SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#258059 - 02/25/09 07:49 PM Re: korg arranger survey
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Best of luck with those. I really hope they come, soon. The PA800, especially now OS2 has arrived, is one of my favorite potential pieces of gear to get. SA capability (and user programmability of it), a really well integrated Guitar Mode (I love the Roland's, but you can't use it in style mode), sampling, it's got a lot going for it. But two or three fills per style, now that I'm used to the G70's seven (and still wish I had more! ) on a four variation arranger seems unnecessarily limited, and having to load a BANK up just to audition one style again seems old-fashioned.

To be honest,there really isn't that much to fix to make the Korg's a LOT better. It's just they have been dragging their feet for quite a while on these issues...

Things to ADD might be quite a list. Given Korg's willingness to cross pollinate arrangers and WS's, though, maybe now is the time for them to leapfrog ahead of the competition, and start incorporating some arpeggiation and loop playback features from the WS line, and finally give us the 21st century arranger we all have been waiting for...

Of all the main manufacturers, only Korg seem to be willing to let an arranger seriously compete against their WS line...

#258060 - 02/25/09 07:52 PM Re: korg arranger survey
zuki Offline

Yes, all the above is nice. I really like the 800 'break' - so much potential for live use. Don't think I can live without that feature, as trite as it sounds.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#258061 - 02/25/09 08:02 PM Re: korg arranger survey
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

Of all the main manufacturers, only Korg seem to be willing to let an arranger seriously compete against their WS line...[/B]

While Yamaha does the opposite and brings the Arranger into their Workstation Line.
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#258062 - 02/25/09 08:13 PM Re: korg arranger survey
Diki Offline

Sadly incomplete, yet, King. Have you got your MoXS yet..?

The thing that drove me crazy is that you can't trigger a fill when you feel like. They HAVE to be triggered a bar in advance, and I just can't get my head around that. Not to mention that the controls for all that are less than optimal for your LH to use. In the studio, that's not the biggie it is live, though...

And general opinion is that the SA features of the XS are a pale shadow of how easy they are to play on the Tyros2/3. But whatever direction the flow is in, I'm just happy to see ANY flow. If it takes having to use a WS with arranger features to get what I want, who cares? A rose, is a rose, is a rose...

#258063 - 02/25/09 08:17 PM Re: korg arranger survey
Nedim Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NYC
But also dont forget that Korg lately focuses on other markets especially the Arrangers.

#258064 - 02/25/09 08:45 PM Re: korg arranger survey
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
From time to time I've posted about my desire to have a PA (800 or Pa2X) module. Korg has not completly said that they would never offer a module, saying only that they don't feel that there is currently a market for another Korg module (the last one was the i40M). I've expressed this need for a module based on the PA technology on this and several other forums. I hope that the people who said they would certainly buy a module if it were offered take this opportunity to let Korg know that fact so that they can determine if there is indeed a market - or not - by the numbers of requests for such a module that accompany this survey. Thank All.
Ciao,
Jerry

#258065 - 02/25/09 08:55 PM Re: korg arranger survey
Diki Offline

The thing I've seen lately, Jerry, is guitarists using looper pedals to provide their own accompaniment, rather than arranger modules. This has GOT to have shrunk the market for arranger modules, I'm afraid...

It was pretty small in the first place. Any loss has got to make it that much harder to recoup the investment in making one...

#258066 - 02/25/09 09:44 PM Re: korg arranger survey
Kingfrog Offline

Loc: Myrtle beach SC
Quote:
Sadly incomplete, yet, King. Have you got your MoXS yet..?

The thing that drove me crazy is that you can't trigger a fill when you feel like. They HAVE to be triggered a bar in advance, and I just can't get my head around that. Not to mention that the controls for all that are less than optimal for your LH to use. In the studio, that's not the biggie it is live, though...

And general opinion is that the SA features of the XS are a pale shadow of how easy they are to play on the Tyros2/3. But whatever direction the flow is in, I'm just happy to see ANY flow. If it takes having to use a WS with arranger features to get what I want, who cares? A rose, is a rose, is a rose...

NO Dammit...I called Yamaha today. Be here tomorrow or Friday. Its ok though I have been reading and reading and reading and printing PDFS and reading and watching YouTube tutorials.....

I am not expecting the XA voices to outperform the Tyros. I am expecting the 6000+ Arps to surpass the Muti Pad Arps though. The workflow at first glance seems slick using linear /pattern based song construction. 8 elements per voice is something I am looking forward to messing with, One would think with 8 elements (vs 4 on my Dimension VSTI sampler) some nice articulations could be had, But Im not holding my breath on that one.

The INTEGRATION with the DAW is the problem I needed solving and the main reason I decided on the XS despite having a Yamaha Soundset already. 88 weighted keys is number two, The rest will be icing and reveal itself as I learn how to get around the beast. Right now I am wondering how to integrate it using the digital output into the Firebox since two firewire ports cannot be used in ASIO. So I either go in digitally, or buy a USB interface for the Tyros and use the FW on the XS, I am not a big fan of FW since USB 2.0.

AS far as fills go. I don't see it beating the AI of the Tyros. The T3 is fool proof on Fills.It knows which beat and how long the fill needs to be, Don't know about the XS. I suspect its not an Arranger in that regard.

Needless to say its going to make the previously "complicated" Tyros look like a PSR 213 in simplicity. I hope I am not in over my head.......25 year old brains are far more technically savvy than 50 year old ones.I may have to buy the "DVD tutorial" set from PC Professor LOL...
Casio PX-330
Martin DC Aura
Breedlove ATlas Solo
Bose MOD II PA

#258067 - 02/25/09 09:59 PM Re: korg arranger survey
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
The thing that drove me crazy is that you can't trigger a fill when you feel like. They HAVE to be triggered a bar in advance,

Sorry Diki, not true.
They can also be set to trigger immediately.

There switch to change it. Factory default is one bar in advance.

What I didn't get, was that on the module the arps can be triggered by a footpedal, obviously as there are no buttons, but why Yamaha have never allowed this on any keyboard Motif (any series) is beyond me.

Dennis

#258068 - 02/25/09 10:53 PM Re: korg arranger survey
Diki Offline

Sorry Dennis, but that is only PARTIALLY true...

Yes, you can set an arp or loop to trigger immediately, but it is no longer in sync with the music. In other words, if you have a one bar fill, and call for it on beat 2, it starts on it's beat 1 and plays for a bar, not starts on beat 2 and plays for three beats. It is utterly irritating...

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online