SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#259027 - 03/06/09 08:22 PM Re: No more Roland or GEM arrangers to be produced??
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA

#259028 - 03/06/09 08:25 PM Re: No more Roland or GEM arrangers to be produced??
Fran Carango Offline

#259029 - 03/06/09 08:30 PM Re: No more Roland or GEM arrangers to be produced??
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
The DJXII was released to kill the line. Version 2 just fell short on the whole thing. They took away the LCD display and added that 1985 LED.., don't get me started on the color scheme..., and they took away TOUCH RESPONSE on the keys of all things. It was obvious Yamaha's intention was to kill the line with version 2.., but still try to sell as many of those as they could.

The first time I played version 2 and the box version I laughed so hard!!! At the time I still had the original. I left that store thankful I still had the ol blue.

Donny this is where you should post a pic Find one of the original and that gawd awful version 2....

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 03-06-2009).]

#259030 - 03/06/09 08:30 PM Re: No more Roland or GEM arrangers to be produced??
Fran Carango Offline

#259031 - 03/07/09 03:29 AM Re: No more Roland or GEM arrangers to be produced??
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
I'll light the fuse...

NO new music is "made on an arranger". None at all. Arrangers, using styles, are nice to reproduce exisiting songs, at best. Find the style that matches the song best, and play along.

What makes my E-80 "kind of" a workstation in my eyes, is the fact that I can not only use it as an arranger, but I can also write music, MAKE music, from scratch. The vast amount of different high-quality sounds, that (to a certain extend) can be altered to my liking, allow me to play each and every instrument by myself, record it as multitrack-audio or as MIDI-sequence. That's MAKING _new_ music. You can't do that using pre-cooked instant accompaniment.

Sure, I use styles in writing new music, to "capture" the general idea of a song, while I only have a rough idea of a chord progression, a melody line. And that's why I love the arrangerfunctions on my keyboard. But before the song is finished, I will have every "arranger" part replaced by my own.

Manufacturers would be wise to add a lot of functions to instruments, abandoning the idea of "just an arranger", but adding more and more features that allow the player to alter sounds, use imported samples etc etc. Once they get that right, the instrument WILL be interesting for young _and_ 'old' buyers.

And you know what? Maybe that's exactly what the R&D's of the "big three" are looking into as we speak.

Just my € 0,02

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM http://www.keyboardforum.nl
Happy owner of a Roland E-80 V2

[This message has been edited by Burkels (edited 03-07-2009).]

#259032 - 03/07/09 04:25 AM Re: No more Roland or GEM arrangers to be produced??
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Roland already uses SRX cards extensively, why not incorporate styles into a loadable card and then the keyboard could appeal to different ages and genres with the switch of a card.

indeed!
modularity, that should and will be a good answer for various needs. GW8 seems as a good start. still, a lot of work to be done. also, open OS could be the other good answer.

#259033 - 03/07/09 04:27 AM Re: No more Roland or GEM arrangers to be produced??
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Burkels:

Sure, I use styles in writing new music, to "capture" the general idea of a song, while I only have a rough idea of a chord progression, a melody line. And that's why I love the arrangerfunctions on my keyboard. But before the song is finished, I will have every "arranger" part replaced by my own.

That use is quite common among arranger users...I use my S900 the same way, usually when I am making a CD.

I do tend to leave in the guitar parts, such as strums, to make the best use of the mega voices.

For "live" play I always use my own custom assembled styles, as to put my own stamp on a tune.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 03-07-2009).]

#259034 - 03/07/09 05:12 AM Re: No more Roland or GEM arrangers to be produced??
Burkels Offline

Loc: Alkmaar, The Netherlands, Euro...
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
That use is quite common among arranger users...I use my S900 the same way, usually when I am making a CD.

I don't think it's that common as you think it is I think that 90% of the arranger users play along with styles that others made... That's where the arranger's reputation of "PushOneButtonAndItPlays" comes from. That's why many people look down on the instrument, since they think all you have to do is press a key and the band plays. And to some extend they're right.

It's just that you don't have to stop there. New instruments with improved and added functions to create(!) music from scratch will have to be the next generation. A cross-over between arrangers and synths, if you will. Let's call them Workstations

------------------
- THE DUTCH KEYBOARD FORUM
http://www.keyboardforum.nl
Happy owner of a Roland E-80 V2

#259035 - 03/07/09 05:28 AM Re: No more Roland or GEM arrangers to be produced??
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Burkels:
I don't think it's that common as you think it is

Perhaps you are right...I do know that the line between arranger and workstation has blurred a lot in the recent past.

I find making demos much faster with an arranger than a workstation.

Ian

#259036 - 03/07/09 05:38 AM Re: No more Roland or GEM arrangers to be produced??
Dnj Offline

being a good player is the #1 thing that should matter to anyone....

second is what keyboard you use

not enough emphasis is put on LEARNING HOW TO PLAY! Too many people think they know how to play in their mind until someone else listens to their music. Btw, & on topic again.... on the other hand Roland will be around a very long time they make superior gear & is not going anywhere.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online