SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#264916 - 05/28/09 01:32 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Ian... there isn't SUPPOSED to be a guiro... The G70 has a good one, it is just Yamaha's f*ckup that you can hear one. It ain't in the file. Even when Yamaha get it wrong, you still think they are right, don'tcha? (Nice try, no banana!)

Point is, it's not SUPPOSED to sound great when you play an old MIDI file into it... it's supposed to sound like what the writer made it sound like. THEN you are supposed to easily make your own adjustments. To what YOU like, not what the factory MAKES you have to like. The Audya, for instance, can't make any adjustments at all, hardly, in OS2 version. PSR's and Tyros have to have a computer and external, third party software to make much adjustment. All the rest make doing this simple task an ordeal compared to the G70. And it is a task you HAVE to do to each and every SMF if you want it to sound its' best.

Overall, listen again to Fran's FIRST, lightly edited version. For an over four year old, discontinued model that you have little respect for, I think it holds up VERY well, and compared to the Audya, $1500 MORE than it's original street price, it makes the Audya look like an overpriced boondoggle.

#264917 - 05/28/09 01:45 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Guys, I don't hear what you guys hear..

My first G70 version, sounds more realistic, and live compared to Korg, Audya and Tyros....I will stay with my G70 version..

#264918 - 05/28/09 02:04 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Ian... there isn't SUPPOSED to be a guiro... The G70 has a good one, it is just Yamaha's f*ckup that you can hear one. (Nice try, no banana!)

Overall, listen again to Fran's FIRST, lightly edited version. For an over four year old, discontinued model that you have little respect for, I think it holds up VERY well, and compared to the Audya, $1500 MORE than it's original street price, it makes the Audya look like an overpriced boondoggle.

No, my friend, you mean nice try, no güiro?

Well, I did say the G70 was tied with the PA2XPro, and tied for third place amongst these TOTL arrangers is no shame.

It was Fran's idea to pit the G70 against three newer keyboards.

I'm just giving my opinion on how it sounds compared to the other three when playing an SMF....no doubt it does have some great features that still hold up well today, but Frank was not comparing features in this thread.

#264919 - 05/28/09 02:06 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Tyros 3 BIG++

Impuls

#264920 - 05/28/09 02:13 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
Fran Carango Offline

http://www.yousendit.com/download/MnFqYURPUzdiV3lGa1E9PQ

Here is a mystery guest version...And Ian ..I don't believe guiro were intended to be used in the sequence,,,

#264921 - 05/28/09 02:16 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
But the whole point was to see unexpurgated SMF play. I don't think Frank had to tweak the Ketron, Yamaha and Korg at all...

If all you are trying to compare is basic file play, keep it level, Fran!

I'm FAR more interested in the 'three minute test' myself, as that is far more in line with how we ACTUALLY use our arrangers... or at least, I hope it is

#264922 - 05/28/09 02:16 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
Fran Carango Offline

BTW: the sequence that I have is using a "standard" drum kit and a "brush" drum kit..Maybe this is the difference ...Frank may have another drum variation...I doubt it though...

#264923 - 05/28/09 02:50 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Well this sound totally different then the midifile from yesterday.

1 Tyros 3
2 Audya
3 Korg pa2xpro
4 Roland g70

[This message has been edited by FransN (edited 05-28-2009).]

#264924 - 05/28/09 03:23 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I was under the understanding that this was a comparison using an unedited SMF.

And yes guys, Roland's Make-up Tools are pretty fast, but Yamaha and Korg aren't that much harder...so it takes a few more minutes...I could easily change an SMF at a gig, and so could anyone else familiar with the protocol.

In a perfect world we would all be using Make-up Tools a la Roland.

All our conversations would centre around the Make-up Tools and how, if there were other kinds, they would never be the equal of our beloved Make-up Tools.

Synth Zone would be renamed Roland Make-up Tools.com. In the Talk Forum, you would continue to be referred to as Fran and Diki ("The Chosen Ones"), while the rest of us would merely tack on numbers to reflect our lower standing in arranger society (i.e. I might be 10-19,862,916). All of us would pay the same price for the same keyboard except you... yours would be a little bit nicer, with a wee better sound...of course, we would all know yours cost the most, too (or you got a better price). :P

Unfortunately, the world is far from perfect...and we have to slog along with our crippled old SMF editing...strange thing is, I don't hear or see any complaints about our (Korg, Yamaha) systems on any forums, except by you Rolanders...

Come on guys...being tied for 3rd place in such distinguished company isn't that bad.

And, of course, take my post in the spirit which it was given...with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

#264925 - 05/28/09 04:03 PM Re: New midi comparison with Audya/Tyros3/Pa2xpro
Fran Carango Offline

The "poll" that counts is mine....and I won....

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online