SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#261475 - 04/22/09 12:53 PM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
even if 3% of 10 million buy her records , how much will she make ? she will probably get 3-7% in terms of royalties. The royalty rates granted in every recording contract are very low to start out with . Unfortunately the record company can then charge back every conceivable cost to the artist . Some of the costs tyhe artist is responsible for is recording costs, video production costs, radio and TV promotion, sales and marketing costs, travel costs, packaging and distribution costs and any other cost the record company can subtract from their royalties. If Mrs Boyle makes a clear $100000 from it tyhen she will have done very well but thats not life changeing money in a real way. She will make more if she does live performances but i dont see her holding too many peoples attention for a full two hour show ....do you ? I would love to know what she is getting paid for persoanl appearances and how much her record company and agents take for that. In some ways i feel i am not being totally impartial because thousands of wanna be's get signed every year to exploitative contracts that effectly turn them into record companies slaves, why should Mrs Boyle not get exploited too ?????

I gues because through all the hoopla i see a woman that simply wants to be admired and respected like Elaine Page for her voice and not the spectacle she has become.

#261476 - 04/22/09 02:26 PM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I agree completely, spalding...

I wonder how well at night "She-Bang Huang' sleeps, now that his fifteen minutes are over... Does he ever wonder if life might have been better in the long term if he HADN'T allowed himself to become a cocktail party punchline?

I simply hope this fine lady takes the ride with her eyes wide open, and keeps some dignity for later in life. I know some here tend to emphasize only the money she might (or might not) make, but for someone like her who has made music their life, whether with great success or not, there are MUCH more important considerations, IMO. Sell your 'soul' for a wad of cash (and trust me, that show virtually owns her soul for the promotion it provides) and you may easily find other values turn out to be much more important, finally.

But often (how many successful musician suicides do we have to see to realize this?) acknowledgment of this comes too late...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 04-22-2009).]

#261477 - 04/27/09 06:23 PM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
Dnj Offline

#261478 - 04/27/09 09:14 PM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
Retired Offline

Loc: England
Susan Boyle's story
'to be made into movie'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvand...into-movie.html

#261479 - 05/01/09 07:55 PM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
Dnj Offline

#261480 - 05/01/09 11:13 PM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
The guitarist needs to be shot, I dont know how she managed to keep singing with all the unecessary showboating that was going on. Credit to her though. she stuck to the task. Perverse as it seems , she is more marketable now as a midle aged full figured woman than she was back then. Says alot about society.

#261481 - 05/02/09 12:44 PM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Retired:
Susan Boyle's story
'to be made into movie'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvand...into-movie.html

She is a sensation for whatever reason and she will have a wonderful future if she can handle it. Of course she will have her critics....people love to tear down those who are successful if they don;t deem someone worthy. But the general public has spoken in large numbers and I wish her well. I love stories like hers, It gives those like her hope.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 05-02-2009).]
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#261482 - 05/02/09 04:18 PM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Her success is completely manufactured. She has been trying to make a career in music most of her life. Now Simon and his cronies have decided this is this year's 'Big Thing'...

And please don't tell me the 'public' has spoken. Sorry, but the public say what they are told to say. See what they are shown. Do what is expected of them. Baaaaa....

Think I'm being cynical? OK, explain that OTHER Idol 'sensation', She-Bang Huang...

I suppose, from the fact that he had his fifteen minutes, he MUST be a great and genuine talent too? I mean, how could we POSSIBLY argue with what the 'public' likes? Oh, might as well put Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian up in that pantheon, too...

I'm sorry, but the last few years have only shown us that ANYBODY can be made into a 'star', if only enough TV time is put behind them. Who knows, Kingfrog? Perhaps even you...

#261483 - 05/02/09 04:25 PM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
you have to undestand British news papers King frog. A source close to Simon Cowell ??? But not Simon Cowell....And who is the source???? Nobody.... And which major film companies want to make a story of her life ?????? Apparently they were not qouted either.....

Maybe american newspapers dont resort to 'making news up' . Unfortunately british papers do it all the time.....

#261484 - 05/02/09 04:57 PM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Who knows, Kingfrog? Perhaps even you...

Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online