SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#262424 - 05/05/09 06:54 PM Re: Audya has landed (finally...)
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
OOTB, the G70 I agree is not the most polished of arrangers when it comes to the styles. But it has, BY FAR, the easiest way of editing them, and fixing them to your own tastes, and a huge selection of legacy styles that are easy to revoice to use the new sounds.

The things that make it my #1 choice STILL, despite four years of potential catchup by the other manufacturers are the stellar piano (and great 76 action to be able to use it), B3 and drum sounds, which, at least for me, makes the great styles on other arrangers moot. If they don't have the meat and potato sounds down cold, what's the POINT of great styles?

Let me add, I do probably as much live band work as machine stuff these days, so those primary sounds, piano, e. piano, organ, brass, strings and synth need to be able to hold up to a live section, not just the washed out drums that most arrangers have.

Yes, the G70 won't wow you out of the box... But if you decide that it's basic sounds are your cup of tea, at least they provide the easy to use tools to redo the styles how you want them... If I owned any other make of arranger right now, I would be SCREAMING at the manufacturer to take a look at how easy Roland make editing, and add it to what I would own.

They really ARE that much better...

#262425 - 05/05/09 08:56 PM Re: Audya has landed (finally...)
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Tryggve:
Simple! If you don't like it, don't buy it.
vote with your wallet.

Well, I don't know what you have to pay in Sweden, but here
in Norway the "offer price" is Kr. 50950,- US$ 7749 !!
The "full price" is Kr. 59950,- US$ 9117 !!!!!!
Currency 1$ = 6.575 NKr.
So you see, it's not only a "wallet issue" .... is it really
worth the big gap between the price gap when compare to the
T3 and a PA2XPro that you can buy for US$ 4800 at full price?

Cheers and Happy Playing
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#262426 - 05/06/09 01:06 AM Re: Audya has landed (finally...)
Tryggve Offline

Loc: Sweden
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gunnar Jonny:
[B] Well, I don't know what you have to pay in Sweden, but here
in Norway the "offer price" is Kr. 50950,- US$ 7749 !!
The "full price" is Kr. 59950,- US$ 9117 !!!!!!
Currency 1$ = 6.575 NKr.
So you see, it's not only a "wallet issue" .... is it really
worth the big gap between the price gap when compare to the
T3 and a PA2XPro that you can buy for US$ 4800 at full price?

Cheers and Happy Playing
GJ

I am gonna pay 43000:- SK for the Audya
I will have it in the middle of Jun.
Full price...????? whats that....there is only one price....that's what I pay.About the T3..I have one,great right hand sounds.
About the PA2x,had one for a year.Good arranger,Right sound...Neeeee.
Back to Audya. When you go to the store,you don't ask,what doe`s it cost,you ask what do I have to pay.
Love your country GJ been there maby 20 times. Heja Norge

#262427 - 05/06/09 08:18 AM Re: Audya has landed (finally...)
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Tryggve:
Full price...????? whats that....there is only one price....that's what I pay....
Love your country GJ been there maby 20 times. Heja Norge

Not bad to be a visitor in Sweden either

Full price is the listed price, and anyway, here, for some reason or another,
we have to pay 8.000,- more than you, and the Danish get it even cheeper, in
another post it say DKr 33.000,-
Who would think we live in the same corner of the world?
At 40.000 or less I would consider open wallet and buy.....

Hej då
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#262428 - 05/06/09 08:32 AM Re: Audya has landed (finally...)
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diki:
OOTB, But it has, BY FAR, the easiest way of editing them, and fixing them to your own tastes, and a huge selection of legacy styles that are easy to revoice to use the new sounds.

The things that make it my #1 choice STILL, despite four years of potential catchup by the other manufacturers are the stellar piano (and great 76 action to be able to use it), B3 and drum sounds, which, at least for me, makes the great styles on other arrangers moot. If they don't have the meat and potato sounds down cold, what's the POINT of great styles?

Let me add, I do probably as much live band work as machine stuff these days, so those primary sounds, piano, e. piano, organ, brass, strings and synth need to be able to hold up to a live section, not just the washed out drums that most arrangers have.

Yes, the G70 won't wow you out of the box... But if you decide that it's basic sounds are your cup of tea, at least they provide the easy to use tools to redo the styles how you want them... If I owned any other make of arranger right now, I would be SCREAMING at the manufacturer to take a look at how easy Roland make editing, and add it to what I would own.

They really ARE that much better...

