SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#260992 - 04/04/09 09:57 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:

How insensitive and tasteless of both of you
... regardless of YOUR religious beliefs, the people who elect to receive Holy Communion are also receiving emotional and spiritual comfort ... and if the Priest happens to come in at the time you are playing, then SO BE IT ! ...
Perhaps a more fitting song would be "Amazing Grace" !!!

t.
[/B]

Hold on Tony...

Should the whole performance come to a halt out of respect for the person receiving Communion? What about the other attendees of the activity who might not be of the Catholic faith and don't want to have to wait until the Communion is finished?

Also, you don't know a damn thing about either one of our religious beliefs so get down off your high horse and relax.

The bottom line is its grossly mis-managed for a religious service to be administered in the middle of another, separate event. The situation as Larry described should never happen, period. Most of our activities occur in a dining room or a large group area. In many homes, there's a chapel that a resident who wanted Communion could be relocated to...or, what about their room?

As I said, what happened to Larry hasn't ever happened to me. BUT, I play 1-2 hymns a show and I always come back with something that you'd never expect afterwards. Tequila and In The Mood are two favorites that go over smashingly well.

If we were performing during a Church Service, then of course it would be different-

We're not stupid, lol...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#260993 - 04/04/09 10:21 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
How insensitive and tasteless of both of you
... regardless of [b]YOUR
religious beliefs, the people who elect to receive Holy Communion are also receiving emotional and spiritual comfort ... and if the Priest happens to come in at the time you are playing, then SO BE IT ! ...
Perhaps a more fitting song would be "Amazing Grace" !!!

t.

[/B]

Tony, I'm a big fan of yours, but I think your comment needs some tempering. First of all, it's insensitive for the priest to interrupt another event, even with Holy Communion. But I know many priests who, unfortunately, feel they are the only person in the world who matters, especially when doing their "job." I feel it is they who are disrespecting the Blessed Sacrament moreso than a performer. Secondly, if the priest feels he has no other option but to interrupt, I'm sure he understands the predicament he is putting himself, the patient and the performer into. Lastly, as a staunchly religious man (and 40 yrs a Catholic organist), I think if this was a rare occurence, I'd try to play something not quite of the "Hound Dog" genre right then. I'm sure that even if I had a setlist, I could/would work around the situation. I would discuss the event with the AD so as not to draw attention to any of the participants in either situation. I would rather have the nurses ask residents if they wanted to leave than feel uncomfortable playing 'rock' music during a solemn time - even for one patient.

A quick Amazing... or How Great... could be a real tension releaser for all.

#260994 - 04/04/09 10:25 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Hold on Tony...
Should the whole performance come to a halt out of respect for the person receiving Communion? What about the other attendees of the activity who might not be of the Catholic faith and don't want to have to wait until the Communion is finished?
Also, you don't know a damn thing about either one of our religious beliefs so get down off your high horse and relax.
The bottom line is its grossly mis-managed for a religious service to be administered in the middle of another, separate event. The situation as Larry described should never happen, period. Most of our activities occur in a dining room or a large group area. In many homes, there's a chapel that a resident who wanted Communion could be relocated to...or, what about their room?
As I said, what happened to Larry hasn't ever happened to me. BUT, I play 1-2 hymns a show and I always come back with something that you'd never expect afterwards. Tequila and In The Mood are two favorites that go over smashingly well.
If we were performing during a Church Service, then of course it would be different-
We're not stupid, lol...

Bill ... perhaps my 'knee jerk' response was a little too quick, BUT:
1) I never said your performance had to come to a halt or that others had to stop what they were doing... If the Priest wants to give Communion without disrupting your performance I don't see a problem with that...
2)If the staff wants to take people out to the Chapel for this, I don't see a problem with that either ...
3) And while you have every right to consider it disrespectful for your performance to be interrupted, I still think it is disrespectful to play a song like "You Ain't Nothin' But a Hound Dog" when it is in reference to ANY Minister/Priest/Rabbi or other representative of ANY religion - JMHO ...

On another note, have you ever heard "Amazing Grace" sung to the the tune of "House of the Rising Sun" ... certain kind of irony putting the two together

t.

PS To some it may be a 'high horse' attitude, but to me it is a sensitivity that grows as I get older ... just one of my many failings I guess ...
t.

#260995 - 04/04/09 10:35 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
Dnj Offline

It's amazing how every discussion ends in argument

#260996 - 04/04/09 11:34 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

You are so right. If a person's intent is to come to the forum looking to complain about something --- they can find it on any topic posted here.

Jerry

#260997 - 04/04/09 11:51 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

Just passionate discussion ... you know how passionate we arranger players are about EVERYTHING ...

t.

#260998 - 04/04/09 11:53 AM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Tony, I'm a big fan of yours, .....

You LIKE me ... you mean you LIKE me ?!?!? ... ...

t.

PS I think we are on the same track on this ...
t.

#260999 - 04/04/09 12:20 PM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Quote:
Bill ... perhaps my 'knee jerk' response was a little too quick, BUT:
1) I never said your performance had to come to a halt or that others had to stop what they were doing... If the Priest wants to give Communion without disrupting your performance I don't see a problem with that...
2)If the staff wants to take people out to the Chapel for this, I don't see a problem with that either ...
3) And while you have every right to consider it disrespectful for your performance to be interrupted, I still think it is disrespectful to play a song like "You Ain't Nothin' But a Hound Dog" when it is in reference to ANY Minister/Priest/Rabbi or other representative of ANY religion - JMHO ...

On another note, have you ever heard "Amazing Grace" sung to the the tune of "House of the Rising Sun" ... certain kind of irony putting the two together

t.

PS To some it may be a 'high horse' attitude, but to me it is a sensitivity that grows as I get older ... just one of my many failings I guess ...
t.

Tony -

I didn't interpret Larry's original post to mean he specifically played "Hound Dog" towards the priest. Rather, I took it more like he was ready to play a upbeat/rocker and that's what he was going to play regardless if the ceremony had occurred or not.

If he specifically picked that song just because the Priest was giving communion during the activity, then I'll just say No, I wouldn't endorse that at all.

But like I said, I play two hymns most every show...very respectively and I'm told with "the spirit" and then I'll follow it up with a tequila or in the mood or something. I'll usually say "now here's a song you almost never hear after "In The Garden" and if you do, I wanna know where you go to church!

A good time is had by all...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#261000 - 04/04/09 12:44 PM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
Beakybird Offline

I was pretty much joking around with the Hound Dog thing. I just carry on with my show in a normal manner.

Now I'm Jewish, so I don't do Amazing Grace unless it's requested.

This interruption for communion hasn't happened to anyone else?

Anyway, if I come across as sacrilegious, just know that there are limits to my irreverance.

Beakybird

#261001 - 04/04/09 12:45 PM Re: Senior care facilities and comments on annoyances
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Quote:
You LIKE me ... you mean you LIKE me ?!?!? ... ...

t.

PS I think we are on the same track on this ...
t.

Let's just say I agree we are on the same track on this one... lol

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online