SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12 >
Topic Options
#261435 - 04/17/09 07:32 PM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
Dnj Offline

Fred your very welcome, I'm glad your enjoying it also just like I did.

take care

dp

#261436 - 04/17/09 10:15 PM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Spalding, Diki, Semilive music...

You're more right with your spiel than others here.

There’s more to being a star than just singing a good song. Many factors come into play. I’ve backed up many a singer over the years. In the early days, I was amazed at the many who could come up and sound like superstars. Now, that I’ve been around the block a few times, I realize that’s ALL they had was a good voice. No timing, no phrasing (a la Frank Sinatra), no ability to remember words, no connection with an audience, sometimes no personality, and sometimes only able to sing ONE song really good…and the list goes on.

That’s the first thing I noticed about the lady was too much vibrato in the voice. When I was studying singing, my teacher used to point that out in opera singers. Many had “vibrato” they couldn’t control. Pretty in the beginning but it begins to get tiresome.

Her breathing was not correct enough to really belt out a song like Shirley Bassey. She had no breath control…the most important thing in proper vocalizing.

She also couldn't hit the low notes of that song. I’m not sure how much of a singing range she has.

She had absolutely no stage presence. Something like that you either have it or you don't. An audience can tell when one is "groomed" for the stage or is a natural. Al Jolson was a great example of stage presence.

I read the article on her in the paper today. She was “purposely attired in a frumpy dress." Now why would that be? Of course, to make for ultimate impact. Make her look one way, and let her sing the opposite. Now the money machine will move in and capitalize on their latest gimmick.

Watching the Youtube video, I believe the whole thing was faked from start to finish. They knew when to display Simon's pre-planned "surprise" expressions on his face (and the other judge's). They made it into a mini-documentary to use to leverage her into temporary big time.

There’s one more thing to be said here. She’s good, but not great. Yet, listeners are falling all over her. Years ago, she wouldn’t have even made a dent on the music scene with the many heavyweight female vocalists on the market at the time Shirley Bassey, Whitney Houston, Barbra Streisand, etc). This proves how bad today’s entertainment scene is. This lady who couldn’t hold a candle to the great ones of yesterday, is presently being hailed as the next Messiah!

Still, as others have said here, I wish her the best. She appears to be a sweet lady who didn’t ask for anything more than to sing a song on stage and dedicate it to her dead mother. She’ll have her 15 minutes (and more) of fame, make some bucks and go back home as a celebrity...and probably finally get kissed! But, it appears to me, it couldn’t have happened to a more genuine and humble person.

Again, I DO wish her the best

Lucky

[This message has been edited by Lucky2Bhere (edited 04-17-2009).]

#261437 - 04/18/09 05:40 AM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
Dnj Offline

I cant to buy her first CD should be a big hit for sure!

#261438 - 04/18/09 05:55 AM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
pasadoble Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, England.UK
Can anyone remember such a dramatic and instant worldwide rise to fame ever before? for all her excess vibrato and lack of stage presence she has something in her voice and demeanor that has touched people worldwide! over 30.000.000 people have watched the videos on Youtube now that is never been seen before...there are always going to be the 'negativity merchants' but I would suggest you wait until the first much demanded profesionally produced recordings come available before picking holes in her abilities ok.

#261439 - 04/18/09 09:05 AM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
mr9000 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
While pretty good at an amateur level, I'm sorry, but her voice didn't strike me as pro in any sense of the word. The vibrato was too forced, dynamics uneven to be honest, a pale shadow of how professional Paul Potts sounded. Does anyone think she deserves to share a stage with the likes of Celine Dion, Sarah Brightman etc.?