/QUOTE]

Overwriting/tweaking styles out of the box is essentially the same navigation as most arranger companys. So I don't agree with the BY FAR comment. For me, personally, until Roland allows you to save styles to a hard drive or play styles from a hard drive they are behind Ketron.

We'll agree to disagree.

#262429 - 05/06/09 11:09 AM Re: Audya has landed (finally...)
Diki Online   content

Roland have allowed you to save your styles to the internal 50MB SSHD or to an up to 4GB Card since day one. Loading from these is instantaneous, no HD lag whatsoever, you can do it while another style is running and it loads seamlessly...

Because there are no MP3 facilities, that 4.5GB of storage allows for a HUGE collection of styles and SMF's, all of which are instantly available to the G70. No going to Disk pages first... the style DB simply presents them regardless of where they are, ROM, Internal or Card.

And there is a USB connection for connecting to a computer to back up and load in additional styles. No USB stick port, but I see little use for that. I load what I need (and tons I don't!) in advance and I'm good to go...

Not really sure where you got your info, Dan, but that one is dead wrong...

BTW, I've tried style and SMF editing on both Yamaha (which need external software before they have even HALF the capabilities that Roland do) and Korg, and neither of these is anywhere near as friendly, graphically simple to use and comprehensive as Roland's Makeup Tools and Style Composer sections are.

I haven't tried this on a Ketron, but from reading posts from frustrated Ketron users, I simply conclude the same... Point is, you never hear Roland users complain how difficult this task is. Yes, essentially the same things need to be done, but it is the STYLE that they do it in, the workflow and tool presentation that makes the difference.

I would be willing to do a head to head with any other arranger type any time.... start with a poor conversion translation, with wrong drum sounds, mismatched dynamics, bad Part balances and choice of less than the best sound selections, etc. (you KNOW how bad those translated styles can be!), and I bet I can turn it into a usable style in far less time than any other system.

Ask around here, other players that have used Roland's and other brands. Most times, even when they don't like the arranger itself, they have very kind words for the editing tools...

#262430 - 05/06/09 11:22 AM Re: Audya has landed (finally...)
leezone Offline

Roland's Make Up Tools , style editing, sound editing, FAR EXCEEDS anything ANY OTHER arranger manufacturer can provide.

exceeds in SIMPLICITY and VERSATILITY...

PERIOD.

G-70 owner, leezone

[This message has been edited by leezone (edited 05-06-2009).]

#262431 - 05/06/09 05:49 PM Re: Audya has landed (finally...)
Diki Online   content

Only disagreement with that, for honesty's sake, is the voice editing, Lee.

Roland's voice editing parameters are very barebones compared to most arrangers. However, having them all on the sliders under the correct parameter name on the screen (no offsets on Roland's between the parameter and the slider ) is very convenient and quick to adjust.

Plus, of course, on Roland's, there is no 'User Tone' bank, so you either have to use the Session Manager software, or recreate your favorite edits when you create the Registration (UPG). Every time...

Style and SMF editing, I don't see how you COULD improve the Roland's Makeup Tools much, but personally, I think Roland have a long way to go to catch up in the voice editing and storing department....

JMO....

#262432 - 05/06/09 06:27 PM Re: Audya has landed (finally...)
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Diki,

When you make edits to styles on SD1, they are transfered to the harddrive. No need to save to disk etc.. You have harddrive to store your styles , plus you can play the additional styles, directly from the harddrive. Midi midis are stored on harddrive,played from harddrive and you can edit songs while they play from the harddrive and save the song that has been edited, on the harddrive.
You can play your styles from your ram card & play your midi files from the ram card and you can edit your styles while they play from the ram card & play edit your midi filesin real time from the ram card... and that's good.
But I would still take the storage capabilities of a harddrive vs a ram card.

I guess that Roland is by far better with a ram card...

#262433 - 05/06/09 08:01 PM Re: Audya has landed (finally...)
Diki Online   content

I tell you what... after I've filled up 4.5GB with just styles and SMF's, I'll worry about it.

I tend to only carry what I can use. And offline back to the computer anything that can't be (lousy styles, bad translations, sucky SMF's, whatever). And I'll wager that there isn't anyone out there that regularly uses 4.5GB of just style and MIDI data. Sampler loads, MP3's, sure, they'll chew a drive up. But the G70 has neither.

The ROM styles, all nearly 300 of them, take up a paltry 18MB. I've got 4.5GB of storage. You do the math...

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online