SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#259806 - 03/16/09 07:16 AM O.T. Anyone know the best way to convert a M4a to a mp3?
richard_shiflet Offline

Loc: Greenwood, SC -USA
My macbook automatically turns added music files into the itunes M4a format. For sharing with windows users, I suppose that Mp3 would be the format of choice.

What's the best way to convert the file? Do I have to buy new software for this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Richard

#259807 - 03/16/09 07:17 AM Re: O.T. Anyone know the best way to convert a M4a to a mp3?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I use DBpoweramp. it does it all

#259808 - 03/16/09 07:22 AM Re: O.T. Anyone know the best way to convert a M4a to a mp3?
Magica Alfa Offline

Richard this is ok:
http://www.download3000.com/download-m4a-to-mp3-converter-count-reg-17651.html

but you can use also some other converters.

#259809 - 03/16/09 07:52 AM Re: O.T. Anyone know the best way to convert a M4a to a mp3?
richard_shiflet Offline

Thanks guys. DBPowerAmp was windows only. But it led me next to 'switch'. It is shareware and handled the conversion quickly.

Again thanks to both of you

Richard

#259810 - 03/16/09 11:34 AM Re: O.T. Anyone know the best way to convert a M4a to a mp3?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
In the iTunes preferences you can chose what format iTunes converts to. While AAC is technically a slightly superior codec, as you've discovered, it doesn't play well with most things non-Apple.

For about the same reason as you (and I have been ripping albums LONG before AAC came out) I set iTunes to a 256kbps MP3 format, and have no problems sharing.

I know this doesn't help immediately, but it'll save you time later on..

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 03-16-2009).]

#259811 - 03/16/09 12:28 PM Re: O.T. Anyone know the best way to convert a M4a to a mp3?
richard_shiflet Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
In the iTunes preferences you can chose what format iTunes converts to. While AAC is technically a slightly superior codec, as you've discovered, it doesn't play well with most things non-Apple.

For about the same reason as you (and I have been ripping albums LONG before AAC came out) I set iTunes to a 256kbps MP3 format, and have no problems sharing.

I know this doesn't help immediately, but it'll save you time later on..

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 03-16-2009).]

Thanks so much Diki. I guess I should have set that when I first got the macbook pro. Anyway, its set now and it'll be easier in the future.

Thanks again for the tip.

Richard

#259812 - 03/16/09 01:02 PM Re: O.T. Anyone know the best way to convert a M4a to a mp3?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Surely most people back there in the Windows world have iTunes installed these days, and can therefore play AAC?

#259813 - 03/16/09 01:12 PM Re: O.T. Anyone know the best way to convert a M4a to a mp3?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
While the Apple software and players DO have a large chunk of the market, there are still plenty that prefer Winamp, or things like that, and players like the Zune and Creative Zen's, etc.. (Probably from legacy libraries, etc.)

But it IS weird to be on the other end of a PC/Mac issue where it actually IS Apple that is the dominating force How humbling it must be for the Dark Force Imperial Stormtroopers to have to worry about Mac compatibility for a change...

#259814 - 03/16/09 03:14 PM Re: O.T. Anyone know the best way to convert a M4a to a mp3?
richard_shiflet Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
While the Apple software and players DO have a large chunk of the market, there are still plenty that prefer Winamp, or things like that, and players like the Zune and Creative Zen's, etc.. (Probably from legacy libraries, etc.)

But it IS weird to be on the other end of a PC/Mac issue where it actually IS Apple that is the dominating force How humbling it must be for the Dark Force Imperial Stormtroopers to have to worry about Mac compatibility for a change...

Wow, You're right Diki. We have come full circle.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online