SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >
Topic Options
#264248 - 05/26/09 05:36 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Hammer,
Can I assume that you did not experience the Bass sound drop off that Fran desribed?
Ciao,
Jerry

#264249 - 05/26/09 05:36 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Dnj Offline

Jerry why not just try one yourself locally at GC or a Bose factory outlet...if you EQ your sound properly your should have no problem with the Bose Compact in small gig rooms as you mentioned...you really need to listen for your own personal needs like I did. I'll report back....good luck to you.

#264250 - 05/26/09 05:41 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry T:
Hammer,
Can I assume that you did not experience the Bass sound drop off that Fran desribed?
Ciao,
Jerry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV7dCG0-Imw&feature=channel_page

Jerry have you listened to this whole demo to the end...

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-26-2009).]

#264251 - 05/26/09 09:57 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry T:
Thanks for the reviews guys.
Donny, I'm looking forward to your post gig insights. I’d be interested in hearing if you get the same impression of the bass response that Fran got. I play in a couple small restaurants – about 120 seating capacity each – and I find that the Bose L1 with one B1 is a little too much. Also, I didn’t care for the L1 sound without the B1. I’ve been using one Barbetta for these smaller gigs, but even the Barbetta is a bit much for such close quarters with tables 3-4 feet in front of me. I’ve read several times what Fran observed – that the bass response weakens at 15-20 feet.
DonM, what’s the approximate size of your regular gig space?
Has anyone used a mixer other than the T-1 with the Bose Compact?
Ciao,
Jerry

Jerry, the room I regularly play seats about 100 people. It's rectangular and has a bar across one entire side. I suppose it's about 50 x 100 feet. Just guessing.
I regularly use a Peavey mixer. I've also used Yamaha and Behringer. I prefer the Peavey but they all work very well.
I can hear the bass, and of course the mids and highs, clearly throughout the room.
I often have tables within six feet of my speakers and they can have conversations yet the people seated in the back can still hear me clearly. It's ideal for this situation.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 05-26-2009).]

#264252 - 05/27/09 05:10 AM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Dnj Offline

Thanx Don.....
I've played that room at Earnests with you at the Shreveport LA jam...after hearing the Bose compact yesterday I would say it can cover it no problem & the clarity is astounding....with that said, nursing homes/ small size gigs/cocktail hours, coffee houses would be a cinch for sure....I'll have one here tomorrow.

#264253 - 05/27/09 12:38 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Went to the local Bose store a lunch break I found the Compact L1 very impressive to say the least. Hammer I can really understand when you talk the weight factor. That baby is light as are the columns. I picked the column up expecting the weight of the L1 classic. WRONG. It was more like the weight of a box of feathers.

While there I mentioned the Bose video Donny posted to the rep.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV7dCG0-Imw&feature=channel_page

After we watched it he said we have at other illusions in the store to demo our products. With that he took me to a another computer workstation setup and cranked up the companion 5 speakers for computers. While doing that he pointed to a couple of dummy speakers, then flipped a light switch in the dummies to reveal they were just dummy speakers. The real ones were below and very small.

He then demoed one of the Life Style home theater systems. In front of tiny wall mounted speakers were a couple of dummy cabs that stood 4 feet high by 6 inches wide. After he had me listen to the sound he pulled the dummy cabs away to reveal the small speakers. True example of selling the sizzle not the steak, nevertheless it was a nice way to spend my lunch hour.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 05-27-2009).]

#264254 - 05/27/09 01:14 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Dnj Offline

So Steve how many did you order?

#264255 - 05/27/09 01:19 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
So Steve how many did you order?

None today, but you never know.

#264256 - 05/27/09 01:29 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
None today, but you never know.

go for it

#264257 - 05/27/09 01:54 PM Re: BOSE L1 Compact the ULTIMATE NURSING HOME GIG Speaker?
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Jerry,

I have not experienced any dropoff of bass, mids, or highs at any of my gigs. I am using two of the compacts and that might make a difference.

I have also tried using a Mackie 402 mixer with my two compacts but did not feel it made much of a difference. Any fine tuning I needed to make I was able to do with the keyboard. The first time I used the mixer I thought I heard a difference but after a few more times I wasn't impressed with any help the mixer was adding. I returned the mixer today.

Hammer

Page 6 of 11 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online