SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#262723 - 05/23/09 12:24 AM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Strange, they specifically say it can't....

Hmmmm..........

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#262724 - 05/23/09 12:26 AM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Have a look at the manual available from that link...its near the end...sorry middle page 13...

Rear panel outputs
1⁄4-inch output – Mono analog output that accepts either 1⁄4 inch TRS balanced or
TS unbalanced cables. Can be used to link multiple L1® Compact systems together
by connecting the 1⁄4-inch output from one L1® Compact system to the 1⁄4-inch input
(Channel 2) on a second L1® Compact system. This will provide additional coverage
in larger spaces. You can also use the 1⁄4-inch output to connect to a house PA
system and use the L1® Compact system as your personal monitor.

Just to save time, this is the par I am referring to. Its not perfect but it could allow via a x-over an additional amp.

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 05-23-2009).]

#262725 - 05/23/09 12:34 AM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
miden Offline

I know the latest Yamaha series power amps have built-in hp and lp filters, not exactly a perfect x-ver but they do work. So a possible setup could be, a pair of the compacts, run the line out from one to the external amp and another dedicated sub box...would be a pretty good system.

My contact at Bose reckons the actual RMS of the compact is about 100-115w rms give or take, so a pair of them gives you about 230 (and thats Bose rms so its pretty efficient) and then add 450wats of sub..could be a nice system .

They hit Australia in June btw...he reckons (but dont hold him to it ) around $1400 each.

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 05-23-2009).]

#262726 - 05/23/09 12:38 AM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
hellboy44 Offline

So what they SHOULD say is:

"The system does not (OFFICIALLY) support adding additional bass modules."

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#262727 - 05/23/09 06:11 AM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
It amazes me how many folks on this forum profess to be experts about equipment they only read about and have no actual hands on experience with.

Read my previous posts - the two compacts perform quite well under the conditions I have outlined so far which is moderate size rooms ranging from 40 by 40 up to about 75 by 150 (sq.ft.) with an audience that is rather quite. I would not use the compacts for dance club like envirenments nor would I use it outside unless the coverage area was small.

If my main gigs included hip hop, dance, trance or any of the other hard bass driven music I would not use the Compacts - regardless of how many additional bass units you wanted to add.

So far In my experience with the Compact it has produced a considerable amount of bass - enough that I retweaked my Tyros 3 EQ for use with the Compacts.

I have not tried tying my two compacts together using the builtin line outs on the back of the speakers so I can't speak to that setup - might try that this weekend and see what happens. I did add a mixer to the setup and have posted that result above.

Later,
hammer

#262728 - 05/23/09 06:19 AM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
It amazes me how many folks on this forum profess to be experts about equipment they only read about and have no actual hands on experience with.

Dean nothing new there....

BTW thanx for all your Spot On L1 Compact reviews its appreciated.

#262729 - 05/23/09 06:46 AM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
hellboy44 Offline

Quote:

Read my previous posts - the two compacts perform quite well under the conditions I have outlined so far which is moderate size rooms ranging from 40 by 40 up to about 75 by 150 (sq.ft.) with an audience that is rather quite. I would not use the compacts for dance club like envirenments nor would I use it outside unless the coverage area was small.

If my main gigs included hip hop, dance, trance or any of the other hard bass driven music I would not use the Compacts - regardless of how many additional bass units you wanted to add.

Hammer, I never professed to be an expert on the compact (if you're referring to me and my recent post - which I can only assume you are) it amazes ME how people can read things into a post that is merely trying to be constructive and helpful.

I don't appreciate what you said.

(Re-read my post - slowly, and you will see my point)

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#262730 - 05/23/09 02:51 PM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
miden Offline

Quote:

What a ridiculous thing to say, especially when as far as I can see no-one has done that.

They have either simply quoted people FAR more knowledgeable than you on the subject of Bose, or from written specifications in a Bose manual. You do not need to "physically" use something to gain that information.

We call that "reading" and "listening". You should try it sometime, you may be surprised at what you learn.

We do not get the luxuries you Americans get, we don't get 45 day money back deals with ANYTHING.. We can only try in a shop (hardly "live" conditions) or just buy it WITHOUT any chance of refund.

So before berating people for trying to get as much verbal and written information before buying a product, you should perhaps "walk a mile in their shoes".

#262731 - 05/23/09 03:02 PM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
My contact at Bose reckons the actual RMS of the compact is about 100-115w rms give or take,

So you are paying a grand for a hundred watt PA?

Jeez, I got more power than that going to ONE woofer in my studio nearfields And I wouldn't use THEM on a gig...

#262732 - 05/23/09 03:07 PM Re: First Report on My New Bose L1 Compact
miden Offline

Ha, no not a grand... $1400 (its our dollar version remember) But I never said I was going to buy them ...

To be fair to Bose they are very conservative with RMS figures, and they use the Pink Noise generation for calculating, so 115w for Bose is probably more like 130 in other brands.

But $1400 isn't that much really. Just look at the cost of a decent 120 watt power amp...then add a mixer, cables speakers..It soon adds up to more than $1400. Thats Oz dollars, you know the Pacific Peso!!!

Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online