SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 32 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 31 32 >
Topic Options
#264457 - 05/29/09 07:39 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think it's fair to at least acknowledge what is one's own contribution, and what is third party. Some of us use commercial Karaoke tracks in mp3 form. Do we really want to hear this? Then it's a singer's forum, not an arranger's forum, isn't it...? Even if an arranger is the mp3 player.

All of our arrangers can pump out a very good quality track to just about any song. How does this jam serve any purpose (other than to showcase singing talent) on an arranger forum if third party commercial SMF's can be used..?

I appreciate how others have made an effort for it to be arranger production, whether to make the track or fully 'live'. I just thought that others would feel the same way, keep the bar even, etc...?

#264458 - 05/29/09 07:57 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-30-2009).]

#264459 - 05/29/09 08:03 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-30-2009).]

#264460 - 05/29/09 08:22 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Retired Offline

Loc: England
Donny
[I will take down my song and forget this ever happened no prob]

Please don’t
Fred Wren

#264461 - 05/29/09 08:26 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-28-2009).]

#264462 - 05/29/09 08:44 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Diki Offline

Look, Donny, I use commercial SMF's (fairly stripped down, though) in my act, as well as arranger created SMF's, LH bass and just drums, whatever gets the job done, just like you. What I WON'T do is post a piece of work here that is third party and not acknowledge what is my contribution, and what is the track... that someone else played.

Your initial post just said an SMF. Nothing more. Post it, don't post it, your choice. I honestly care less even than you. But give credit where it is due. Or can I merely post a Harry Connick Jr. CD of the song, and claim it's me? Because that's a slippery slope, with outright miming at the bottom. Perhaps, to SOME people, that IS 'entertainment'. But it is nothing I would ever want to be associated with...

I am sure, with your talent and equipment, that you COULD have made a track at least equal to what you used, and no doubt considerably better. What is disappointing is that you didn't WANT to... even for a forum of arranger players. Everybody else seems to have had no problem understanding the SPIRIT of this jam. Don't use this as an excuse to go away and not participate. We all love your singing (me too!) and playing. Let's hear what YOU can do, not you and someone else...

Maybe, in my honor, you could do it as a cha-cha?! (I really AM joking )

#264463 - 05/29/09 08:50 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-28-2009).]

#264464 - 05/29/09 09:06 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Diki Offline

What contest?

Thought this was a jam.

Just curious, but if cassp had have stuck to his original idea, would you go all huffy and pouty at him, or is it just me?

Oh well, what the hell...

One, two, cha cha cha

#264465 - 05/29/09 09:07 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Let's review shall we?

Donny first says he won't participate, saying that its just going to be a pissing contest...Poo-poos the whole notion...

Diki seems interested in the concept...

Donny then posts a zinger pertaining to Diki contributing...

I cajole Donny for being negative and 19 minutes after he said he's not going to do it, voila! He's posted the first one. A terrific vocal that was praised by everyone who commented on it...

Except Diki, who wants a clarification on what's fair game as far as midi files go, he did state that he wasn't trying to take a shot at Donny, just wanting clarification...

St. Cass steps in and says, anything goes, to "let it go"...

Diki then announces he won't participate if it turns into a karaoke Jam...

St. Cass again steps in and says anything goes...

Diki restates his case, apparently ignoring Cass' rationale that the same 3rd party midi file in ten peoples hands can produce ten different versions of a tune...Diki has a point, but this isn't life or death...

Donny, home from his gig, reads everything and decides to send another zinger Diki's way...

Donny, for the umpteenth time, plays the drama card, takes his nice song down and goes off to pout...

Diki, lays out a reasonable comment about using 3rd party midis...and asks Donny to reconsider...

Donny says "contest over for me"...

What contest? Are there prizes?

Each takes turns as the provocateur. This is like a couple of kids fussing, isn't it? To be fair, Diki has seemed to take the higher road on this, although I'd suggest let's just see what rolls in. We all hear what's going on...I think in the end, the guys playing live over styles will be discernible from those using midi files. The guys playing home made midis will sound different from 3rd party files...

WE'LL ALL PROBABLY FIGURE THIS OUT, WON'T WE???

I genuinely think, no, I KNOW you both have a lot to offer in a project like this, and the forum in general, but its not likely to happen. If it does, the sniping, cheap shots and hissy fits will basically suck the joy out of whatever you guys contribute.

Donny, I'd like you to stay and show off your skills, which I enjoy. If its not for you, then maybe just staying away from the thread might be best.

Diki, I really want to hear more of your work. You have a level of technical understanding that blows 99% of the guys around here away. So what if some guys use 3rd party files? Most will acknowledge it up front, some won't, it doesn't matter...

This back and forth, IMO, decreases the chances that other, less established musicians will post their work, and THAT is the main problem...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#264466 - 05/29/09 10:15 PM Re: ANNOUNCING the first SZ eJAM
Diki Offline

I take your points to heart, Bill. Pretty decent analysis of the whole flow so far... (heavy flow, too! )

OK, I'm back in... Got inspired by listening to Norah Jones' inspired minimalist version of 'The Nearness of You' on 'Come Away with Me'. Arranger, schmanger... that's REAL music there! Doubt I'll go the same route (got to show off my G70, haven't I? ) but it sure makes a connection to my soul...

Hmmmm.... Hey, maybe I could take her CD version, and overdub some strings, saxes and an upright bass player? That would count, wouldn't it? (OK, OK You KNEW I couldn't leave without some kind of joke, didn't you? )

Page 4 of 32 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 31 32 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online