SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#259648 - 03/12/09 10:45 AM Entertainment insurance
Beakybird Offline

One of my clients, a chain of nursing homes, is demanding that I have insurance.

What's the cheapest insurance I can get as an entertainer?

Beakybird

#259649 - 03/12/09 12:26 PM Re: Entertainment insurance
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I have a liability umbrella policy for $2,000,000.00. It combines vehicles, home and other liability issues (say, a customer pulls over a speaker on their head and sues either me or the venue). The cost is about $350.00 per year over the cost of the regular coverage.

The agent had to look at a lot of companies to get peresonal liability under the unbrella.

More venues and clients are requiring this. As a supplier of brochures and films, I'm asked to provide proof of liability coverage to protect from claims in the event someone claims injury as a result of applying a product per directions in my collateral piece and getting injured.

Just start with whomever supplies your homeowners insurance. If that doesn't work, try a firm that specializes in commercial lines.

Good luck!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 03-12-2009).]

#259650 - 03/12/09 05:52 PM Re: Entertainment insurance
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Slightly OT (as in not answering the question directly) but I assumed everyone (especially in the U.S.) had to have Entertainment/Public Liability Insurance - no????

It's mandatory in Australia for professionals (as far as Agents & Venues are concerned) and has been for a few years now.

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#259651 - 03/12/09 05:58 PM Re: Entertainment insurance
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
I've never heard of anything like that.
I have to have Public Insurance on my Studio which covers me if customers fall or whatever, but outside that, they don't have to have anything.

Same goes got any public place, pub, club or any venue. Public Insurance covers it all.

Regards.
James.

#259652 - 03/12/09 09:05 PM Re: Entertainment insurance
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
A year or so ago a client, (nursing home/upscale retirement community) informed me that I needed to provide liability insurance in order to continue being employed by said client.

Some things to know:

1) Generally speaking, its not guys like us they really have in mind. Any repair service techs, construction, installation, Delivery guys, etc. type people who have reason to be in their business. If a over head light fixture falls out of the ceiling, they need to know who to come after.

2) I spoke directly to the main office and explained that one man shops aren't geared to carry large lines of insurance coverage, if any. They agreed and said this wasn't meant for entertainers...

3) The above may not apply in your situation, but its worth making sure you're name didn't just pop up from a vendors report and now you have this problem.

4) Ask your AD what insurance other entertainers are providing. Check out their rates...

5) Another possibility is to explore a group rate. If all of a sudden all entertainers have to have this, maybe if you join together on this issue, you can get a better deal (ie: rates) than you could individually.

Let us know how it turns out...

I have insurance on my equipment. I'm covered for just about anything up to 15K at a annual cost to me of about $90...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 03-12-2009).]

#259653 - 03/12/09 09:09 PM Re: Entertainment insurance
Beakybird Offline

Thanks for the replies. I will talk to the activity directors. It's not worth it for me to get insurance if this is the only client requiring it. I might get $1200 in business from them, but if I have to pay $350 to get insurance, then forget it.

Beakybird

#259654 - 03/12/09 11:44 PM Re: Entertainment insurance
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
F-ing office weenies! Corporate bullsh*t at it's finest...

Next they'll be asking the janitor to provide his own liability insurance, even if he is working for THEM...

As if the profits in the medical industry weren't already obscene, they try to scrimp and save every last dime to pad their bottom line. No matter what the cost to their employees or customers.

It's a national disgrace.

#259655 - 03/13/09 03:42 PM Re: Entertainment insurance
Beakybird Offline

The bureaucrat must have spoken with her superior.

I called her to ask to talk to her superior, and she said to me, "Actually, you don't need liability insurance since you're an entertainer."

She never bothered to call me. I was thinking of buying a policy which would have cost $325 a year.

Beakybird

#259656 - 03/13/09 04:36 PM Re: Entertainment insurance
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
There's another issue here, folks. Even if the venue doesn't require it, we're all risking getting sued because someone trips over a cable and falls while we're working. Liability coverage is a good thing to have, if you don't want to risk your ASSets.

R.

#259657 - 03/13/09 05:01 PM Re: Entertainment insurance
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thing is, don't these venues already HAVE liability insurance?

If the janitor leaves the floor wet, and someone trips, isn't their liability covering that? Why should we be any different..? No-one follows the janitor around night and day, just in case he does leave something wet. They hire trustworthy janitors, and then get insurance just in case... they sure DON'T make the janitor buy his own

If they use a janitorial service, then the cost of the insurance is factored into the price the service charges. But you can bet your bottom dollar that a NH that insists on you getting liability insurance WON'T be happy if you raise your price to cover the additional expense

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online