SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#261465 - 04/21/09 02:59 PM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
mr9000 Offline

Yup of the highest order "fabrication" i smells too..

#261466 - 04/21/09 03:02 PM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
This is BS of the highest order and you guys are all better than this.

I appreciate all the support, but this 'baiting' has gone on for quite some considerable time...

Sadly, I am beginning to believe that perhaps these guys are NOT any better than this...

Time will tell.

#261467 - 04/21/09 03:14 PM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
I think the criticism of Diki in this entire thread is 1000% fabricated.

I think a few guys are going out of their way to pick a fight, where none really exists.

I agree 1000%, Bill.

Ian

#261468 - 04/21/09 08:01 PM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by spalding1968:
King Frog i dont think we are on the same page. I was responding to the point that i think DNJ made that she was signed to a major recording label which implied her automatic success. I pointed out quite correctly that this means nothing. You cant possibly be saying thats not true can you ??? As for her appealing to everyday people i disagree. She is a curiosity . If thats an appeal to everyman then fine i wont argue.

Taylor Hicks who won a previous American idol appealed to the ordinary everyday man but it takes more than that to make it as a successful recording artist as he has unfortunately found.

As far as the 20 million hits on youtube there are some basic facts about human nature that i dont think you have taken into account.

1. Viewing content on Youtube is free and instant. People like free stuff.
2. Feeling sorry for someone, sympathising with someone, wishing them the best or simple curiosity like watching the bearded lady at the circus (but for free) does not necessarily translate into purchases

Like you i have run my own business and i have provided consultancy services to small and medium sized business. One basic myth is that if you talk to lots of people or lots of people come into your store and look at your goods that will translate into sales. Thats simply not true. If Mrs Boyle were paid for the amount of hits her talent generated on youtube then your argument is sound however i wonder how many hits she would have had if people had to pay to listen to her music ?

Look i wish her well and i have no doubt that the curiosity around her will be and is being exploited by someone sufficient to make her some money but her success will not be based upon her singing talent. She may be simply graetful for the attention she is getting but when the "one trick" phenonm has lost its flavour which it will very quickly what will she have left ? I very much doubt that the money is the driving factor for this lady.

I think we are on the same page....She is a star by any stretch of the word; Whether sympathy, terrible vibrato, contrived "costume" great cutting of the You Tube Video for maximum effect....on and on..Her voice means little. The recording contract is real and I'm going to bet she has already had an agent who if he is worth his salt has received all of what he thinks he can get upfront.

Sustaining power is the key to ongoing success, Does she have that? I doubt it. But she doesn't NEED it. She has already accomplished what very very few do and at an age where even fewer do...In that regard alone she is remarkable.

Getting a recording contract is not what it used to be,,,....or never was really. No one gets the chances Billy Joel and the rest of his generation did. A few duds until a hit...
Today you HAVE to go platinum or even double Platinum to make any money....I'm betting MS Boyle will sell a million records easily. Her sophomore effort will be a lot tougher and I'm guessing she will not have sustaining power. But she doesn't need it.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#261469 - 04/22/09 12:11 AM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I dont think any one doubts she is remarkable but a "Star" ???? A star for what ??? Certainly agents will exploit the current intersts in her but like you said records have to sell at platinum and double platinum to generate real success. Will her records sell platinum or double platinum ? The Britains Got Talent show has some weeks left to run. Her "one Trick " is enthralling the first time you see it because it is completely unexpected and thats what has caused the excitement right now. What about the second time, third time fourth time.....Tjhe shock/suurprise value is spent. I watched the youtube clip just once....that was enough for me.

#261470 - 04/22/09 08:01 AM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by spalding1968:
I dont think any one doubts she is remarkable but a "Star" ???? A star for what ??? Certainly agents will exploit the current intersts in her but like you said records have to sell at platinum and double platinum to generate real success. Will her records sell platinum or double platinum ? The Britains Got Talent show has some weeks left to run. Her "one Trick " is enthralling the first time you see it because it is completely unexpected and thats what has caused the excitement right now. What about the second time, third time fourth time.....Tjhe shock/suurprise value is spent. I watched the youtube clip just once....that was enough for me.

Yeah I think she will sell a million pieces easily. tens of million were captured by her. I think 3% of all who saw her will buy a CD of her work....I really don't think thats a stretch. The marketing is already done.....and marketing is the key to any sales. You hear it over and over agin in the record business...."we were never marketed" "We were not marketed correctly" "There was no marketing budget"

Her marketing was free and the positive exposure she received and is still recieving is priceless. Her career may end before it begins but she HAS ONE and is set for life....gulfstreams and Castles...Nah. But she won't work another day and will sing to adoring audiences for as long as she is here.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#261471 - 04/22/09 08:19 AM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
As much as I thought she was a nice singer, I wouldn't buy one of her CDs.

Nothing exceptionally captivating about her voice, and she was just doing non-original tunes.

Just a minor flash in the pan, in my opinion.

Ian

#261472 - 04/22/09 08:53 AM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
Diki Offline

Anybody check out those American Idol participant contract articles? One would imagine that Simon's English show uses the same practice...

She might sell a fair number of CD's out of the gate, but basically, she has signed away at least half her stake in them. When the show's producers stand to gain so much by hyping flash in the pan acts such as this, is it surprising that this happens?

I can just imagine them sitting around a boardroom, going 'You remember that lighter salesman that sang like Pavarotti? What we need is some broad, maybe even plainer.... dress her frumpy, get her to sing some big Broadway showstopper, create a sensation. Sign her, make a crappy record... We will be shocked all the way to the bank!'

Cynical...? Sorry, guys, but to be honest, if you have any real experience with record companies, this is a fairly benign conjecture of how they think The truth is probably uglier

#261473 - 04/22/09 10:28 AM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
mr9000 Offline

Let's just say if Charolettes Church's CD is next to Boyles,i'll be purchasing Churches.

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 04-22-2009).]

#261474 - 04/22/09 10:46 AM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
Diki Offline

Let's just say that if you find EITHER of their CD's in a local store you'll be very lucky. Finding both?

Best of luck...

I have enough trouble finding CD's by established recording stars, nowadays. Plenty of Jonas Brothers, though!

Page 8 of 12 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online