SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#259993 - 03/19/09 02:39 PM Re: Laptop Soundcard Advice
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
Well just buy the adapter from PCMCIA to express, and use your echo card.

#259994 - 03/19/09 02:56 PM Re: Laptop Soundcard Advice
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I just checked out the E-MU's and am sure they are great. Since I only need decent playback, I cannot justify that much money.

I am getting the adaptor and hope I can copy the driver alright into my netbook using a flash drive. Thanks.
Bernie

#259995 - 03/19/09 03:02 PM Re: Laptop Soundcard Advice
Bernie9 Offline

Diki,since I value your opinion, I keep coming back to what you and Donny said about going the MP3 route. I don't know how to sync lyrics and graphics, but I know the quality has to be there. I am going to AB the Echo card with the G-70, and decide if I am going to pursue this. Thanks for your help.
Bernie

#259996 - 03/20/09 09:28 AM Re: Laptop Soundcard Advice
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Bernie,
Understand. The one you could use is only $99.

The one I use is $599. It has lots of analog in/outs, 2 MIDI, and digital I/O. I play all my audio through it. PC based stuff and PA2XPRO, Kurzweil, and Tyros.

Sounds top notch.

Lee S.

#259997 - 03/20/09 09:50 AM Re: Laptop Soundcard Advice
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
My advice is to stay away from USB as much as possible!

#259998 - 03/20/09 09:55 AM Re: Laptop Soundcard Advice
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hitman:
My advice is to stay away from USB as much as possible!

My advice is to "memorize" ALL your lyrics & music so you can make eye contact with the audience instead of the chart & record your SMF's to MP3 then play them off the LT, play styles off the KB

#259999 - 03/20/09 10:27 AM Re: Laptop Soundcard Advice
Bernie9 Offline

My adaptor will be in today. I'll check it out first. Thanks for the clarification Lee.

Donny, your way is the best, but I am 67 and might be done memorizing before my funeral. Maybe not.

#260000 - 03/20/09 11:05 AM Re: Laptop Soundcard Advice
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Bernie, check with the members here for the best software to link the lyrics sheets (if they are in your G70, you already had to make a .txt file of them all) with the MP3's.

I don't actually use MP3's myself, but that is only because I never gig qithout my G70, anyway. But if I DID... I would definitely go the MP3 route. You know, of course, that laptop HD's are getting MUCH bigger, these days? If the thought of going MP3 gives you fits, you could always use full CD 16/44 WAV files as long as you have enough room...

Me, for live, I can't tell the difference...

But I would be amazed to hear of a soundfont or cheap GM card that had even a fraction of the G70's dynamics and liveness, especially in the drums (and piano!). Mind you, have you Makeup Tooled your SMF's so they actually USE the V-Kits yet?

If you are playing them unedited on the G70, they are probably still using the legacy Standard, Power etc., kits from the old Sound Canvas days, and a sound card wavetable might NOT be as poor a comparison...

Every time I hear an old SMF unedited on my G70 I think 'whoops! who swapped my G70 for a G1000?!'. I have edited every single SMF I use to the V-Kits. Without those, probably 90% of the realism of the drumkits disappears.

#260001 - 03/20/09 11:07 AM Re: Laptop Soundcard Advice
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
"My advice is to stay away from USB as much as possible!"

Hmm... I'm not sure why you say that. If you have an older computer e.g. one with Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, then I can understand your concern. If you use Windows XP, Vista, or the soon to be released Windows 7, then USB in my opinion is and will be the way to go, and indeed, the wave of the future in my humble opinion. When USB 3.0 is released next year it will put Firewire out of existence and make it obsolete. All other forms of external file transfer protocols will pale by comparison. Apple is even currently phasing out Firewire on some of their newer models because they've seen what USB 3.0 is capable of and they want to be ready to get on board "full steam ahead" once it's released and consequently are relegating some models to USB ports exclusively. USB 3.0 will be able to read and write data at the same time, unlike Firewire. It will also be backward compatible to USB 2.0 and 1.1 both physically AND functionally. USB 3.0 will also carry more "power" through it so it will be able to handle more than "4" devices from a single hub and will also allow you charge up heftier hardware as well.

The future is USB if you ask me. >> So long Firewire, nice to have known you eSATA, see 'ya later Firewire 800.. And HELLO!!! USB 3.0! In about a year or so's time though of course...

All the best,
Mike

#260002 - 03/20/09 12:17 PM Re: Laptop Soundcard Advice
Bernie9 Offline

Diki and Mike
Incredable information. No, I have not thought about changing drumsets, except for a few enemic SMF's. I thought the G70 always sounded very good. Now I will try the V drums. It is not that I don't use the G70, but I use the laptop with it, with my notation programs. I don't want to port to the G70 with midi cable because, at least on my KN7000, it takes away my flexability in choosing instruments. If the G70 used even it's GM soundset for the laptop, and let me operate as usual, it would be a win win situation.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online