SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2611 - 11/06/03 03:16 PM Key Doesnt Work (On The Keyboard)
Vadim Offline

The key(B flat, in the second octave) doesnt work on my (Roland)keyboard,it works only if i strike it very hard, the keyboard is new i have it for about a year.Any one have any suggestions, how to fix it,or why it doesnt work?

#2612 - 11/06/03 06:32 PM Re: Key Doesnt Work (On The Keyboard)
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Sounds like a worn out or damaged key contact. You probably play your Roland a lot. That's good !
In any case, If I were you, I'd take your keyboard to the shop and let them repair it. It shouldn't cost much.

-ED-

#2613 - 11/07/03 11:34 AM Re: Key Doesnt Work (On The Keyboard)
Vadim Offline

Yeah I play Extremly alot, but i think it happend because my keyboard has a function called Aftertouch, it is when you strike the keys hard enough it will make a fill-in or other stuff , depens what you assign, and plus Roland made default setting for key velocity on High that makes me strike keys way to hard to if I want an aftertouch to work. Or maybe I was drumming alittle too hard.
But how much would a repair cost(aproximetly,about $50 or about $200 or $10)?

#2614 - 11/07/03 12:37 PM Re: Key Doesnt Work (On The Keyboard)
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Vadim. Check your Warrantee with your Roland distributor. In the UK Roland give 3 years.

Graham UK

#2615 - 11/07/03 01:39 PM Re: Key Doesnt Work (On The Keyboard)
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Our guy in Philly used to charge $35 per key to replace contacts. It's an easy job if you have the part, and you have the patience to open up the kb !

#2616 - 11/07/03 02:30 PM Re: Key Doesnt Work (On The Keyboard)
3351 Offline

Part+the job = $50 max.
But if you still have the warranty - you pay nothing. Just say that the key was acting funny from day one.

I just had like 3-4 keys replaced on my Korg 01/W FD. It only cost me about a $100 canadian (like $70 US).

PS
I don't mean to be kinda basic, but did you mean that you hit the key harder to get aftertouch going?
'Cause to get it going all you have to do is press the key gently after it's already down. If you already know that....
I always found Roland aftertouch (except the D50, JD800 and some XP boards) kinda stiff. You have to practically stand on the keyboard to get the aftertouch happening.

Good luck & keep playing!
-ED-

#2617 - 11/07/03 03:22 PM Re: Key Doesnt Work (On The Keyboard)
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Vadim, try to wiggle[sideways while depressing the key] the key gently, sometimes it is just slightly off centered. I fixed several Rolands this way over the years..Good luck..

#2618 - 11/10/03 12:12 PM Re: Key Doesnt Work (On The Keyboard)
Vadim Offline

I dont know about waranty, cause my friend bought it on ebay auction, he said he would give me all the paper stuff that came with it but than i forgot and him too, I`ll ask him some time if he still has it, but i have some kind of paper called Waranty Policy i think, from Roland, is that usefull?
What if i take the keyboard apart myself is that safe, like:would i damage anything?Before i took apart a casio but it didnt work well after(the display light was turnung off and sound too).

[This message has been edited by Vadim (edited 11-10-2003).]

#2619 - 11/10/03 03:37 PM Re: Key Doesnt Work (On The Keyboard)
Vadim Offline

And Fran, the key works only when I push it all the way i can to the left and push it, it works, but sometimes when I release it it sounds very loud, but this doesnt solve it because it is kind of hard to play on the keyboard and when i need to hit that key i`ll need to use two hands and its kinda hard, but thanks for your idea, I`ll try to wiglle it more maybe it will work.I tried sliding a plastic card between the keys, i felt some bumps(Resistors probably),but didn`t fix the key.
And dont forget guys its a black key, does it make a difference in fixing?
And also i couldnt find that waranty paper that i had.
And thanks (alot) for help, any more ideas?

#2620 - 11/10/03 03:45 PM Re: Key Doesnt Work (On The Keyboard)
3351 Offline

Hey Vadim,
I really can't answer those questions man.
I don't know what type of "warranty policy" you've got there and I don't know what exactly went wrong, when you were trying to fix your Casio.
. Simply take your keyboard to the shop and let them fix it,
They might even tell you if that warranty paper that you've got is valid (or not).
In a worse case scenario it would cost you like $50.00 to fix that key. But if the key is OK, and the key contact is warn out or damaged - it's like $25.00 to fix. (depending on how much of an asshole the repair guy is )

Oh, I had a similar situation with my JD800 (screwed up aftertouch strip) and I had no warranty papers. Roland tek simply looked at the serial number and it turned out that my warranty was still valid. I'm not sure if Roland still use their serial numbers to find out when the unit was made.

But really nothing can go wrong if you take your Roland to the shop. It's the safest way to do it. (Especially if you have a history of breaking Casios )

Best regards!

-ED-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online