior.

Now to get my tongue back in place...

You're forgiven...just don't let it happen again.

#264931 - 05/29/09 05:01 AM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
Pacesetter Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
The "poll" that counts is mine....and I won....

Wow, that has to be the biggest sore loser statement I've heard since I was in about the 8th grade.

#264932 - 05/29/09 05:18 AM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Pacesetter:
Wow, that has to be the biggest sore loser statement I've heard since I was in about the 8th grade.

You should be "such a loser"...

#264933 - 05/29/09 05:43 AM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Pacesetter:

Actually Pacesetter, I have to stick up for Fran...he is much better sore loser than you say.

#264934 - 05/29/09 06:52 AM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
Anonymous
Unregistered

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to being sarcastic, so if this doesn't pertain to you, then don't worry about it.

You know, the amount of time some of you spend comparing one instrument to another could be better spent by learning how to operate the features of the instrument you actually own and creating your own styles and sequences so you don't have to rely on another person's idea of what sound correct.

On the other hand, thanks to Frank and Fran for taking time to record these files because it was interesting to hear the difference. "And yes, I realize that is a bit hypocritical based on the paragraph above, sorry." But it does point out a couple of very important issues.

[*]Everybody has different tastes

[*]Using stock SMF's without editing on the instrument they will be played on, to the users taste, is doing a great disservice to the user.

The fact is, pretty much all of the instruments available today sound great. Then again any of them have the potential to sound very bad by using the wrong sounds, bad effects choices and a poor mix. Of course this goes back to individual tastes, so…

To further push the idea of creating your own music, i.e. limiting the use of stock styles, SMF’s, etc. here is a comparison that I know many of you will be familiar with. How many times have you tried a keyboard out in the store, going through the sounds and thought to yourself, some of these sounds stink? Then you listen to the demo songs and realize that you are hearing some of those very sounds in the demo and are enlightened to realize that you now like those sounds, at least within the context of the demo? There is a good chance that some of those sounds are there specifically for use in the demo songs and were put there by the person who created the demos; a person who is extremely familiar with the instrument they are working with and knows how to get the most out of it. See what I mean?

------------------
Wm. David McMahan
LearnMyKeyboard
JazzItUp Band

[This message has been edited by WDMcM (edited 05-29-2009).]

#264935 - 05/29/09 11:38 AM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Ian... there isn't SUPPOSED to be a guiro... The G70 has a good one, it is just Yamaha's f*ckup that you can hear one. It ain't in the file.

Frank sent me the actual midi file he used for the shoot-out. Yep, there's guiro events in it. One long, two short.

Diki...you owe Yamaha an apology.

For what it's worth, here is that midi file played through the Edirol SD-90, didn't touch a thing, recorded with Sound Forge 7, converted to 256K mp3.
http://134.84.113.36/music/sway.mp3

And finally, Dave, I spent over an hour last night learning and tweaking the effects section on my own keyboard to get just the right synth sound for Styx's Fooling Yourself. Plus, I practiced the beginning solo enough to where I think I can play it live.

We're okay then......

-mike

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online