SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#262511 - 05/03/09 10:47 PM MIDI with Live Band?
TP123 Offline

Loc: Fla. / Nashville
We've been playing with with a KB, guitar and bass and for some clubs we need to add a drummer for some clubs...

We want to keep the MIDI sequences for the great horns and synth parts.

Has anyone done this? Pitfalls? advice?

#262512 - 05/03/09 11:50 PM Re: MIDI with Live Band?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
You shouldn't really have any problems especially as you don't have a drummer and will be using the MIDI drums as your timekeeper.

My band actually does this for for two songs we play that have a lot of machine like pulsing electronic dance synth parts ( Hella Good ( Gwen Stefani ) and Get This Party Started ( Pink ). We actually have a live drummer so the only tricky thing for us is to make sure they have a click track that he can use to follow or else it would all fall apart. We simply have a strong steady hi hat track that plays through. The audience don't notice it mixed in with the drums but the drummer can hear it clearly.

Because you don't have a drummer is should be very easy for you guys just to play along with the sequences. The only thing would be if there were long gaps with no drums or instrument to provide a count that would make it difficult to rejoin the sequence dead on time when it starts back up. In those cases I would recommend putting in a least some sort of hi hat or percussive track to provide a count. It wouldn't have to be obvious but just enough to keep you guys in time with the sequence and the audience really wouldn't care.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 05-03-2009).]

#262513 - 05/03/09 11:56 PM Re: MIDI with Live Band?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Two things. First, you have to find a drummer tight enough to play well with a click. Far fewer can actually do it than SAY they can do it.

Then your gear has to have a click out, and the drummer has to use headphones (looks dorky) or in-ear monitors. Trying to play to the track without the click mixed in is a recipe for disaster.

Sadly, at the club level, there are few drummers that can stay tight and locked to a track and click. This takes studio drummer skills. And not too many of them are much into club gigs unless VERY well paid. It only takes a bit of slop, a moment's inattention, and you have at best a really poor pocket to dance and play to, and at worst a train wreck...

Lastly, real drummers have a HUGE dynamic range compared to MIDI tracks. The tendency is to start to get a little frisky, and the next thing you know, your carefully mixed tracks are an inaudible, distant noise. I rarely EVER see MIDI acts (or karaoke MP3 acts) with live drummers that the keyboard track parts are loud enough. Maybe at the START of the set, but by the time a few songs have gone by, kiss them goodnight!

Now, don't get me wrong... it CAN be done. But personally, I wouldn't go with any drummer that hadn't already done CONSIDERABLE work in this format before. There are just too many things that can go wrong....

#262514 - 05/03/09 11:58 PM Re: MIDI with Live Band?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, Nigel... did you notice they said they wanted to ADD a drummer, not play with sequences that had drums in them...?

#262515 - 05/04/09 12:57 AM Re: MIDI with Live Band?
TP123 Offline

Thanks very much...

Yes we have _added a drummer_ and can do it as a 4 piece

without KB its just I'll miss the horn parts and/or we'll need to drasticlly revamp the set list.

#262516 - 05/04/09 02:56 AM Re: MIDI with Live Band?
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Sorry, Nigel... did you notice they said they wanted to ADD a drummer, not play with sequences that had drums in them...?

Oops, oh yeah, I was thinking they just wanted to add drums rather than a live drummer. Well then they have just the same situation as my band does playing to MIDI files. Our drummer copes very well but you are right when you say it is not something all drummers are able to do easily. Basically they need a strong click track either in their drum monitor or headphones to keep them in time with the sequences. We do it using the drummer's monitor speakers. And because he plays a Roland VDrums kit the sound from his drumming doesn't drown out the click.

#262517 - 05/04/09 03:03 AM Re: MIDI with Live Band?
Tryggve Offline

Loc: Sweden
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TP123:
[B]Thanks very much...

Yes we have _added a drummer_ and can do it as a 4 piece
I play in a band with a
Bas drummer and KB.And a singer.
Most inportand is that you have a independent click,like the Tyros 3,had a PA2x but it did`nt workt out very well.
Sometime I`ll use the multipad fore a single
solo on one instrument,you have to record it. Even some intros. I only uses the comp-
part,not the bas and drums.Ět works fine.
//Tryggve

#262518 - 05/04/09 09:30 AM Re: MIDI with Live Band?
TP123 Offline

Can someone please 'splain' the whole click track thing?

Can a T1 generate a 'click track'?

Why not just keep the drums low until the drummer picks up the groove and go from there?

Most of all THANKS for reponding!

I think the next Synthzone Jam should be in Hawaii!

Allllllloha

#262519 - 05/04/09 11:47 AM Re: MIDI with Live Band?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I'm the keys half of a keys / drums / vocals duo. We use a lot of midi backing tracks for modern up-tempo stuff, because that gives us the sound people expect. All midi tracks are carefully edited (by me) to leave space for "live" keys and drums, we are not in the karaoke business!

There is not a click track as such but there's usually something to latch onto.

Initially keeping to such strict tempo is very hard and hugely frustrating, but it can be done with discipline and practise. Note that taking a tune from rehearsal to proper live action will accentuate any slight deviations as the adrenaline takes over, so be doubly careful!

I remember the first time I tried to play to a sequenced backing track, I was astonished to discover that my ability to keep to a strict tempo was total pants, given that I was telling the drummer off for excessive drifting!

You may find it necessary to adjust the tempo tracks to allow more give and take within a tune.

Good luck!

#262520 - 05/04/09 01:04 PM Re: MIDI with Live Band?
TP123 Offline

Great points... I can adjust tempo and volume on the fly...

but from talking with others it seem that some drummers can do it and some can't...

I was thinking he could just hear the drums I've already laid down and play over the top of them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online