SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#257775 - 02/22/09 09:58 AM car problem (Way OT)
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Guys-

Went out to warm up the car, started right up. Came inside for a few minutes and then went out and found car stalled. Also smelled gas. I knew I was needing gas but didn't think I'd run out yet. Tried starting the car...gas smell gets worse.

Also noticed a dripping sound after I ceased trying to turn it over. Kids verified they see something dripping after each attempt to start the car.

Funny thing is it just got a tune up yesterday. I had no issues after picking it up yesterday at all.

Any ideas?

Could it be related to something involved with the tune up stuff?

Thanks

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#257776 - 02/22/09 10:01 AM Re: car problem (Way OT)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Sounds like a fuel line leak. Check the fluid dripping to see if it smells like fuel. Your fuel pump could also be bad.., what year is the vehicle. On the tune up did it include a fuel line filter check as well? How low was the fuel in your tank? In extreme cold conditions having a very minimal amount of fuel in the tank and lines isn't always suggested... was your tank well under a quarter tank?

If it cranked over..., ran for some time.., then stalled it's very possible the motor was simply "running on fumes" until it stalled--taking into consideration the fuel line is leaking. A hose could have dry rot.., a clamp somewhere could have rusted through.., anything's possible on the fuel line.

Is this a trusted mechanic of yours. It's a very common mechanic dirty scheme to find a fuel line leak.., or suddenly you have an oil or small radiator leak after a tune-up. Mechancis get nailed for this all the time. They've been caughted puncturing fuel lines.., radiators.., and even oil pans. Sometimes they'll screw with the seal on the oil pan plug. My mother had a mechanic do that to her when she brought her BMW in (I actually caught the guy tampering with it). Ya gotta watch..., more and more people are holding on to their older vehicles due to the times and garages are making a killing now.., so naturally dirty mechanics are on the rise.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 02-22-2009).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#257777 - 02/22/09 10:03 AM Re: car problem (Way OT)
Dnj Offline

Bring it back to your mechanic who did the tuneup. probably fuel pump...they'll have to drop the gas tank to replace it and charge you a hefty sum too.... man this IS way OT

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-22-2009).]

#257778 - 02/22/09 10:06 AM Re: car problem (Way OT)
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Sounds like a fuel line leak. Check the fluid dripping to see if it smells like fuel. Your fuel pump could also be bad.., what year is the vehicle. On the tune up did it include a fuel line filter check as well? How low was the fuel in your tank? In extreme cold conditions having a very minimal amount of fuel in the tank and lines isn't always suggested... was your tank well under a quarter tank?

If it cranked over..., ran for some time.., then stalled it's very possible the motor was simply "running on fumes" until it stalled.

Invoice says he replaced 6 spark plugs, 1 fuel filter and 1 pcv valve...Plus oil and the filter...

It smells strongly of gasoline...

This is a 2003 Town & Country MiniVan. Never...EVER...has this thing failed to start...in 3+ years...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 02-22-2009).]

#257779 - 02/22/09 10:10 AM Re: car problem (Way OT)
squeak_D Offline

Check that fluid for sure. It's most likely a leaking fuel line..., or faulty fuel pump. Fuel pump changes are a pain (especially if the pump's in the tank). Those are a pain to change yourself. (note to self.., don't EVER help someone change the fuel pump on a 1987 Dodge Dakota after finding out the guy filled the tank completey before the change..., knowing his fuel pump was going bad--man that was a nightmare).
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#257780 - 02/22/09 10:11 AM Re: car problem (Way OT)
squeak_D Offline

Holy shit! That van's a 2003 and he pulled and replaced the sparks!!!!!!! How many miles you got on that van? I bet he charged you a nice fee for that spark replacement! Again.., another area garages will soak people on. My Lincoln Town Car at 16 years old with 133,000 miles is still running on the original sparks, and fuel pump.

I'd question that guy on the spark replacement for sure. Ask him why he replaced them. Being a 2003 you could simply CLEAN the sparks.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 02-22-2009).]

#257781 - 02/22/09 10:13 AM Re: car problem (Way OT)
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
Invoice says he replaced 6 spark plugs, 1 fuel filter and 1 pcv valve...Plus oil and the filter...

It smells strongly of gasoline...

This is a 2003 Town & Country MiniVan. Never...EVER...has this thing failed to start...in 3+ years...

It appears the fuel filter has been installed improperly or the wrong type of filter was used...hence the leaking fuel, and smell of gasoline.

That's the first thing I'd have checked.

Ian

#257782 - 02/22/09 10:16 AM Re: car problem (Way OT)
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Holy shit! That van's a 2003 and he pulled and replaced the sparks!!!!!!!

I'd never had a tune up before. The book recommends every 100k miles, I'm a hair over 124K...

what a pain....

------------------
Bill in Dayton

#257783 - 02/22/09 10:17 AM Re: car problem (Way OT)
squeak_D Offline

Fuel filter would depend on where the leak is coming from. Find out where the filter is located. My wife's grandfather has the same van.., and I can run some questions by him if you want.

#257784 - 02/22/09 10:21 AM Re: car problem (Way OT)
squeak_D Offline

At 124k it's a different story. That's an average of just over 20k a year (you put some miles on that puppy didn't ya).... It'd be surprised though if the fuel pump has gone bad. If you got leaking under the vehicle (depending on where it's at) you're more than likely looking a fuel line leak..., or as Ian mentioned a poorly installed filter (which sometimes have bad seals on them)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online