SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#263606 - 05/15/09 10:24 PM Sax questions...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Gang-

1) A little while ago one of our members posted a video of him playing soprano sax to some tune which was very nice.

Anybody remember what the thread was titled?

2) I've posted a song on my website I would like a critique of the sax playing. Give a listen please: http://www.billcorfield.com/pf.wma

I hear a Sidney Bechet style but I personally prefer players like Branford Marsalis or even Kenny G over the Bechet style. I'm focusing on pleasantness of tone...

Feedback please...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 05-15-2009).]

#263607 - 05/16/09 04:19 AM Re: Sax questions...
Dnj Offline

If Im beong honest it sounds like a kazoo....& its obviously too slow for a Tango. sorry.

#263608 - 05/16/09 04:29 AM Re: Sax questions...
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I have to agree with Donny about the sound...it's a bit "pinched"; sort of a cross between a kazoo and an oboe...perhaps that was the effect that was intended.

The playing is actually quite good, but there are a few places where the notes sound a bit flat.

#263609 - 05/16/09 05:45 AM Re: Sax questions...
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Hi Bill – You might have been referring to a couple clips I put out here. I got a curvie soprano for Xmas and have been breaking it in – I posted two links to videos I made w/that horn. Here is the link to Rio De Janeiro Blue
http://www.saxyguy.com/uploads/Rio_Movie_Small.wmv

And here’s the link to Besame Mucho:
http://www.saxyguy.com/uploads/besame_Mucho.wmv

From my experience, the soprano is one of the most challenging saxes with respect to controlling the tone. The straight horns definitely play in tune much better (the bend in the curvie’s bell separates the keys and results in lower register always playing out of tune). Sounds like the guy who played the clip you posted may have been using a metal mouthpiece. If I use a metal mouthpiece on my straight soprano, I get a bit thinner and edgier sound. I’m using a hard rubber mouthpiece and a harder reed to try to get more of a mellow sound. But for all sax players, it is always a work in progress! The guy on your clip did a good job and you’re right – his sound reminds me of Sidney Bechet who is one of the forefathers of soprano playing. Grover Washington turned it all around and put the soprano in the R&B and smooth jazz mainstream.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#263610 - 05/16/09 06:10 AM Re: Sax questions...
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Bill - for FWIW, I wouldn't say it sounds like a kazoo, but it is definitely tinny. I had a sax man who had a soprano sax he could never get comfortable with and this sounds like the same sax - lol. Also, unless this was for demo purposes, I would suggest a different horn, as this sounds very oboe-like and I feel the solo deserves a little more body. I know nothing about style and have no critique regarding the playing- it was OK for me.

#263611 - 05/16/09 06:36 AM Re: Sax questions...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
If Im beong honest it sounds like a kazoo....& its obviously too slow for a Tango. sorry.

I expect you to be honest Donny.

As far as the tempo goes, Donny, your understanding of ballroom tempos must be different than mine. Fact of the matter is this tune was requested by a group of dancers from the Dayton Ballroom Association years ago at the exact tempo you hear on the recording. Every time we perform it the floor is packed. You also made mention of my tempo on Tennessee Waltz a few months ago, that it was too slow. It wasn't.

There are, I think regional differences in preferred dance tempos. The tempo of choice in NY metro may very likely be different than the one in Shreveport. Or the one in Pasadena or the one in Spider Breath, Utah.

Don't forget, Dayton is in the Midwest, so Country music here is huge and apparently these older ballroomers prefer an slower approach to tempos. I'm not playing for competitive ballroom dancers, who have their own set of tempos.

So, its not OBVIOUSLY too slow for anything. There's more than one right tempo for most dance styles...

BTW, Patty thought it sounded like a kazoo as well, lol...

Cheers,

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#263612 - 05/16/09 06:41 AM Re: Sax questions...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
I expect you to be honest Donny.

Thank you there is not enough of it here on the SZ. NOT being honest actually makes things worse not better. There are tempo standards in professional ballroom dancing & they must be adhered to.
http://www.dancemetonight.com/dc_tempos1.htm

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-16-2009).]

#263613 - 05/16/09 07:24 AM Re: Sax questions...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Thank you there is not enough of it here on the SZ. NOT being honest actually makes things worse not better. There are tempo standards in professional ballroom dancing & they must be adhered to.
http://www.dancemetonight.com/dc_tempos1.htm
[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-16-2009).]

You just can't help yourself, can you?

Do you not read what I write? I'm not playing for professional ballroom dancers. I'm not hired for ballroom competitions. I'm playing for mostly dances that cater to crowds aged 50+, where the older attendees often just gently, slowly stroll around the floor with each other. Its sweet. Its romantic. Its great...

The local ballroom groups do have desired tempos, which when communicated to us, we provide. Are these groups professional? I doubt they're sponsored or competing in competitions, but I don't really know.

Honest to god, man...stop it with the "THIS is how XXXX must be...ANYTHING else is wrong!" crap...

You have a high knowledge level, you've got gobs of experience and plenty of talent. NO one, least of all me, questions that.

All due respect, do you have a clue how you come across to others who aren't from your neck of the woods?

Let me add this. So help me if you respond with something like, "Well, its clear to me some people really don't want honesty" or delete your posts in this thread, so help me I will drive to your house and hit you with my L1...(Just kidding!)

Jeez!

(I've hijacked my own thread, unreal!)

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 05-16-2009).]

#263614 - 05/16/09 08:27 AM Re: Sax questions...
Dnj Offline

Bill sorry to get all your feathers ruffled...your way to sensitive to criticism. There is just to much BS on the SZ regarding critique & many times people will say things just to be nice instead of saying what they really feel which in turn benefits everyone even if it hurts a bit. Or on the other hand they will listen and wont post anything which sometimes is worse.
Right or wrong you sound like you enjoy what your doing musically & you can't ask for more then that. I'm really a very nice guy but I just have to say it like it is.
Take care I'm off to a BBQ gig & then a Dinner & dance tonight...

l8tr

#263615 - 05/16/09 09:15 AM Re: Sax questions...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Bill sorry to get all your feathers ruffled...your way to sensitive to criticism. There is just to much BS on the SZ regarding critique & many times people will say things just to be nice instead of saying what they really feel which in turn benefits everyone even if it hurts a bit. Or on the other hand they will listen and wont post anything which sometimes is worse.
Right or wrong you sound like you enjoy what your doing musically & you can't ask for more then that. I'm really a very nice guy but I just have to say it like it is.
Take care I'm off to a BBQ gig & then a Dinner & dance tonight...

l8tr

I don't think I'm too sensitive to criticism. When I put up my new website and directed people to my demo page, there were comments across the spectrum from loving it to disliking it. I don't recall any hissy fits on my part. I just appreciated the feedback...

I did not ask for any comments on the tempo did I? Yet you felt compelled to go off topic and post a criticism. You do this alot and its rude. It diverts attention away from what I wanted this thread to be about.

Its amazing to me that you've designated yourself as the official truth-teller on this forum.

Yes, I do love what I do. I'm incredibly fortunate to be making the living I have been, have a waiting list for clients and honestly love to go to work...

We really need to have a beer someday, pal...

Enjoy your Saturday-Sounds like a fun day...

Cheers...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online