SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#259628 - 03/15/09 02:02 AM Re: Lionstracs MS X-76
to the genesys Offline

You get what you ask for.
Ask for a style with no RH no chord changes and of course it is going to sound like that.
Show me a T3 style recorded like that and we will get the same review.

It is a disservice to demo a product in the way it was not intended to be used.

#259629 - 03/15/09 04:59 AM Re: Lionstracs MS X-76
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi AFG

Could you upload the file elsewhere, as the site you have chosen distributes Malware, and I would not touch it with a barge poll.

For those that have already downloaded it, make sure your Anti-virus and Anti-spyware is up to date, and run a full scan.

Regards

Bill

#259630 - 03/15/09 05:08 AM Re: Lionstracs MS X-76
AFG Music Offline

delete

[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 03-06-2010).]

#259631 - 03/15/09 10:06 AM Re: Lionstracs MS X-76
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#259632 - 03/15/09 04:10 PM Re: Lionstracs MS X-76
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
You get what you ask for.
Ask for a style with no RH no chord changes and of course it is going to sound like that.
Show me a T3 style recorded like that and we will get the same review.

It is a disservice to demo a product in the way it was not intended to be used.

What are you referring to, genesys? Did you actually READ my post (I sometimes wonder )...

I made NO criticism of no RH part. That's what I wanted. Unlike you, perhaps, I NEED to hear what the arranger is doing to be able to judge how well it sounds AS AN ARRANGER. I am all too aware of what all the VSTi's sound like. And a great or a poor RH performance can alter perceptions of the arranger.

No offense, but I believe that I CAN put up a LH style only demo of a T3 or a PA2 or a G70, and have something better than this.

Isn't that the POINT of comparison? To find out what is better? To find out what does the job, and what doesn't. To find out what sounds like REAL players playing with you (due in part to the quality of the sounds, but in a large part, due to the skill of the style programmers) and what sounds like uninspired, flat robots.

Here, for instance is a page of T2 sound and style demos (click the link for Media clips). So far, AFAIK, there isn't a T3 page like this, but this is fairly close to the T3 anyway).
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%25253D62119%252526CTID%25253D205500,00.html#

Anyway, all efforts to the contrary, we are finally getting some more recent audio demos of the MS. And that is a good thing. Now, members here finally have a chance to make up their OWN minds about how the MS sounds, rather than simply listen to TALK from it's protagonists, and lousy demos from it's manufacturer...

Whether this convinces us of it's competitiveness at being a real arranger or not lies in the hands of objective review. Rather than biased opinion.

And that's a GOOD thing, isn't it?

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 03-15-2009).]

#259633 - 03/15/09 07:46 PM Re: Lionstracs MS X-76
to the genesys Offline

That was exactly my point (which I guess you did not get)
If the demonstrator in any of those T2 demos just held down a C major chord with no chord movement and no right-hand it would have sounded as good as that MS demo.

Unless some persons just use their arranger to play one chord and do not play any RH, then a demo with no chord movements and no RH is deceptive and misrepresenting the product.

#259634 - 03/16/09 08:18 AM Re: Lionstracs MS X-76
richard_shiflet Offline

Loc: Greenwood, SC -USA
AFG,

Thanks for posting. I'm glad you're enjoying the Mediastation, its a great instrument. What type of music do you play most?

Feel free to contact me offline if you perfer, my contact info is listed in my profile.

Richard

#259635 - 03/16/09 12:08 PM Re: Lionstracs MS X-76
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, genesys, but we'll have to disagree on this one. Personally, I think that even if you just hold one chord and hit variation and fill buttons, you end up with something maybe better than this on a Yamaha. Those Mega voices make an enormous difference to the realism of the guitar and bass parts. Not to mention the vel-switched drumkits.

I'm not looking for normal operation. To be honest, that often masks other problems (glitchy fills and variation changes e.g., remember the Korg issue).

If this is all AFG wants to show, that's fine. Yes, a few changes would have shown whether there are different patterns for maj/min/dim, etc., and how well it transitions between them, but that is usually a function of how well the style is written, rather than the arranger OS itself.

But response to 'late' chords, fill and variation timing issues are squarely on the arranger OS...

But style balance, drumkit balance, EQ issues (on my reference monitors, this had a very tubby bottom) and many other things can be checked out BETTER with the simplest of demos...

Sorry I didn't quite grab what you were saying. You didn't actually articulate that particular point...

#259636 - 03/17/09 11:41 AM Re: Lionstracs MS X-76
AFG Music Offline

delete

[This message has been edited by AFG Music (edited 03-06-2010).]

#259637 - 03/18/09 02:46 AM Re: Lionstracs MS X-76
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
It's scary! There's been a loooong time since I posted for the last time here... I see the same old discussions that lead me to quit posting and participating many months ago... although I feel I left some good friends here (some of them are gone too).

How big do you think the patience of a moderator can be, when he waits for more than 500 messages to lock a topic?? Nigel should win a "gold patience" award...

This is a forum with a terrific potential, but I have a dream... I wish the attitude around here could be more constructive...

Cheers from Portugal.

-- José.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online