SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#264803 - 06/06/09 01:01 AM Re: Wersi Pegasus Wings
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The greatest sound, tied to a keyboard that the form factor prevents you from playing it well is no better than a great panel layout on an arranger that sounds like poo.

Arrangers are meant to be played, LIVE. Where the buttons are, whether you can easily get to them while still playing is critical. The best sound in the world won't make up for changes missed, timing ruined, and fills and variations in at odd times, because your LH has to travel MUCH further than any other arranger makes you to do basic operation of the start/stop/fill/variation/into/ending buttons.

#264804 - 06/06/09 01:02 AM Re: Wersi Pegasus Wings
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Its first public showing is at the Wersi Summerfest that is on this weekend, (Don’t know where you got the June 1st from) so expect details to emerge sometime next week after the festival.
For those in the US the Bill Horn Dutchland Show http://www.billhornproductions.com/conventions.htm starts on the 14th in Pennsylvania, and as Wersi are there, you will probably find that they will bring the Pegasus Wing with them.
As to the instrument itself, I hope that there are no legacy sounds or styles included (The biggest downer with OAS 7) so it can be fully up to date. (So long as legacy sounds and styles can be loaded, it shouldn’t upset any existing Wersi owners)
In addition it will probably come as standard with the OAA, (One of the most advanced arranger software out there) which means there is no excuse for bad styles, (Unlike the antiquated Style system of OAS 7) however if there are any styles that you don’t like, you should also be able to directly play Yamaha styles (Including Megavoice styles) which since its inception in 2007 has come on in leaps and bounds.

Prices
The site says up to €4000 so it may depend on the hardware you choose, however if we assume the marketing guys level of €3999 inc Tax it should give you a rough idea, and for comparison purposes I have used the German Google Product Search http://www.google.de/products to compare prices using the same tax system.

Ketron Audya €4190
Korg PA2x €2999
Orla GT8000 €3950
Roland E80 €2599 (Roland have recently reduced their E series prices, so that the E80 now competes with PA800, Ketron SD5 levels)
Wersi Pegasus Wing €3999
Yamaha Tyros 3 €3849

Should be interesting
Fingers crossed that Wersi don’t cock this one up.
Regards

Bill

#264805 - 06/06/09 04:03 AM Re: Wersi Pegasus Wings
abacus Offline

The picture on the first page of Wersi.dk is apparently taken from the official flyer from Wersi.
Also according to reports, the Pegasus has no Hard Disk, but a 16GB SSD (Solid State Disk)

Bill

#264806 - 06/06/09 11:42 AM Re: Wersi Pegasus Wings
Bachus Offline

No hard disk is a downfall for this instrument...

Many top vstís stream directly from HD, and SSD is to slow for this kind of operation.

Keeps me wondering why they didn't invest the other 70 euro's to make it the perfect arranger...instead of just another compromis...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#264807 - 06/06/09 11:56 AM Re: Wersi Pegasus Wings
abacus Offline

Hi Bachus
SSD are more expensive then ordinary hard disks and a lot faster, (Hence the smaller capacity fitted) as an example in a recent test 1 SSD when tested was found to be faster then Twin Raptors (10.000 RPM) in a Raid Array.
Don’t confuse the modern SSD with the old limited capacity SSD in hardware arrangers.
If you don’t believe me, do a search for tests on the latest SSD. (And be prepared for a shock)
Regards

Bill

#264808 - 06/06/09 12:37 PM Re: Wersi Pegasus Wings
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Bachus
SSD are more expensive then ordinary hard disks and a lot faster, (Hence the smaller capacity fitted) as an example in a recent test 1 SSD when tested was found to be faster then Twin Raptors (10.000 RPM) in a Raid Array.
Don’t confuse the modern SSD with the old limited capacity SSD in hardware arrangers.
If you don’t believe me, do a search for tests on the latest SSD. (And be prepared for a shock)
Regards

Bill

I don't expect this to be faster than a HDD, I actually expect it to be slightly slower.

It's a 16GB SSD so it's very likely it's the same type that we see in Netbooks which operate in around 35MB/s Read, and 10MB/s Write for large files only, but are much slower on smaller files.

Makes no difference anyway to be honest. I would rather a SSD inside a musical instrument than a hard disk any day. Loud music and bass vibrations don't play nice with HHD's. So the SSD gets two thumbs up from me regardless of it's speed.

Regards
James.

#264809 - 06/06/09 12:40 PM Re: Wersi Pegasus Wings
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Hi Bachus
Regards

Bill

Current SSD's are still slower then Hard disks, next to that 16GB is not nearly enough for such a worlstation.

But i don't think they have a true SSD disk but ordinary Static RAM as we know from memmory sticks..

We will see whne they release their full specs...

#264810 - 06/06/09 01:17 PM Re: Wersi Pegasus Wings
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
One decent drum VSTi will obliterate that SSHD's 16GB. This is a cost adding (not cutting, because HD's are cheap) decision that might bite them in the arse...

With a V-Machine able to address that much memory from a stick and play VSTi's very capably (according to James) for about $699, a hardware keyboard with no better memory capabilities for $5000+ doesn't seem that great a deal...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 06-06-2009).]

#264811 - 06/06/09 11:10 PM Re: Wersi Pegasus Wings
Bachus Offline

Well, as long as its possible to upgrade to a bigger disk in the future, then no harm is done, in about a year there will be 250 GB fast SSD's for less then $200

Now I am wondering what parts of the high end Wersi's will be missing ?

How much memmory will there be,
how much CPU power,
Will it have OX7 module inside,
How many factory style (Appollo has only 100)
How many factory sounds (Appollo has only 228)

And what will it cost to upgrade the OAS to a full feautured OAS thats running on the Louvre and the other bigger brothers.

For Wersi the price is very sharp... its almost hot... so there has to be a catch beneed all of this, or they would not sell any of their other boards anymore.

[This message has been edited by Bachus (edited 06-06-2009).]

#264812 - 06/07/09 03:06 AM Re: Wersi Pegasus Wings
bill reed Offline

Loc: edinburgh
hi Diki
i have used a wersi spectra for many years and found the controls fall easy to hand. if anything the spectra organ was easer to use the the pegasus i now use.
i love the pull out volumes on the specta and see the have the same on the pegasus wing too.
this is great for adding or removing a second voice or acc. i sure Abacus would agree how easy his keyboard is to use.
i dont think it will be harder to use as an arranger compared to say the abacus keyboard.
look forward to seeeing more in the next few months.
cheers
bill

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online