SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#257890 - 02/23/09 01:41 AM Roland V-Piano VS Pianoteq 3
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Question..
I have installed the new modelling Pianoteq 3 under multiple ASIO host Patch and is working really good:

What is the sostantial difference from the new Roland V-Piano VS the Pianoteq 3?

#257891 - 02/23/09 09:51 AM Re: Roland V-Piano VS Pianoteq 3
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, for one thing, it seems on the Pianoteq, (from that screenshot, at least) that unison detuning is a global parameter, whereas on the V-Piano it is per note (if you want).

This will help the piano sound more 'real', as unison tuning is rarely, even with the best piano technicians, consistent from top to bottom.

I liked Pianoteq2's demos, but overall, I felt that Roland's sounded a bit more like a real piano, better than samples, whereas the Pianoteq didn't QUITE cut it against the best of the sampled sets out there.

PurgatoryCreek.com has examples up of the Pianoteq (no Roland V-Piano, yet...) for you to compare to other sample sets, including GIGA. In fact, you might want to put the MS's GIGA piano up there for comparison...

#257892 - 02/23/09 11:35 AM Re: Roland V-Piano VS Pianoteq 3
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
I'm a Pianoteq user and I have to say version 3 is a vast improvement over 2. It now sounds “in my opinion” hyper realistic. Version 2 was good but it had a slightly synthetic bottom end and soft mid tones, where version 3 has all the feel of a real piano from top to bottom.

Quote:
Well, for one thing, it seems on the Pianoteq, (from that screenshot, at least) that unison detuning is a global parameter, whereas on the V-Piano it is per note (if you want).

I read on another forum that there will be a Pro version of Pianoteq 3 released that will do that. No dates set though.

Regards.
James.

#257893 - 02/23/09 01:33 PM Re: Roland V-Piano VS Pianoteq 3
Bachus Offline

Well....

Seems atleast like a pro for MS...

And MS can upgrade its piano sound, roland Can't...

But how is the processor of MS doing while handling Pianoteq III

http://keyszone.boards.net

#257894 - 02/23/09 02:40 PM Re: Roland V-Piano VS Pianoteq 3
Diki Offline

That's always a good question. 'Closed' arrangers and keyboards have their faults, but when they say 128 voices, you get 128 voices, no matter WHAT sound is being used... (and yes, I know a four element voice uses four voices!)

I'm just curious, but when CPU overloads occur (from using some very intensive VSTi's and effects, etc.) does the MS multi-task, and only close down on the overloaded VSTi, or does the whole thing glitch out?

#257895 - 02/24/09 01:59 AM Re: Roland V-Piano VS Pianoteq 3
LIONSTRACS Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
That's always a good question. 'Closed' arrangers and keyboards have their faults, but when they say 128 voices, you get 128 voices, no matter WHAT sound is being used... (and yes, I know a four element voice uses four voices!)

I'm just curious, but when CPU overloads occur (from using some very intensive VSTi's and effects, etc.) does the MS multi-task, and only close down on the overloaded VSTi, or does the whole thing glitch out?

Like always you Diki continue talk without any know how...

Do you think that one keyboard with 128 Voice you are able to use this all voices for the sounds??
Read well how the embedded DSP are working: http://www.lionstracs.com/download/software/FIR97082voices.pdf
when all is running, 66 voice are used for the system and the remain 62 voice for play the sounds.
Then: IF you use stereo sounds, it mean double voices to use, press one chord with 4 notes, it mean another 8 voice sucked from the 62 available.
start to play one midifile/ complex styles and then Hold the Sustain pedal too...

On MS with AMD dualcore 5200+, under the COMBI mode, ( 8 layered sounds) connect to 8 different PC engines: sampler, ASIO Hosts..I have played about 800 Voices, then start to overload the CPU and some asio host dropped some notes, BUT never crashed!

On the PC system all depend on the hardware used, CPU, RAM, more power you have, more voices and application you can open in realtime.

Maybe you tough about the Oasys limitation, software/hardware embedded issue..the MS is a totally different concept.

