SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#260327 - 03/24/09 06:36 PM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I love what I do...

Plenty of variety and repertoire that I never get bored.

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#260328 - 03/25/09 09:30 AM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Around here in NJ live music is definatly waning. Parties are all DJ's and even if I do bring my keyboard I just do some dinner music and throw in some oldies between the CD's. Most times its not worth lugging the extra equipment. A very good friend doesn't even bring his keyboard anymore to his restaurant gigs. He sings to backing tracks on his IPOD then DJ's the rest of the night. This seems to be the trend. DJ's singing to backing tracks and people like and accept it. As far as the CC's they don't appreciate "the Great American Songbook" anymore. Again I play some wallpaper and Smooth Jazz style stuff to start and then DJ the rest.
I love playing my Hammond XK3 and piano on some Blues gigs. At least its real down to the basics music. No money to speak of but fun.
My real dream is to play a gig where there is NO TV!!!!

Bill

#260329 - 03/25/09 11:22 AM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
The rule here in Nashville is, try to get 2 out of 3 of these per gig. Good music, good pay, good hang..

The gypsy jazz trio I'm in is lousy pay, but it's good music and cool guys to hang with.

The country singer I'm touring with, is good pay, good hang, but the music is just OK.

A session I did a couple months back, good pay, good music, but the guys weren't that cool. Stuff like that.

There are the boring jobs where nobody seems to care that you're playing, but that's pretty rare in Nashville. It's really crazy the people you'll meet at a gig here; and there's usually enough musicians around that there's someone there to appreciate what you're doing.

But it's far from boring, at least in my case. I know guys who are just slogging through, playing the lower broadway clubs for tips and playing the same sets over and over and over. I can't do that. I've got some pretty good variety going on. It's so fun to do a country show one night, a jazz gig the next afternoon, absolutely nothing the next day, and Celtic accordion for a session the day after.

#260330 - 03/25/09 11:32 AM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Have you ever happened to run across my niece, Megan Shehan, in Nashville?
She recently signed a recording deal with James Stroud. She's a real talent.
Also got a couple of friends doing well there, Kenny Beard and Joe Spivey.
Just curious,
DonM

#260331 - 03/25/09 01:51 PM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bill Lewis ... you gotta keep bringing the kb, Bill ... we HAVE to keep promoting LIVE music to whatever degree possible ...

DonM ... talent just gallops in your family, doesn't it ? ...

t.

#260332 - 03/25/09 02:35 PM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Because I do all instrumental music, I'm kept busy (and content) coming up with new arrangements and trying to put my own stamp on tunes.

I can't say there is a genre I don't enjoy playing...each type of music tells a story to me, and I love the varying disciplines involved with each musical style whether it be pop, country, Latin, swing or Celtic to name just a few.

If playing "bored" me, I'd be doing something else...life's too short to be in a rut or doing something you don't like.

Ian

#260333 - 03/25/09 02:42 PM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
OK! I give up! What is CC?

#260334 - 03/25/09 02:43 PM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Country Club.

#260335 - 03/25/09 04:15 PM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
Don,
No, I haven't met your niece. I just looked up her myspace though, definitely talented.
Joe Spivey, as in the fiddle player with the Time Jumpers? I don't really know him, but I've heard the time jumpers a few times and have worked with a few of their members occasionally on separate gigs. Never played with Joe though.

#260336 - 03/30/09 06:12 AM Re: Do you LIKE what you play?
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Tony

Believe me I push the "live" stuff as much as I can but unfortunatley the publics taste determines the business. Think about it, how many bands do you see at weddings anymore. Its just predetermined that when you get married you get a DJ. Funny, but when I do bring the keyboard and people don't expect it they usually like it.
Keep on playing!!

Bill NJ

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online