Page 20 of 53 < 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 52 53 >
Topic Options
#257360 - 02/27/09 02:09 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
...so Mike can put my face somewhere..

I can't stop laughing when I think about where I could take that statement.

I love ya, man!

-mike

#257361 - 02/27/09 02:39 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Perhaps Kingfrog could point us to speakers he DOES recommend in the same price range as these things...?

Just so we can tell HIM that we don't really need to listen to them at all to know his recommendation has no value!

Sauce for the goose...

I guess I am STILL waiting for King to let us know how he deals with a customer at his store that slams HIS equipment recommendations at the store without so much as a listen? 'No, how could an arranger be any good? NO....! Don't play me it... I already KNOW that they couldn't POSSIBLY be any good!"

#257362 - 02/27/09 04:15 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Dnj Offline

The 802’s arrived this after noon here………when I picked up the boxes I could feel the nice weight these lil babies had…..after opening the boxes I was very excited to see what all the fuss was about….as I unwrapped them and took them out I was really impressed with the quality build of these speakers…nice thick rubber feet the knobs were tight, nuetric inputs are a blessing also and nothing about them were cheaply made….but still in my head I had that “how good can they be for $220.00 for Two”?………
Well I proceeded to set them up with my S900 to finally give them a good work out…both speakers on the floor 6 feet too each side of me…..I was going to try a few different types of songs to see how they would be and then push some vocals through them also at peak volumes….I set the speakers at 5 Master Vol & flat 0 midrange…I started with a nice Latin number with some strong bass and I couldn’t believe the sound I was getting…crystal clear and punchy more like what I’m used too with much more expensive powered speakers of this size, so far so good……..let me add that these units are SUPER Quiet also.
Next I tried some unplugged acoustic songs to hear the clearness of the speakers low & highs…using Classic guitars, SA sounds & Trumpets etc, …using a Bolero style I was amazed at the nuance of the sounds & stereo separation with the guitars……..Now I’m saying to myself these could really do my small & sm/med gigs with NO problems at all.
Next I pushed them strong with some Disco & Rock & Roll songs & Vocals with my fingers crossed I wasn’t disappointed at all no distortion all clear vocals and this is at stage volume setting on my KB hope my neighbors don’t get mad hahahahahah Not only were the highs so clear but the bass response is amazing for an 8” speaker at this price range nice robust and tight…..Now I’m convinced I certainly made the RIGHT choice & with confidence I will take them on stage for my next two med gigs 100pp each this weekend for sure….. I can only imagine what the 10” & 15” ones would sound like….at this point I would of been happy paying twice the price for these super speakers.
Fran has done it again my friends… these PODIUM pro 802’s get the TWO thumbs up from me for sure…don’t hesitate to order them. I might just get another pair also.Now I'm off to Walmart to buy the Protege` luggage rolling case for these two units.

I'll report back after the gigs………………

dp

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-27-2009).]

#257363 - 02/27/09 04:22 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
8" speakers CAN sound better than 12" speakers...depends on lots of things. Porting, driver quality, Poli or fiber material used. magnet size/quality. and of course the cabinet design in general (solid or ratling) Bi-Amp is best, but not everything.

Bose is expert at making a small physical speaker system sound superb ..but you won't get them for no $200.

Back when I bought Hi-Fi speakers I remember buying DB+ (out of Canada), to me unknown brand...1/3 the price of the Yamaha's, Jenson's etc. I went to a club that had several of them mouted in the ceiling...and a Klipsh folded horn 15" in the wall...My God that system rocked the hell out of you..and very nice & clear. This was during the disco years...and taht music put a load on a system.

The next day I went to the store that did the sound system for them..and bought a pair.

So, I paid 1/3 and had a great system...so...maybe these $240 /pair speakers are way underpriced and very good quality?

I hope they have enough power in the amp..because...if not when you turn them up it ain't gonna be pretty. Most distortion is caused by too low of power amp for the job...(Clpping occurs).

I would like to hear a pair of these some time.

Lee S.

#257364 - 02/27/09 04:30 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
My biggest concern would be that they are short throw and won't push the sound far enough...lows are usually never a problem, but mids and highs can be a issue.

Setting them up in a larger space and playing a SMF through them whilst you walk around in front of them should give you a good idea how far they'll push.

I'm still going to try before I buy.

Ian

#257365 - 02/27/09 04:34 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Lee the 802's have power to spare..I think the design of the case and engineered porting along with a higher quality than we think in the 8 inch speaker and HF driver...make a complete efficient package...Just order them..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 02-27-2009).]

#257366 - 02/27/09 04:37 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Ian, where are you going to try them...The company sells direct to the consumer...not dealers..

And I am telling you they cover a room...period.. ....a BIG room..

#257367 - 02/27/09 04:47 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Well, perhaps they do the job for you Fran, and I'm sure you are pleased with their performance, but I will not buy anything in regards to a speaker system or a keyboard unless I can try it in a similar situation to where it will be used.

I don't NEED these speakers, so it's no big deal if I don't get them...I already have a great system for my restaurant gigs.

I just thought they would be good for a backup or a nice little system for my girlfriend's digital piano.

No try...no buy...no exceptions.

Ian

#257368 - 02/27/09 04:52 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
gcbin Offline

Loc: Huntington, Indiana USA
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fran Carango:
[B]Lee the 802's have power to spare..I think the design of the case and engineered porting along with a higher quality than we think in the 8 inch speaker and HF driver...make a complete efficient package...Just order them..

There ya go Lee. Go ahead and order them and bring them to my next gig so I can try them out. (I am really tempted now, but, alimony ya know!) Gary

#257369 - 02/27/09 06:32 PM Re: Just got my new powered speakers
Musicman22 Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, Fl.
Fran, Donny, whoever tries these speakers this weekend, try them on polls too, not only on the floor. Would be interested if you get a good bass response.

Peter

Page 20 of 53 < 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 52 53 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online