#260920 - 04/03/09 04:05 AM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Impuls Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Recorded in a phone booth ?

Impuls

#260921 - 04/03/09 11:47 AM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Apparently the player is VERY shy ... or in a witness protection program ...
t.

#260922 - 04/03/09 12:14 PM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
And then you play that Technics KN7000 version of it and wonder why you spent that extra $30k for the Wersi...

If I had been ripped off that much by an organ salesman, I wouldn't want to show my face, either...

#260923 - 04/03/09 01:00 PM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
And then you play that Technics KN7000 version of it and wonder why you spent that extra $30k for the Wersi...

If I had been ripped off that much by an organ salesman, I wouldn't want to show my face, either...

Seems like you like to trash everything you can't afford...

Wersi is made for european ears, and i suppose they are different then US ears....when i weight those ears against your reaction, it seems european ears are by far superior to US ears...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#260924 - 04/03/09 01:21 PM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Diki Offline

Owning a G70 from it's initial release, and having payed about $3500 for the privilege, I feel I can comfortably critique ANY arranger out there in it's price ballpark, and compare it (and anything else I've heard) to that level. No offense, but that Wersi was hard pressed to sound good against an outdated Technics, let alone any TOTL modern arranger.

You can't possibly tell me that that piano impressed you at all? Didn't Europe used to MAKE Steinway's?

My ears were born and raised in Europe, and I was a full organ player in the sixties and seventies, and sold and demonstrated Thomases, Lowery's, Elka's and Hammonds, amongst many others. But, eventually, they grew up Along with technology, and musical tastes. Europe may still be the bastion of organ aficionados, but it still gets most of it's pop and jazz music from the States, at least the styles...

Jazz, blues, rock and roll, heavy rock, punk, disco, hiphop, rap, trance... you name it. All of these originated in the States. So much for our 'inferior' ears

But feel free to keep copying our music and playing it on outdated, 60's vintage sounds and instruments... Hey, why not go all the way, and just perform on harpsichords and clavichords? When behemoth seaside organs become contemporary music again, let me know. We'll talk again about my 'inferior' ears when the facts make it true...

#260925 - 04/03/09 01:27 PM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
I am maybe ashamed or uncomfortable but i gotta agree with Dikki on this one...only our opinion...

#260926 - 04/04/09 03:24 AM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
Diki not all ears are tuned to the type of music you mentioned.

Music and the type of instrument sounds are a matter of personal choice and your musical experiences, classical for an example in my case.

I for one enjoyed the rendition.

I admire your skill as as musician and your musical knowledge but I have to disagree with you on this one.

Cousin Ken

[This message has been edited by Caragabal (edited 04-04-2009).]

#260927 - 04/04/09 11:47 AM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Anonymous
Unregistered

For all this guff about European ears (WTF?), that piano voice would disgrace a £100 Casio. Seriously.

#260928 - 04/04/09 01:46 PM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Diki Offline

Thanks for noticing that, Seamaster...

Apparently, European ears CAN tell the difference between a great sound and a Wersi...

BTW, nothing 'wrong' with the rendition... anyone notice me commenting about that? Didn't think so. All I mention is how bad a Scala can sound, even compared to an outdated, no longer in production arranger. Doesn't mean someone else can't make it sound good. It's just that few amateurs manage it...

But then again, I imagine few elderly car lovers that buy a Bugatti Veyron are capable of turning in F1 lap time either.

The most expensive thing isn't necessarily the best for you...

#260929 - 04/04/09 03:14 PM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Wersi should reinvent themselves like Hammond did, post-Suzuki — and go back to developing instruments based on their great trademark analogue sound. Wersi's flagship organ should be a "new Saturn" à la the "new B3", rather than the comically woeful Scala. They should "stick to the knitting", as I believe the Americans say. Let's face it, they're hopelessly out of their depth trying to slug it out versus instruments like the Atelier and Electone that are cheaper, better manufactured, and several generations more up to date in features and voicing.

#260930 - 04/04/09 04:29 PM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Wersi should reinvent themselves like Hammond did, post-Suzuki — and go back to developing instruments based on their great trademark analogue sound. Wersi's flagship organ should be a "new Saturn" à la the "new B3", rather than the comically woeful Scala. They should "stick to the knitting", as I believe the Americans say. Let's face it, they're hopelessly out of their depth trying to slug it out versus instruments like the Atelier and Electone that are cheaper, better manufactured, and several generations more up to date in features and voicing.

