SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#2602 - 07/26/06 01:15 PM First Keyboard, with specific purpse
daprophet Offline

I've looked through other 'first keyboard' posts and haven't found someone with similar tastes in music or similar questions.

It is a large world out there, as far as synthesizers/keyboards, samplers, etc. It's easy to get lost as a beginner. I myself have been listening to electronica for 15 years and have grown up with the changes.

I always loved the oldschool techno of groups like KLF, Shaman, the prodigy (experience/etc), and grew to like the harder styles of today such as Lisa Lashes.

I believe the hard techno route would be my most favorite style to play, however I would still like to fall into some Mauro Picotto type trance / hard trance areas.

I'm really not sure where to go with equipment, as it seems as though there are all these levels but I can't help but think "Get a starter keyboard" and find out that I should have just "gone big or go home"...

I've watched some videos and saw the Roland V-Synth 2.0 in action and was very impressed. Other than that, I haven't seen an 'all in one' type system that would give a good start. The MC-808 sampler seemed pretty sweet too, however I would think you'd have to get a keyboard and a sampler if at all...

Let me know if I am on the right track with the V-Synth. If people could give me specific models that are very powerful machines (so that I can learn but still have something that can make some quality songs), I will go ahead and research them myself and come back for a final quesiton for you all.

Any information would be MUCH appreciated, as salesman want the most of your money, and all of you don't care

#2603 - 07/26/06 04:26 PM Re: First Keyboard, with specific purpse
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Well, you're not really on the right track with the V-Synth.

The V-Synth is a fantastic instrument. Great features. Unique sound. I personally love it.

It's not bad to own one if you have some other gear and a good DAW but as a standalone synth it's not really useful multitimbrally. Meaning you won't be able to create entire tracks with it alone. not really.

A good KB controller + CPU from hell with some soft synths and a DAW is probably what you should be looking at since that's what you'll end up using anyway. Might as well start now.

But if you're into hardware and just need a synth to start messing with music making check out some of the workstations like Phantom, Triton, MO etc. Lots of sounds, lots of features. Enough to get you started.

If money is an issue you could always look at older synths like my favorite K2000 for samples etc and a Novation Nova for VA synth stuff. You're right. There are lots and lots of options.

I think it's best to just walk into a good music store and check things out for yourself. Ask qquestions in the process of trying different stuff.

Okay, I better go (wife is calling because dinner is ready. I only spent like 10 hours in front of my Mac today.. ).

To be continued...

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 07-27-2006).]

#2604 - 07/27/06 04:59 AM Re: First Keyboard, with specific purpse
3351 Offline

.. I'm back.

Anyway. I was going to also recommend Access Virus TI but to be honest it is far too buggy and problematic for a newbie to work with. There's also The Virus C but it's somewhat limited when compared to TI. At least as far as multi-FX, synthesis and multitimbrality goes.

Riding figure eight here but keep in mind that whatever you will end up buying you will still need a sequencer/audio program and a good audio card to make full use of *any( synth. Some synthesizer workstations feature a bit of audio and most have good on-board sequencers but in overall an *all in one( unit means limitations and isn't going to be as easy to use as a combination of hardware synths (or just KB controller/s) and a DAW.

So here you go. That 'bout sums it up. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

-ED-

#2605 - 07/27/06 09:15 AM Re: First Keyboard, with specific purpse
daprophet Offline

Thanks for the reply. I guess the reason the V-Synth caught my eye is the demo video that is on their site. The guy made a song with effects in like 2 minutes that sounded awesome. I really want a keyboard, and an actual hardware keyboard, as I have used cpu synth software and it is frustrating.

Money is an object, but $2000 isn't that far fetched as I know I will have to spend it sometime. Also complexity isn't an issue, as long as there is good manuals, and an ability to crank someting out in the beginning and get tighter as I learn.

I will go to stores and check some things out. Are samplers needed (such as the MC-808) or will a keyboard synth do to begin with? Or a workstation? What is the common peices of hardware that someone would need to produce a few entry level songs?

Thanks again for the info.

#2606 - 07/27/06 02:05 PM Re: First Keyboard, with specific purpse
3351 Offline

LOL
The V-Synth demo was probably pre-sequenced or the guy just triggered some loops. .

Well, sorry to hear that your experience with software synthesizers and instruments ended up being a frustrating one. However, using software synths here (for over 5 years now) and if anything hardware synths have become my second choice. Mostly because software synths are so much more convenient and powerful/flexible. Playing them from real hardware keyboards is a standard procedure actually. Although some tend to play their soft synths by clicking on-screen keys with the mouse. Not what soft synths were intended for really. LOL

Keep in mind that most digital hardware synthesizers (and synthesizer workstations) are basically soft synths with hardware interfaces (and annoying limitations of hardware like limited polyphony, FX etc). Same bits, same numbers crunching to make a sound.

I suppose it is possible to use synthesizer workstations like the newer Korg Triton, Yamaha Motif, Roland Phantom etc to produce some "entry level" songs. As a matter of fact any today's workstation can offer enough to play with. At least for a start.

I'd still recommend using a software sequencer though. A lot easier.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 07-27-2006).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online