#257896 - 02/24/09 02:31 AM Re: Roland V-Piano VS Pianoteq 3
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yep agree with this... ON the "traditional" keyboard you are locked to whatever the manufacturer gives you, on the MS, it is, whilst not unlimited, it IS a LOT..Lot more than 128 too, all used in real time.

Dennis

#257897 - 02/24/09 02:33 AM Re: Roland V-Piano VS Pianoteq 3
Diki Offline

So, how many Pianoteq3 voices can you get in realtime from the MS?

I realize that English is not your first language, Dom, but perhaps the "(and yes, I know a four element voice uses four voices!)" sentence might have clued you to the fact that I know the difference between the total number of oscillators (or 'voices', as they are usually called, in English) and the total number of notes available for any particular sound, But feel free to keep belittling me. I can take it better than you can take legitimate questions about the MS, anyway!

Different VSTi's have vastly different CPU requirements. You may easily get 200 GIGA voices, or other sample playback systems with minimal processing on modern CPU's. But modeling is one of those things that, at ultra low latencies, can quickly drag even the beefiest CPU to it's knees. Or am I talking without any know how again?

But let me get this straight, because it's quite an achievement... If you are playing a style, or streaming some audio, and max out the CPU with something like Pianoteq3, the style still keeps on playing and the audio streaming, and only the Pianoteq3 chokes? That's pretty darn good...

#257898 - 02/24/09 03:40 AM Re: Roland V-Piano VS Pianoteq 3
LIONSTRACS Offline

yes, Pianoteq 3 seem suck a lot of CPU.

I made this last test on Dennis MS and now is on package..Fedex come to pickup today.

I have load one giga Liatin styles, running the B4II Asio host, running the NI FM7 Asio host and then the Pianoteq 3 Vst under Vst Host ASIO mode too.

Setup the Pianoteq at 96 Voice, starting play the Latin style, hold the sustan pedal with Pianoteq 3 and played a lot of notes.

In this situation setup the system was sucking the 54% of the CPU.

I think we still have more power for running more engines.
One more note: in normal use, I don't think you there have to play the all the engines together..
when you play one style/midifile, then you play over with the B4, switch in realtime to Giga, to Pianoteq, Massive... then you have just some engine working, all the others are waiting for the process.

Maybe a good mandrake man with 20 fingers is able to play the all engines together..but what for a sounds chaos you get?

Com on..to be realistic...is always a compromise to choose.
the MS is based with a standard PC system features, do not ask on MS to make miracle when the others all brands can offer you just some closed candy...

just the possibility to install and play the Pianoteq 3 and a LOT of others asio sounds all in realtime just by press ONE key, is a big PRO for the MS.

If you don't like the MS styles, this is another argument, but for the souns sets, no another keyboards is able to make what the MS can offer.
When then will be available the new Windows Karma application, on MS we can runing under the last available ASIO Host Patch Key, in combination with the all others ASIO host engines
Then we have also the Oasys Karma on MS full midi controlled like the Openlabs.

enjoy what you play.

#257899 - 02/24/09 04:48 AM Re: Roland V-Piano VS Pianoteq 3
Irishacts Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi LIONSTRACS.

Quote:
In this situation setup the system was sucking the 54% of the CPU

Hmmm.... I had to devote a dual core laptop to run Pianoteq all on it's own because the second you hit that sustain pedal, the poly goes well over 100 notes often when playing.

Quote:
If you don't like the MS styles, this is another argument, but for the souns sets, no another keyboards is able to make what the MS can offer.

Can you explain what you mean here exactly. What has the mediastation over the Neko ?.

Quote:
When then will be available the new Windows Karma application

There is no such application. It has been requested by many and Stephen does have the interest in writing it at some point, but as of now it does not even exist.

Quote:
Then we have also the Oasys Karma on MS full midi controlled like the Openlabs.

You still won't have an OASYS because the Mediastation has no way of producing any of the sounds the OASYS can. The mediastation depends on being able to load up other peoples software and everything in the OASYS right now cannot be purchased anywhere.

James.

[This message has been edited by Irishacts (edited 02-24-2009).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online