SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#263677 - 05/18/09 11:55 AM Re: T3 in the hands of younger players
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
You're missing something Ian. That lack of internal style editing on the DJX really wasn't as much a show stopper as you'd think. It didn't take long before the di-hard midi techies got into the DJX and opened her up for software apps.

Not only that the DJX became a common side by side companion to di-hard MPC users who wanted a nice inexpensive groove keyboard to use with their samplers.

Roland did it too.., there was the really not so well known Roland EG-101.., that board was hard to find.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#263678 - 05/18/09 01:10 PM Re: T3 in the hands of younger players
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
You're missing something Ian. That lack of internal style editing on the DJX really wasn't as much a show stopper as you'd think. It didn't take long before the di-hard midi techies got into the DJX and opened her up for software apps.

Not only that the DJX became a common side by side companion to di-hard MPC users who wanted a nice inexpensive groove keyboard to use with their samplers.

Roland did it too.., there was the really not so well known Roland EG-101.., that board was hard to find.

I understand what you're saying, Squeak, but I would wonder just how many DJX users were owned by "die-hard midi techies"...sort of like, how many S900 users are die-hard pro players?

I can only give my own experience with selling them...the biggest request were for more styles of the same quality...it may have been different in other regions.

I also sold quite a few Roland DJ-70 Mk II's which proved very popular.

Several of the DJX's I sold were used "live" by DJ's in conjunction with the rest of their rigs.

It was quite a bang for the buck, and you're right, the on-board speakers were pretty good and they did have a bass booster.

You can still hear demos of the styles and sounds here: http://www.synthmania.com/djx.htm

A second hand one usually goes for $130-$150 when they come up for sale, which isn't too often, at least around here.

Ian

#263679 - 05/18/09 01:15 PM Re: T3 in the hands of younger players
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
There were a lot of di hard midi gurus who had DJX's. They were selling for $299 and that price was just too tempting for many. I belonged to several DJX forums (not up and running any more) and there were A LOT of midi gurus who had the DJX on those forums. I was even seeing in mags (showing personal studios) and the crazy thing is you'd see all this top end gear.., but there was lil o'l blue sitting there too

There was a surprising number of experienced players who bought the DJX solely because it was SO unique and damn cheap for what it did and how it sounded.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#263680 - 05/18/09 02:09 PM Re: T3 in the hands of younger players
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
There were a lot of di hard midi gurus who had DJX's. I belonged to several DJX forums (not up and running any more) and there were A LOT of midi gurus who had the DJX on those forums. I was even seeing in mags (showing personal studios) and the crazy thing is you'd see all this top end gear.., but there was lil o'l blue sitting there too

There was a surprising number of experienced players who bought the DJX solely because it was SO unique and damn cheap for what it did and how it sounded.

Yeah, I guess I should really take into account the regional differences with this sort of gear.

There is only a small community of users as you describe...my region is steeped in Celtic, Celtic Rock, Country, R&B and quite a bit of Jazz...even Karaoke was very slow getting here ...very traditional place, yet fairly broad in musical tastes, considering.

The DJX did sell very well, all the same...the users were almost an "underground" here, and it's only in the last decade, that "dance music" was an integral part of the scene.

Ian

#263681 - 05/19/09 02:50 AM Re: T3 in the hands of younger players
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
My idea of the most civilized place on the planet would be the LAST place that Karaoke caught on...

I would love to move there...

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online