I think Boyle is very close to pro,but i have to agree,to much vocal vibrato going on,it gets old quickly for me.BUT she blew the panties off all other Britian wanna be's for me.I think her being numb to the inital public mockery reveals a lot of something she has attained over the years that is most definatly a total needed ingrediant to the music bizz.I mean there's just NO 'deer in the headlights'look of insecurity residing in her.But alas, a couple of steps&levels below the great miss Sara Brightman!However as for celine dion, she is on the same sharing stage with.Celion is painfully average for a pro.( Celion's my heart will go on is her only best for me,but even that is old and hard to live through lo this many repetative years now.She WILL follow the same exact level that,that guy who was discovered on the Oprah show some years ago(forgot his name though). But i must say Susan Boyle's voice slid from octave to octave beautifully!But Boo to the over did modulation on Larry King.

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 04-18-2009).]

[This message has been edited by mr9000 (edited 04-18-2009).]

#261440 - 04/18/09 11:20 AM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mr9000:
...She WILL follow the same exact level that,that guy who was discovered on the Oprah show some years ago(forgot his name though).

That guy was Josh Groban...

Its unlikely this woman will remotely approach Groban's success...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#261441 - 04/18/09 11:47 AM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
Look, I don't wish her anything but all the success in the world... and I'm sorry, oh mighty King, but bitterness has nothing to do with frank appraisal. To attempt to denigrate any negative commentary is the hight of arrogance. If YOU can't see past how contrived this whole thing was, maybe you've been on the wannabe circuit (oops, I meant celebrity impersonator circuit! ) too long.

American Idol, and it's European counterparts is ALL about contrivance. Is there anyone out there that doesn't feel the whole thing was manufactured? This is entertainment, disguising itself as revelation. Who has bought Paul Potts' CD? Didn't think so. When it comes down to making a REAL impact on the entertainment industry, you have to be the total package. Or some of us here would be in the big time now. Like Kingfrog, for example.

I hope she enjoys her moment in the sun, all the best to her. I hope that she makes the most of it, grabs as much loot as she can make, and is frugal with it. Because I wonder how much Huang is making per shopping mall opening he does, these days? 'She Bang, She Bang... She Saves at Wal-Mart!'

The Cult of Personality has rarely transformed into lasting success. Tiny Tim nonetheless...

#261442 - 04/18/09 11:56 AM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
For God's sake, you are comparing an amateur, incomplete singer with the likes of Whitney Houston and Sarah Brightman, and yet you manage to have a straight face?

And to be exact, you are comparing what Sarah Brightman and Whitney Houston are NOW, with someone who did not have the extensive (and expensive) coaching of the aforementioned two?

Sarah Brightman was married to Andrew Lloyd Webber, and the "Christine" role for the Phantom of the Opera was written EXCLUSIVELY for her voice! Imagine the training and the experience she had! I also would sound better if I was Andrew Lloyd Webber's wife for many years, and I am a 37 year old MAN!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Brightman#Music_and_voice

And what if your cousin was Dionne Warwick and your godmother was THE Aretha Franklin? And you are talented? Would you become a shoe salesman? No, you would become Whitney.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitney_Houston

#261443 - 04/18/09 12:16 PM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I think Diki and I are singing the same song for a change, lol...

She's a nice story...

She's probably a nice lady...

IMO, she is being used, mostly wittingly and should have the time of her life for a few months, maybe a few years.

Vocally, there's not much subtlety to her voice, her beginning/ending tone generations are crude at best and other than having a nice tone on the longer held notes, (which she can muscle up on) the rest of her appeal is in the very odd packaging of this voice.

These shows/contests seem rude to me and as many people are laughing at her as are laughing with her.

In ten or fifteen years time, it would be interesting to see if she A) Has good memories of this part of her life and B) Would she do it again?

Hopefully, things don't turn cruel for her...She seems to have a pretty piss & vinegar personality-which should help her...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#261444 - 04/18/09 12:40 PM Re: 47 year old woman on Britain's Got Talent
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
http://dir.salon.com/story/ent/feature/2002/09/18/idol_contract/index.html
http://legalcareers.about.com/b/2008/05/23/american-idols-recording-contract-is-david-cooked.htm

It's an old story, but still relevant. Don't believe for one minute that the bottom line of the show's creators isn't what is firmly on their minds.

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online