Why would Wersi reinvent themselves when they already have the most advanced arranger/workstation available today? The factory sounds are as good as any TOTL arranger available today and in most cases better. If the factory sounds don't thrill you by all means load in some AKAI sounds, a few VST's, or sample some new sounds. You aren't stuck with the factory sounds, that's the entire point of an open ended instrument.

I also don't understand your comment about Wersi being poorly manufactured. Have you played an OAS instrument in person? I have an Abacus Duo Pro and if this is what you call poor build quality then the Yamaha's and Korg's are complete junk. Roland does have nice build quality on many of its higher end products although definitely not on par with the Wersi.

As for Roland and Yamaha having "more up to date features and voicing" I'd like for you to expound on that. Can either of these instruments load multi gigabyte third party samples or utilize VST's? Do either of them have the extensive real time controls the Wersi has? My Wersi has no less than 30 programmable sliders, about a hundred programmable buttons, and a touch screen with additional programmable features. This doesn't even include the pedal board or foot switches you can also program. That's hardly what I'd call short on features or "out of date". Perhaps you should know the instrument you are bashing before doing so.

So you've heard some poorly recorded demos here and there and that person happened to be playing a Wersi. I can't count the number of times I've heard poorly recorded demos online with people playing various brands of instruments but I don't blame the instrument for that. If someone can't play or they don't know how to properly engineer and produce a recording that's not the fault of the instrument or the manufacturer of that instrument.

#260931 - 04/04/09 05:58 PM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Diki Offline

Nothing intrinsically wrong with the Scala, just like most anything else... Something definitely wrong with the ears of many of it's players, though!

I mean, after all, what's the point of all that theoretical superiority over 'closed' arrangers, if you use sounds that are inferior? I guess when I REALLY need sounds a LOT better than my G70 in a live situation, I might have to look into a Mediastation, or Muse Receptor. Trouble is, right now, the ones already in just the basic ROM (don't even have an SRX card, yet) tend to blow away anything I've heard out of a Wersi, so far. And are keeping some of the pickiest ears very happy in the studio. And mine, too (even though I have quite a few good VSTi's)...

All without any of the complexity of running a VSTi rig live, or of course the weight penalty of a Scala

From what I have heard of user demos on the T3, G70, PA2 etc., despite some terrible ones, on the whole I think that most players can achieve at least a decent sound (better than most achieve on the Wersi's). And some of the better ones beggar the question... If a $3500 arranger can be made to sound THIS good, who on earth would spend $30k+ to sound only slightly (if at all) better?

I take the theory of diminishing returns pretty seriously...

#260932 - 04/04/09 06:52 PM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Nothing intrinsically wrong with the Scala, just like most anything else... Something definitely wrong with the ears of many of it's players, though!

Diki,

Why don't you just zip it until you actually play the instrument in person? I'm sure I'm not the only one on this forum who has grown tired of your bitter rhetoric towards products you don't own and haven't even played. For every one positive comment you've ever given you have 1000 negative comments that are sure to follow. Perhaps you thrive on negativity?

I own or have owned nearly every top of the line synth/keyboard/workstation both vintage and current and yet I still bought a Wersi. You must be on some really good drugs if you think for one second my ears aren't capable of hearing differences amongst all these instruments. Unlike you I can listen to these instruments side by side and form an opinion based upon actual use. Try it sometime. Until then why don't you just stop spewing venom.

#260933 - 04/04/09 11:13 PM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Diki Offline

Spewing venom?

Sorry, but your last post illustrates that FAR more than any comment of mine about Wersi.

Sorry you can't tell the difference. Shame.

For shame...

#260934 - 04/05/09 05:23 AM Re: Love Story - Wersi Scala
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Ensnareyou:
So you've heard some poorly recorded demos here and there and that person happened to be playing a Wersi. I can't count the number of times I've heard poorly recorded demos online with people playing various brands of instruments but I don't blame the instrument for that. If someone can't play or they don't know how to properly engineer and produce a recording that's not the fault of the instrument or the manufacturer of that instrument.

The difference is we've also heard good demos of all those other instruments. There hasn't been a single decent demo of a current Wersi posted yet. If you've got one, go on. Make our day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online